Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #1

Factory Trailer Brake Wire Location?

Anyone know if the coachmen RV's shipped with factory trailer brake controllers? Or at least had the wires under the dash?

My coach is in my sig, and the new trailer I built has brakes so I will need a brake controller.

I have installed one in my truck for it so no biggie but was just wondering if wires are labeled by any chance?

Custom Built 28.5' Car Hauler
Magoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
I assume u are talking about your motor home having a brake controller. No on the controller but you should have a blue wire under the dash on the driver side. That is if you already have a 6 pin or 7 pin connector in the rear by your trailer receiver.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
I assume u are talking about your motor home having a brake controller. No on the controller but you should have a blue wire under the dash on the driver side. That is if you already have a 6 pin or 7 pin connector in the rear by your trailer receiver.
Yes i have the 7 way on the back of the RV. Would there already be a tap in the brake pedal sensor? or would I need to splice one myself?

Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Good question. On my 2000 I just had to find the blue wire and take it from there. The blue wire was from the seven pin so I just needed to add the power to the controller. Not sure if it is done different on the newer ones.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
Good question. On my 2000 I just had to find the blue wire and take it from there. The blue wire was from the seven pin so I just needed to add the power to the controller. Not sure if it is done different on the newer ones.
? You have to have some kinda brake sensor connected to the controller or else it never knows when to engage the trailer brakes...? The blue wire is only for power TO the brakes on the trailer. Still need 3 other inputs to the controller, usually 12V, gnd, blue brake wire, and brake sensor wire

Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #6

If you have a Freightliner chassis you should have a plug under the dash that looks like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6801.jpg
Views:	1132
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	32773

Some even have a pigtail attached (such as mine). These are the hook ups in the pigtail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6804.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	32774
Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford motorhome chassis have the wires taped together and taped to the bottom of the steering column (just like the Ford pickups without factory brake controllers). Start there and those wires will connect directly to just about any brake controller you want to use.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Magoogle, what chassis do you have?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #9

Freightliner

RV is in for repairs at the moment, so I cant go look at it yet. Getting a new jack system installed. among other things ha

Tags
brake