Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:36 AM   #1

Fewer and fewer tow capable cars

The list of cars capable of being flat towed is getting smaller. The Honda CRV is gone and I saw in the FMCA magazine that Subaru is hedging on their cars. Many of the currently towable cars are ones I don't care to own, so I'm going to continue to use my 2002 CRV until it dies.

Hey car manufacturers!! How about stepping up and giving us more choices.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post

Overall the use of vehicles for toads is a very small market, so the vehicle manufacturers aren't going to listen no matter how loud we yell.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #3

Manual transmissions are going the way of the dodo as more and more younger drivers don't want them, performance of modern automatics is actually quite good. I don't know what goes into making an automatic towable versus not, but if it were cheaper to make it towable they would all be.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Overall the use of vehicles for toads is a very small market, so the vehicle manufacturers aren't going to listen no matter how loud we yell.
It is very small market # compared to the millions of cars/trucks/suv's sold yearly.
It also does away with any type of warranty claim or work that has to be done, especially if the maker/owners manual clearly states the vehicle cannot/should not be towed 4 down.
We tow a 2013 Subi Crosstrek, and when we purchased it, told sales and mgr that we were going to tow 4 down, and was told no problem. We're 6 time Subi owners, so I knew what to ask and look for.
Forward to 2016. Subi's with manual tranny are no longer listed. Checked with our longtime dealer, who told me that nothing mechanically had changed, and that the manual tranny Subi's could still be towed 4 down, but against the owners manual and makers recommendation, therefor any damage incurred would NOT be covered by thew warranty.
Just a sign of the times. Keep your older toads in good condition for the long haul.
Grumpy
Old 05-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Manual transmissions are going the way of the dodo as more and more younger drivers don't want them, performance of modern automatics is actually quite good. I don't know what goes into making an automatic towable versus not, but if it were cheaper to make it towable they would all be.
Not just younger drivers but older ones fighting bad knees, bad hips etc from the ravages of arthritis..
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
The list of cars capable of being flat towed is getting smaller. The Honda CRV is gone and I saw in the FMCA magazine that Subaru is hedging on their cars. Many of the currently towable cars are ones I don't care to own, so I'm going to continue to use my 2002 CRV until it dies.

I was really thinking about getting a new CR-V to replace the '05 Odyssey we've been towing for years. But the Ody is paid for, it's all set up and I just had the almost $3,000 105,000 mile service done. Should be good for another 10 years now and I might not be!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I depends on the pump in the trans. To be towable the trans pump has to operate off the output shaft of the trans so it's pumping fluid while towing. Most work off the input so the engine has to be running to circulate the fluid.
And, as has been pointed out, some manufacturers don't want the warranty problems that some owners make for them so they just make a blanket statement that they're not towable. Doing so makes any damage your responsibility.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #8

I like manual trannys, it's another form of anti-theft for your car. Most people don't have a clue how to drive one.
I was looking at the 2016 Dingy Towing Guide, and was surprised how many cars are towable 4 down.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:12 AM   #9

I would imagine Remco, Blue Ox and the other companies of that ilk are scrambling a bit to find a solution to the 4 down towing. Yes it impacts us but towing is their business......................

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:18 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Perhaps the companies making tow dollies are happy.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #11

Technically, I'll bet a lot of cars are towable, but the manufacturers and their lawyers won't allow it for liability/warranty issues.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #12

With the number of non-towable AWD vehicles, I'm surprised we haven't seen some specific lightweight trailers come to market to keep the weight within tow limits of 5,000 lbs. There are aluminum trailers, but still there are ways to lighten them up even more. Let's face it, the smaller SUV is one of the more popular designs being sold today.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just replaced my 2004 Saturn Vue with a 2016 Equinox. It tows nicely and was not to difficult to set up. I installed the base plate myself with some help and also wired the lights. So far I like it very much.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #14

Recently bought a 2016 Kia Soul base model w/ m/t so could be towed 4 flat. Weight of the base model is <3,000 lbs. Waiting on Roadmaster base plate and tow bar. Plan to install the base plate myself.
$13,000 OTD on the Soul. Small on the outside, large on the inside (lots of leg and headroom - I'm 6 ft tall). Fun to drive w/ the 6-speed tranny.

TexasProud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow