Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #1

EZTOW Advice

I am thinking about buying one of these but have been warned off of regular dollys. Can someone explain the sequence of events when pulling into a campground with one of these? The website says you cannot back up with this attached but it weighs 300+ pounds. Does that mean you can't back up with a car on it but you can to get into your site after the car is taken off or are you restricted to only pull through sites. Or do you have to man handle the 300+ pounds by hand to get it into the back of a back in site. I'm new at this and haven't towed yet, but between buying a blue ox and having a baseplate installed on one of the few vehicles towable 4 wheels down and having to have it re installed if I change tow vehicles and using this for a frountwheel drive sub 3500 lb vehicle with no installation to the vehicle this seems a better option. Also, because I could stand it up it seems to beat a regular dolly with a stick. As always, all help is appreciated by this newbie.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcratchett View Post
I am thinking about buying one of these but have been warned off of regular dollys. Can someone explain the sequence of events when pulling into a campground with one of these? The website says you cannot back up with this attached but it weighs 300+ pounds. Does that mean you can't back up with a car on it but you can to get into your site after the car is taken off or are you restricted to only pull through sites. Or do you have to man handle the 300+ pounds by hand to get it into the back of a back in site. I'm new at this and haven't towed yet, but between buying a blue ox and having a baseplate installed on one of the few vehicles towable 4 wheels down and having to have it re installed if I change tow vehicles and using this for a frountwheel drive sub 3500 lb vehicle with no installation to the vehicle this seems a better option. Also, because I could stand it up it seems to beat a regular dolly with a stick. As always, all help is appreciated by this newbie.
Dolly is easy to move by two people. Can be done by one if on level ground. Lifting the tongue allows a lot of leverage.

It is possible to back a very short distance with car removed from dolly if you lock out the dolly brakes.

LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:00 PM   #3

Not sure why you were warned off a regular dolly other than some folks are very vocally against them. The rest of us find them a reasonable option and a lot cheaper than 4 down towing assuming your vehicle can be towed 4 down. Few people will be able to back a MH with a vehicle on it into a site with anything less than a full trailer. Even that will be fun to watch. One can back a vehicle on a dolly or a towbar back a bit if needed. I've done 30 ft or so to get the dump valve lined up with the pipe while I dumped.

When we started using a dolly I put a hitch on the towed. If it's not a pull through site unload the vehicle then use it to park the dolly. Dolly goes in the back of the site where it's ready to hitch back to the MH after backing in. If the site depth is an issue the tongue can go under the MH while parked. I also carry a come a long but have not needed it as we can move it by hand if the ground is flat or a bit down hill. FWIW After parking I have been known to put the dolly back on the motor home at a right angle then load the towed if I wanted an early start. Just make sure you clear the picnic table. ;-)
Old 09-05-2015, 01:56 AM   #4

I put a 3" caster wheel on the dolly tongue, right behind the coupler.

Rolls around nice on 3 wheels.

We each take a fender and push It where ever we want it to go.

Just need to chock the tires, so it don't roll away.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:13 AM   #5
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
BACKING - YES/NO - Yes you can, but you are backing with two pivot points, The car will try and go one way and the dolly the other, If you are not watching closely, you can jackknife and cause a lot of damage to car, dolly and MH. Short distances (a few feet) should be easy.

BACKING UP Dolly ONLY - YES/NO. After removing the car, the dolly can be backed up, but it is a short pivot point, so use caution. Rather than back with dolly only, it may be easier to just disconnect the dolly and push it back into the parking spot. The dolly is fairly light and can be moved around fairly easily.

After backing the MH into the spot, I usually put the dolly under the back of the MH. or if I plan on leaving the next morning and there is room, I'll reconnect the dolly to the MH.

The dolly gives a lot of versatility in being able to haul just about anything without additional costs or equipment. It is a little more pain to hook up and disconnect than 4 down towing.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:01 AM   #6

I also put a small hitch on my car, that makes moving the dolly around a breeze and its much easier to back into somewhere using the car that the coach. The ACME is light enough to move by hand, but for longer distances (more than 10 feet for me) I use the car.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Bob,

We went with the EZ Tow dolly simply because we did not want to purchase a car just for towing 4 down. I take our tow dolly off the coach when we get home and take it any place I want however. Like the other post indicated, hills would be a challenge for one person. I for the most part stay at pull through locations and never even have to remove the dolly. Once recently I did have to disconnect but a quick discussion with the campground and I knew the site would be level and I was able to store the dolly at the campsite and then backed the coach into the site. There are some campgrounds that prefer you stow the dolly in a designated place but the one time we experienced this they actually took care of it for me. After a couple of times I am pretty good at getting everything disconnected and the car off the dolly quickly. Recently I timed it and removed the car in just over 5 minutes. Now I can tell you, with 4 down you can do the same but, you will need to spend some money, question is how much and does that cost fit with your needs now.

For the price, ease of use and the fact that I have used the dolly in rain and snow it was the right choice for us. There are many folks that tow 4 down and from what I see just as many use a tow dolly. For us, at this time I just did not want the cost of another automobile just to take either of our cars with us. The dolly gives us way more options. If we ever do go 4 down I can easily sell this tow dolly.

In terms of Dolly's, the EZTow was for us hands down the best choice.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hitches are made for almost any Toad
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #9

Personally, I use one of these to move my EZETow around. But I'm an older female with limited upper body strength.

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-...lly-69898.html
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the american tow dolly and it works well, no issues at all at camp grounds while traveling. Tow dollies are easy and great if you don't have a car that can be tow 4 down, it takes a few more minutes but thats ok I'm not in a hurry anymore.

Tags
advice, tow