Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #1

Fiat 500 vs SmartForTwo

We have narrowed our choice down to either the Fiat 500 or a SmartForTwo as our Toad. Will be towing with a Sprinter based LTV Unity 24MB. The Smart weights in at a shade over 1800 lbs and the Fiat at 2350. Looking for any input on those with experience with either vehicle.
rtdavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #2

I researched both extensively and actually have driven both. The SmartCar was definitely too small for our needs which included using toad cargo capacity. The Fiat drove well, but it was also on the small side. We ended up with a Hyundai Accent which feels like a much bigger car, gets better mileage, can haul a lot of gear and only weighs 80 lbs more than the Fiat. If I had to choose between the Smart and Fiat, I'd go with the Fiat. It still feels like a car while the Smart is down right scary on the highway.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
While the honda crv is ugly -
it seems to be the toad of choice from all I've seen behind rv's

maybe the honda fit is starting to be used too ?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #4

I did research before I bought my Smart Car. Simply stated from a weight perspective, lighter is better if the size will fit your needs. Never concerned myself with toad weight with my DPs but with a B+ it becomes more significant.

Smarty can carry 2 PAX & 2 sets of golf clubs, (have to take the long clubs and put them in seperate) or groceries. But I suspect the Fiat would have a bit more space as would the Honda Fit but as noted, both are ~500lbs heavier and will require more energy to pull than Smarty. RV performance trumps cost for me.

I have 2 toads, a Malibu Max and the Smart Car. If I need a 4 person car I take the Malibu but the drag is significantly greater @ ~3500lbs vs ~1850lbs. Have not used the Malibu as a toad for 18mo and have put less than 500mi on it during this period. We have two other vehicles plus the RV, so the Malibu seems to be redundant an not worthwhile keeping.

Smarty is a great toad but I would not like to take it on a long trip unless it is being dragged behind my MH. Great for shorter trips say a 100mi radius or so and it can run at highway speeds without problem. It is only ~5ft wide and 8'6" long so it can be parked in a very small space, however with a short wheelbase, one gets the choppy ride one would expect.

Hope my comments help
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We have pulled our smart from Virginia to canada 3x and Florida 3x and even out smartusatrailer our old 1997 bounder couldn't be happier
We love to back up when needed and the trailer is maybe 11 ft and gets back in line with just a few feet if I lose control of drift when backing
I have 85000 miles on my smart and and just today when filling up gas tank I customer asked how it drove and and asked him if he wanted to take one exit trip on the highway.... They loved it and so do I
I try to keep it parked in the garage as much as possible and safe it for travel fun but today was 70 and I wanted to drive to work this morning so I could make the drive 30 mile highway trip home with the top down...

Jerry Donna Suffolk Va
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #6

We have owed both , never used either as toad .
Yes the fiat has more space but whole family preferred driving the smart soft top .
I did a number of trips 100miles plus no problem agreed it's not as comfortable as an escalade but it's fine
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fiat 500

The FIAT 500 is one heck of an automobile. I have 26,000 on ours. It is trouble free and very comfortable. It gets 37-40.7 mpg and very snappy with the 6 speed automatic.

We have had zero problems with the auto. We take it one 400-500 trips with excellent comfort. We have parked the wifes car and take the Fiat.

The one draw back concerning the Fiat. You get a lot of attention and conversation with the auto. We have been stopped going down the hwy wanting to know about the car!

The engine is built in Detroit by Chrysler and built in Mexico by Chrysler.
The semi trucks do not bother the car or the wind also.

The car has 7 airbags. The car has been the top safety pick for both year models by the HIIS.

You will not be unhappy with this auto.

Larry:da nce:: dance:
DeBUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
love my smart and so does dw take it any where 45 mile per gal
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We have a Fiat 500 Abarth, it is a manual so it can be towed 4 down. I am not sure why guys think they want to race every time we hit a stop light thou. Thom just throws it into sport mode and takes off. We leave them in the dust without going too much over the speed limit.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:24 AM   #10

Traded my Smart for a Fiat 500. Smart was cool, but the Fiat feels much more like a real car. Not bashing at all, loved the concept of the Smart. But ours had lots of quality problems early on, and spent a lot of time at the dealership. I have 12k miles on my Fiat, and it's been flawless...

Again, not bashing at all... I know a lot of happy Smart owners!
bglz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschuh53 View Post
love my smart and so does dw take it any where 45 mile per gal
X 2 love it!!
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #12

Thanks for all the input. We are going with the Smart. As everyone has said both cars are great, fun to drive and just a bit quirky. At the end of the day two factors made us pick the Smart. First the lighter weight and second we wanted a moonroof as opposed to a convertible (rear vision poor on both with top down) and my head hits the rood on the Fiat with a moonroof. Also got just a super deal on a 2013 dealer loaner with 2500 miles.
rtdavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #13

I think you will be pleased, the Smart is a fun thing to drive and it can squeeze into very small parking places,

As I noted in a previous post, IMHO, lighter is better. For most jurisdictions, toad brakes are not required by law on a vehicle under 2000lbs. However I installed Ready Brake cables and use a Ready Brake just because more braking is better, (I tested my stopping distance with and without the brake applied. I could stop within the most stringent distance of the state laws without the Brake applied, but I can stop in a shorter distance with the brake on)

Wiring up the lights is sooo simple. Just run the flat 4 wire cable from the front to rear. I did mine with support from a mechanic who was also doing the base plate, (he was a Smart Car mechanic who knew the Smart inside and out). He quickly removed the undercover and put the cable in a flex conduit and ran it along the PAX side and entered the rear compartment and ran the wires above the engine compartment, (under the rug in the trunk area) and I put diodes just behind each light assembly and because it was so easy I put diode protection to the LP light. (This is a legal requirement in many jurisdictions, albeit I have never done this before, nor have I ever heard of anyone being cited for this infraction of not having a toad LP light working.)

We put the Ready Brake cable in at the same time we did the baseplate and lights. It was with everything off in the front.

Good luck
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:44 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Debusk: does the 500 L measure up as well? How about as a toad?

Barry