Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #15

I just had my '16 F150 wiring harness installed. On my previous Jeep Wrangler, I noticed that during towing, applying the MH brakes while the turn signal was on would result in just the brake light on the Jeep. If the turn signal was on without braking, the Jeep's tail light would flash correctly. I figured this was somehow due to the simplicity of the Jeep. Or it was wired incorrectly.

I discussed this with the installer before they worked on the F150. This truck uses the CAN bus system, which multiplexes different functions over a single wire. Unfortunately, they were unable to provide discrete braking + turn signal functionality because of this design. For most of the F150 towing, I'll have a touring motorcycle in the bed of the truck which will obscure the truck's CHMSL. Fortunately, the rear coach lights are mounted fairly high up and should provide good visibility.

Demco is apparently working on a decoder module which would allow this, but it's not available yet. BTW, the BLIS still works!

Barmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 09:26 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
F-150 With Blind Spot System

Maybe it is just me, but it seems that auto companies have over complicated something as simple as their brake light wiring. (Not unique to Ford). Apparently what has worked for nearly a century isn't applicable today. It seems that we are held hostage as consumers to over engineering. It used to be that engineering had pride with balancing longevity, affordable and supportable (fixable) solutions. BMW was always the expensive exception to this rule.

Not meaning to complain - more of an observation. It is awesome to see how folks here find solutions!

wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
I just had my '16 F150 wiring harness installed. On my previous Jeep Wrangler, I noticed that during towing, applying the MH brakes while the turn signal was on would result in just the brake light on the Jeep. If the turn signal was on without braking, the Jeep's tail light would flash correctly. I figured this was somehow due to the simplicity of the Jeep. Or it was wired incorrectly.

I discussed this with the installer before they worked on the F150. This truck uses the CAN bus system, which multiplexes different functions over a single wire. Unfortunately, they were unable to provide discrete braking + turn signal functionality because of this design. For most of the F150 towing, I'll have a touring motorcycle in the bed of the truck which will obscure the truck's CHMSL. Fortunately, the rear coach lights are mounted fairly high up and should provide good visibility.

Demco is apparently working on a decoder module which would allow this, but it's not available yet. BTW, the BLIS still works!
That's just one of the reasons I went with the LED light strip recommended by walt2137. The light strip gives you all functions of running, turn, brake, and emergency flasher. The Patriot brake system adds the truck brake lights to the mix when it depresses the brake pedal.
Works like a charm and I didn't need to add diodes to anything.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"JohnH12"....I'm like "walt2137" and installed a large diode in the charge line form the coach to the toad. I used one like this for Amazon Amazon.com: 40 Amp 600 Volt Blocking Diode: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"JohnH12"....I'm like "walt2137" and installed a large diode in the charge line form the coach to the toad. I used one like this for Amazon Amazon.com: 40 Amp 600 Volt Blocking Diode: Patio, Lawn & Garden
I went without the diode. The 12V line fron the RV is switched so it's not hot when the RV isn't running. I may change that later but for now I'll leave it as is.
I plan to check the toad battery voltage periodically during the next trip to verify that there isn't any loss due to backfeeding.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:47 PM   #20

F150 with BLIS System

I have a 2016 150 Platinum with the BLIS system and have been reading the posts of walt2137 and JohnH12 concerning the LED strip lighting mounted on the tail gate . When I visited the EBAY site it says that this Strip light is not compatible with my truck. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? It looks like a great solution for me if it will work.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:13 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by REC0427 View Post
I have a 2016 150 Platinum with the BLIS system and have been reading the posts of walt2137 and JohnH12 concerning the LED strip lighting mounted on the tail gate . When I visited the EBAY site it says that this Strip light is not compatible with my truck. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? It looks like a great solution for me if it will work.
Sure look real close at the picture I posted and you will see that I installed the light strip at the bottom of my tailgate and on the Chevy it is installed under the bottom of the tailgate and that is why they say it won't work on a Ford F-150.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:19 PM   #22

If you plug the light strip into your truck Trailer receptacle it thinks a trailer is connected so the bliss and reverse sensors are disabled. Run a 4 way wire to the truck front grill and the strip works off the RV Trailer plug. Has nothing to do with your truck since the light strip thinks it's plugged into the RV . At least that's what I did and it was works perfectly .
Old 08-11-2016, 02:57 AM   #23

JohnH12 and Walt2137, when installing the LED bar on the tailgate, did you use only the tape supplied on the LED bar by the manufacturer or did you use other additional means to secure it? How is it holding up over time?
Old 08-11-2016, 04:42 AM   #24

I didn't add anything and it's holding right where I put it.
Just to clarify, I used the led strip, not the bar.
If I had to do it again I'd use the bar. My installation is a little wavy with the strip. Not so anyone notices but I know it's there.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcofnorco View Post
JohnH12 and Walt2137, when installing the LED bar on the tailgate, did you use only the tape supplied on the LED bar by the manufacturer or did you use other additional means to secure it? How is it holding up over time?
I used and attached the bar with the tape that came with it, I do have 3M tape if it turns loose but did not need it.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #26

American Coach Owners Club
I also have a 2015 F150 4x4 Lariat that I tow. I could not use the light strip or bar because I haul a Goldwing in the back of the truck and the large top of the tailgate that houses the step completely covers the LED strip when the tailgate is open. So when I had the bike in the bed, which is always because we full time, the LED strip could not be seen.

Also I didn't want to mess with the truck LED tail lights or the BLIS system. My alternative was to buy two flush mount trailer LED fixtures 6" long and oval on each end and mount those in my bumper. Then I just wired those to a plug in the front bumper and treated it as a trailer. I think it looks just fine, actually had a few people ask if it was a factory install. It works great and is easily seen with the tailgate down. AND the truck is not involved at all. Exact principal as the LED strip.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:07 AM   #27

That's another great option. My light strip can't be used when I put the golf cart in the truck so I just use a $25 set of magnetic lights. They sit on the step at the rear of the cart.
Lots of good options to avoid any accidental shorts in the truck electronic system.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #28

F150 with blind spot system

I have a 2016 F150 Platinum that I tow behind my Motorhome. I fashioned a peice of angle measuring 1/2 " X 2" out of a peice of light metal. I then mounted a LED strip light to the 1/2" side with Construction adhesive. I slid it under the tailgate and screwed it to the bumper from underneath with a couple of screws. It does not interfere with the operation of the tailgate or any of the warning systems. I just ran the wires from the front of the truck to the rear and plugged it into the strip light. Works great, no fooling around with the truck lighting.