Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
EZpass question

When pulling a CRV 4 down and I have EZpass in MH does the EZpass pay for both vechiles or do I need EZpass on both windshields ?

scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
When pulling a CRV 4 down and I have EZpass in MH does the EZpass pay for both vechiles or do I need EZpass on both windshields ?
The ez pass on the coach will pay for both. There is an axle counter at each toll booth. Just make sure you have registered the vehicles with EZ Pass. That prevents the nasty letters...Take care.

2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Fl. Sun Pass required me to list all the vehicles that will be using the device. However , I think it counts the axels , only problem being is we get charged three tolls instead of two. ??
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Our Texas EZtag toll stations count the axles, so if we're pulling the 5th wheel (not required to be registered with the toll road authority, by the way), the monthly statement reflects the charges for 4 instead of 2 axles. No problems with "nastygrams" from HCTRA, either.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
My EZ-Pass for Va had me register my toad along with my RV so I would not get a fine in the mail. I'm under the impression though if I decided to leave my toad at home I would still be charged for 4 axles. I once made the mistake of using my car EZ-Pass on my motorcycle and I got a fine in the mail a few weeks later. The motorcycle was not registered on the account.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
My Fl. Sun Pass required me to list all the vehicles that will be using the device. However , I think it counts the axels , only problem being is we get charged three tolls instead of two. ??
Cliff
As a sunpass user I am wondering what you mean by three tolls instead of 2. My sunpass charges me for the axle count. 2 axles on MH = 1 normal toll and the next 2 axles are charged 1 normal toll. Just wondering about your condition... You have a 3 axle trailer or something? thanks for the reply
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
As a sunpass user I am wondering what you mean by three tolls instead of 2. My sunpass charges me for the axle count. 2 axles on MH = 1 normal toll and the next 2 axles are charged 1 normal toll. Just wondering about your condition... You have a 3 axle trailer or something? thanks for the reply
I just got on line and tried to figure out what they charged me for in Jan. I only use it twice a year pulling the toad. I trust your memory better then mine . I may be confusing it with some toll bridges. I had a 10 minute losing argument at 4:00 am on the George Washington Bridge when they charged me three tolls a few years ago.
Never mind.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #8

I'm no longer in a hurry and better entertained by traveling non-toll routes. Some may disagree, as time saved means more. And many dont travel as much as we do.

As soon as a trip through Indianna on to Eastern PA equalled a tank of fuel, I decided I had enough time for alternate routes. EZ Pass went by-by.

In PA, going I-80 vs TP I "spend" an extra 45 minutes and save over $1 per minute.

No offense intended.
Just sayin....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #9

In Illinois, we had to register motorhome with tow vehicle (# of axles total) under the motorhome transponder. Since we have a separate transponder for the tow vehicle (when we drive it alone) we need to wrap the tow vehicle transponder in tinfoil when being towed to avoid double charges.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
In Florida, I am charged more when towing the car than I am if I drove the car separately. It was explained to me in such a way I can not explain it myself. It is more than just an axle count. It is how the SunPass system evaluates the axles (timing across the measurement point). For me there is no rhyme or reason. The State legislature determine the rates. Need I say more?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #11

With EZPass you need a different windshield device when you are towing They look at the toad as a two axle trailer. You can do it on line or call and they will send you another one. Mine came in different colors. I thought that was nice.
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
Just one widshiled in Maryland, I have both MH and toad registered. Then it can be used for either vehicle. When towing toad counts as a trailer. For a example a car or motor home toll for the Bay Bridge is $4.00 Towing the toad it cost $12.00. The EZ pass has save me alot of time through Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey as well as other locations.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks for all the responces, I called ezpass and had MH regestered so now good to go.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #14

In PA I needed to setup a commercial account with 3 separate transponders...1 for the MH by itself, 1 for the Toad by itself, and 1 for the MH pulling the Toad. The transponders not in use get stored in the package they were shipped in. This keeps them from being read.