Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:54 PM   #1

Fiat 500 base plate and hitch

I bought a Fiat 500 manual to flat tow. What is a good basic tow package? I really don't want electric brakes that require you to leave the key on. This car seems light enough, but I would like some input on that subject. I've heard mention of a cable assemble that attaches directly to the brake pedal. Is a lighter-weight tow bar safe enough for this car? I want whatever I will need, but not an overkill. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 08:10 PM   #2

I have a Fiat 500 and I went with the BrakeBuddy braking system that does require power, however I ran an additional outlet that I connected directly to the battery. I also use a 7-pin connector and use the Aux line from the RV to charge the battery in the Fiat with the use of a battery maintainer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...hps_bw_g263_i3

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-39332-.../dp/B004RCXB8A

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Ci...tlet+with+fuse

Old 06-01-2016, 06:35 AM   #3

We f
Old 06-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

I tow a Fiat 500. I have a blue Ox baseplate with no aux braking. Car is lighter than utility trailer and motorcycles I've towed for many years. I don't think a brake system is at all needed although might be legally required in some states.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #5

Thumbs up Good recommendation

Thanks. I did just that. Went with Blue Ox and no electric brakes. I researched the brakes. Seems that states that say you need the brakes has a weight limit. The Fiat is exempt. Ready to hit the road!
Old 08-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #6

It isn't just supplemental braking systems, but also brake away requirements. Here's a list of each state's requirements:
State and Province Towing Laws - NSA RV Products
Old 08-07-2016, 12:14 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is the law that you have supplemental braking on the TOAD due to its weight in most states. Beside it just makes good sense, you would think that 2k lbs would not make a difference when stopping but depending on what it's behind it can make a world of difference. Even in city traffic when that idiot cuts you off.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H 2002 Revolution View Post
I tow a Fiat 500. I have a blue Ox baseplate with no aux braking. Car is lighter than utility trailer and motorcycles I've towed for many years. I don't think a brake system is at all needed although might be legally required in some states.

My Smart Car toad at 1800 lbs is legal to tow without brake assistance in 48 of the 50 states. The two states that brake assistance is required are California and Nevada (guess where I live?).

It is my understanding a braking system is required on all toads in Canada. You don't want those Mounties coming down on you.

BTW, I use a Brake Buddy directly wired to the battery.

jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote