RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #15

I've really liked the Stay-N-Play Duo, it's permanently in there, so to get going you just flip a switch after plugging everything in. I ran a 12v power to keep the toad battery charged, and then used the Brake controller wire in the RV backwards to illuminate an LED on the dash so I know when the brakes are applied. I also wired a relay to the switch that turns it on that turns off the stereo in the car, which is a good indication it's on (and reminds me if it get's left of).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 10:46 PM   #16

Well since no one has mentioned it I will say the road master invisibrake. It’s mounted underneath the front seat of our Jeep and is out of the way. Simple to plug in and go.

elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:04 PM   #17

Favorite TOAD brake system

Love my M&G system and brake-away!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:20 AM   #18

Everyone will tell you that the one they have is the best.

I would not purchase a used braking system unless it is currently attached to a toad I am purchasing. You may be saving some $$$, but don't know what installation and/or operating problems you might encounter.

We have the M&G system and find it to be an excellent braking system. It is tied directly to the toad's hydraulic brakes.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
Everyone will tell you that the one they have is the best.

I would not purchase a used braking system unless it is currently attached to a toad I am purchasing. You may be saving some $$$, but don't know what installation and/or operating problems you might encounter.

We have the M&G system and find it to be an excellent braking system. It is tied directly to the toad's hydraulic brakes.

Do not buy used - they do not last forever - you have no way of knowing the age -

I have used Air Force One for 4 years much better than the portable unit that I hooked up to the brake peddle
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #20
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No comments about ready brake or ready brute?

I just sold my toad and removed the invisibrake but will not reinstall it. I am seriously looking at the ready brake because I have the tow bar and the installation is simple.

I already wired my toad (F150) with diodes and installed a charge line as well. The Ford Edge was a power hog so a real charge line was a must. The F150 with the keyless entry will probably be a power hog as well.

I had the stay in play on my H3 Hummer and was never happy with that. The Invisibrake has its drawbacks as well but did a fair job for 7 years.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
...or you could use a 20 amp circuit breaker and a diode...personal preference
At first, that is what I did. After doing so, I was concerned that if there was a problem with the MH charge system it would drain the toad battery and I would be stuck on the side of the road with 2 dead vehicles. Purchased a "Toad Battery Charger" from RVI, which is a one way circuit (to toad battery - not from) and have not had any problems keeping the toad battery fully charged.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
At first, that is what I did. After doing so, I was concerned that if there was a problem with the MH charge system it would drain the toad battery and I would be stuck on the side of the road with 2 dead vehicles. Purchased a "Toad Battery Charger" from RVI, which is a one way circuit (to toad battery - not from) and have not had any problems keeping the toad battery fully charged.
...ahh, but that is what the diode is for! RV to TOAD but not the other way. RVI works too.
Sbrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
No comments about ready brake or ready brute?

I just sold my toad and removed the invisibrake but will not reinstall it. I am seriously looking at the ready brake because I have the tow bar and the installation is simple.

I already wired my toad (F150) with diodes and installed a charge line as well. The Ford Edge was a power hog so a real charge line was a must. The F150 with the keyless entry will probably be a power hog as well.

I had the stay in play on my H3 Hummer and was never happy with that. The Invisibrake has its drawbacks as well but did a fair job for 7 years.

Used the Blue Ox Patriot for years which is made by Brake Buddy..but grew tired of the lengthy setup procedure and standing in the rain while it went through its three brake applications only to find that I needed to adjust and re-test..very frustrating. I now use the Ready Brake and it's a set and forget mechanical device with zero electronics.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
I've really liked the Stay-N-Play Duo, it's permanently in there, so to get going you just flip a switch after plugging everything in. I ran a 12v power to keep the toad battery charged, and then used the Brake controller wire in the RV backwards to illuminate an LED on the dash so I know when the brakes are applied. I also wired a relay to the switch that turns it on that turns off the stereo in the car, which is a good indication it's on (and reminds me if it get's left of).
That's what we use, haven't had it long enough to tell about it (probably 3000 miles) but so far it's a good deal. The dealer that put it in told me DEMCO bought out the company that made Air Force One. Anyway it works for us, and is easy to hookup and unhook when traveling...
GRUBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #25

Love my M&G breaking unit. Easy installation.
Jpiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:08 PM   #26

Myron, I am thinking of buying a Ford Edge for my toad. Towing in neutral as directed seems like it could harm the tranny? What is your experience? Rockit350
rockit350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockit350 View Post
Myron, I am thinking of buying a Ford Edge for my toad. Towing in neutral as directed seems like it could harm the tranny? What is your experience? Rockit350
Not Myron but...if the owner's manual provides approved flat towing instructions...follow them.

I can't speak for the Edge but our CRV has been towed over 50K miles in neutral per instructions.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:19 AM   #28
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockit350 View Post

You must be absolutely sure the MODEL of Edge is towable. There are several version and not all are towable.

Mine was a 2012 FWD not AWD, 3.5 V6, for example. I just bought a Ford F150 and the first thing I tried before buying was the towing setup. It went into towing mode in seconds and let me know right on the dash.

The Edge was easy to put in towing mode. If you use some sort of toad brake be sure to pump the brakes just before getting out to drain the residual assistance.

I had to replace the transmission just after warranty of course. I believe there may be a bit of history with some model Fords so won't blame the car on this one by being towed. I did not stop as often as recommended either to run it so this could contribute to the issue.

It needs a good charge line and I ate a few batteries along the line. The Edge is a very comfortable hot rod although the new pickup is faster and handles better. Wow, two turbos really wake up a truck and it only weighs about three hundred pounds more.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, toad