Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
EZE Tow surge brakes eating up the tires

A few days ago go at a stop, a coach pulled in beside us that had a dolly with the tires almost void of all the tread. A neighbor from the other side came over wanting to know about dolly vs flat tow(which I do) since he hadn't set his coach up yet.
We looked over the tires & dolly and every thing seemed fine. He had been somewhere where a guy told him he didn't really need the brakes anyway so they had been removed. Wouldn't have been my choice as a solution.
On top of that he started digging in the back of the toad and came out with another set of tires & wheels that had all the tread gone. That was his first set of tires.
The cause of the tire problem I came up with is all theory, but it makes sense.

The guy said his car was 3000#. Lets say he had another 1000# of weight in the car. Yes, he was using the car as a trailer, the rear was loaded to the roof. All that weight would be on the rear tires. As he pulled the dolly, lets say there was 1000# of weight on the dolly and 3000# of weight on the rear toad tires. Anytime the surge brakes applied pressure to the dolly wheels with 1000# of weight on them, the surge brake cylinder was getting 4000# of weight of the entire toad pressing against it. I can imagine this 4000# load could easily apply too much pressure to the brakes that only had 1000# of actual weight on the tires. It didn't appear that the tires had actually skidded on the pavement, but just had so much drag from the brakes that they just wore away very fast.
I really think it was because he used the toad as a trailer and had it so heavily loaded in the back end.

Something to think about for all those that use tow dollies and want to throw all the extra stuff in the toad to take along.

alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #2

I don't think the weight of the car is the problem. I use the EZETow dolley and have a very heavy car (probably over 3500 lbs, 93 cutlass vert) that I have towed probably a little over 3500 miles. Have changed one tire on tow dolley because someone cut it with a knife, tire tread is still in great shape. Don't know what this guys problem is but I'd keep looking.

1996 Newmar Mountain Aire. 3760 CA
2006 to 2015 Boxer named Cash (aka Cassius Clay)
2016 - Boxer named Chevy
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:01 AM   #3
Official iRV2 Sponsor
The Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly

A good observation. We encounter this a few times a year. Any time the rear axle has more weight on it then the front axle it is a real problem for a dolly. When people use their cars as trailers there are always issues. The most common is rapid excessive tire wear.
The issue is that the imbalance creates a constant slight sway in the rear end of the car being towed. The dolly tires are constantly correcting and resisting that sway. The result is very fast tire wear.
It is not a weight issue necessary, it is an imbalance issue. We try to explain this to people but they continue to do it anyway and just get angry at us blaming the dolly and it's design.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:18 AM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good to know. My EZE-Tow has 5,000 miles towing a small 2500 lb car (AVEO) with no tire wear. I usually have about 200 lbs of 'junk' in the back of the car, but will pay more attention to the car's weight distribution.
I think having/maintaining the correct hitch height (14" to 16" when loaded) is critical to proper break function as well as sway control.
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:09 AM   #5
Only thing I put in the trunk is the ramps. Good information to have in my pocket though
2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
I had a tow dolly with surge breaks for 3 years with no tire ware to speak of. Now I met a guy at a CG that had the same dolly and went through 2 sets of tires in a year. After looking at his dolly I concluded his axel was out of alignment and the dolly was skidding down the road, causing the tires to ware out.
2006 Damon Daybreak 3274 35' Ford F53 V-10
2006 Ion Retired Navy, FAA and PASS Union VP
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Had the same problem, I went through one set of tires until I got a wheel alignment and no more problems.

got 5000 miles on this set and still lots of wear left.

Good luck as this worked for me.

Lyle 'N' Sherry and our2 girls Kiesha 'N' Muffin 1999 National RV Tradewind 7370 'n' a 2005 Kia Sedona on an Automatic car dolly
pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote

tires, tow, brakes, brake