Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #1

Figuring it all out...

I am very new to all of this RVing, towing, electrical, etc., etc., etc. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2013 Jeep Wrangler, 2D, 4WD as a towed vehicle and as my daily driver (trading in my FJ Cruiser).

From what I have read on these and other forums is that Jeep does not have a plug and play device for the lighting system...you would think that they would knowing that it could increase market share.

I like to be a solid as possible whenever I do something, so my question boils down to, what is a very reliable way in which to control the lighting in a towed 2013 Jeep Wrangler?

Is it possible to charge the Jeep battery while driving the motor home?

Jeeps do not have a place for magnetic lights, but I've read about folks who use adhesive to attach plates to attach the magnetic light. Again this does not account for the license plate light or side-marker lights.

I hate doing things twice or three times...so here's hoping I can get it right the first time. Which does not happen too often.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #3

My 12 tows great. No key on. no batt drain.
Follow the manual CAREFULLY to put the xfer case in N, trans in P. Lock and roll.
The Towmaster lighting kit has isolation diodes, installs easily, works great!

Happy trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #4

Just ordered the cool tech deluxe wiring kit with the battery disconnect, why do I need the disconnect since it will tow with the key in the off position? 2012 wrangler 2dr with auto.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #5

We used to attach the TOAD lights on either side of the spare tire. Took a piece of angle iron and ran it behind the tire, then 2 extra long U bolts I bought (wrapped in foam, so there's no scratching), and ran the u-bolts through the spokes of the spare rim, and voila....no sticky pads, no drilling holes etc. And the lights on the spare tire sit about as high as they would on the roof of a coupe, so it's just fine.

TOAD light kits usually consist of ugly round light, so what a friend of ours did was wire up a pair of really nice, square low-profile LED lights, and mount then inside the rear window (I think they mounted with 2 sided tape). That way they're bright, and always in the vehicle...but not noticeable.

Welcome to the Jeep club.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Use the forum search function for more about Jeep towing than you will EVER need to know.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #7

I have a 2012 Wrangler and use the Currie Enterprise tow plate Cool Tech wiring for lights and the Toad Charger to keep the battery charged while towing.
Mody n Domy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:56 AM   #8

2012 Wrangler unlimited. I installed the 3rd bulbs in the tail lights and ran the harness to the front of the jeep took about 2 hours, no connection to the jeep wireing at all, M&G air brake for the brakes once installed just plug it in and go. That way the folks at the dealer have nothing to say about any electrical warrenty issues. Key in my pocket no battery disconnect required. However lots of folks use the Cool Tech set up.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
I am very new to all of this RVing, towing, electrical, etc., etc., etc. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2013 Jeep Wrangler, 2D, 4WD as a towed vehicle and as my daily driver (trading in my FJ Cruiser).

From what I have read on these and other forums is that Jeep does not have a plug and play device for the lighting system...you would think that they would knowing that it could increase market share.

I like to be a solid as possible whenever I do something, so my question boils down to, what is a very reliable way in which to control the lighting in a towed 2013 Jeep Wrangler?

Is it possible to charge the Jeep battery while driving the motor home?

Jeeps do not have a place for magnetic lights, but I've read about folks who use adhesive to attach plates to attach the magnetic light. Again this does not account for the license plate light or side-marker lights.

I hate doing things twice or three times...so here's hoping I can get it right the first time. Which does not happen too often.
Just yesterday I install my baseplates and "plug and play" wiring on my 2013JK.... it took around 5 hours to complete the entire job...

I had to drill 4 holes to bolt the baseplates to frame, and I had to alter the plastic belly pan...

The wiring is "plug and play"....fool proof...