Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
2015 Willy Wheeler edition Wrangler here. Blue Ox baseplate and wiring kit. Reused Ready Brake and Blue Ox tow bar from last toad.

I think this is the wiring kit we bought, ours is a two door. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ywords=BX88285 It does not look exactly like the picture but it is plug and play. One piece so you will have to fish the tail light plug wires from one side to the other. It did make it so there are no splices in it.

Key goes in your pocket after getting it hooked up and the transfer case in N. Your manual may say to shut off the engine then place the transfer case in neutral. We could never get it to do that without it running. After it is and you go to put it in park (automatics) do shut off the engine before or the gears grind.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #16

[QUOTE=walt2137;3103205]JF you might want to read this long thread on the Roadmaster Invisibrake problems before you decide. I use the Roadmaster Brakemaster on the Kia and the M&G on the F150, I don't think you can beat the M&G for ease of installing and hooking up also one other plus to the M&G system is that it will not activate the brake lights on the toad when braking the coach and cover up the turn signals.

Well Walt, i just read the invisibrake issue and yes i think that i will consider another system, i'll take a look at M&G.
Thanks

Old 06-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Subscribe...

We just bought the 2016 Sahara Unlimited Hardtop in Silver. Very happy with it.

Our bikes fit in the back with the front wheel removed. Very excited to get it set up for towing now.

For brakes...I ordered the SMI AF-1. I like the design. Quick connect airline and your in business. No electrical drain (save a breakaway. And if that activates...it's a bad day in paradise.) Blue Ox Aventa LX towbar, Blue Ox base plate, and Blue Ox 7 to 6 pin wiring coil.

For lighting I found the Mopar towed vehicle wiring harness on Amazon. It does require that your connector on the coach supply 12vdc. It hooks up to existing connectors in the passenger side kick panel. It comes with a 7-pin connector...but I like the Blue Ox coiled wiring better.

Looking forward to flat towing...

Does anyone use the TST TPMS? I'm wondering how tough it's going to be to find metal stems for the 18" wheels that came with the Jeep???? if Mopar makes them with the Jeep TPMS sensors attached???

Look forward to following your setups....and how you like towing the Wrangler.

Our tow dolly is available if anyone needs one... We towed our '09 RAV4 on two trips. Had to rig a toad charger to keep the battery from dying with the key on to keep the steering unlocked. But the real kickers was all the faults it caused after towing. Electric steering module would take its sweet time working again. ABS, Trac, VSC, faults... And after our last trip ...the VSC started activating in a very inappropriate manner causing the front right brake to engage as we tried to drive it. Shop had to reset and recalibrate everything to get it working again. No more car dolly for us.
I have the TST sensors on our Wrangler and use the stock valve stem. Towed almost 10,000 miles with no problems.
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:16 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well"..since I couldn't confirm what was in the OEM...I wound up getting Dorman Direct Fit TPMS units to take to the Tire Shop. I come to find out that the stem JEEP uses is the VS-950 rubber stem. So, If you want to replace these with metal stems...look for VS-925A, VS925B, or VS-925C...the first being Aluminum, the second Black, and the third Chrome.

I like the Dorman Stems...but It can be done a lot cheaper using the VS-925 part. Easy find on Amazon.com

Well...back to putting in the hitch reciever on the back for bike racks, the wiring for that hitch, and finally tackle the SMI AF-1 brake system install.

Then a tall cold drink or two ��

If you want to consider the Mopar harnesses for wiring lights...they are:

Tow vehicle wiring harness. 82211156AB

Trailer tow wiring harness. 82210213

Both are plug and play...although I decided to connect the wiring to the RV thru the Blue Ox 7 to 6 pin coiled wiring kit.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Well"..since I couldn't confirm what was in the OEM...I wound up getting Dorman Direct Fit TPMS units to take to the Tire Shop. I come to find out that the stem JEEP uses is the VS-950 rubber stem. So, If you want to replace these with metal stems...look for VS-925A, VS925B, or VS-925C...the first being Aluminum, the second Black, and the third Chrome.

I like the Dorman Stems...but It can be done a lot cheaper using the VS-925 part. Easy find on Amazon.com

Well...back to putting in the hitch reciever on the back for bike racks, the wiring for that hitch, and finally tackle the SMI AF-1 brake system install.

Then a tall cold drink or two ��

If you want to consider the Mopar harnesses for wiring lights...they are:

Tow vehicle wiring harness. 82211156AB

Trailer tow wiring harness. 82210213

Both are plug and play...although I decided to connect the wiring to the RV thru the Blue Ox 7 to 6 pin coiled wiring kit.

Any helpful tips on with AFOne install?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 06-11-2016, 09:57 AM   #20

I am a M&G fan for its simplicity but its not as easy to install on the Jeep as a pickup. I had a GMC that we towed before the Jeep and install was real easy, the Jeep doesnt have much room so there is some cutting and cussing to get it installed. To me its worth it.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Any helpful tips on with AFOne install?

I'll add more after my install.

So, far...

Check your inventory...I wound up with two female fittings instead of one male one female. The instruction booklet has a slightly different parts inventory than the packing slip inventory.

When you climb underneath to survey...I found these things useful.

Cellphone camera
Brightly colored electrical tape
Paper and crayon
And a printout of the line locations for your chassis.

Having the photos with you will help find the lines that need to be tee'd into. Once found...wrap them with the tape and take a picture. I sent the photo to the SMI technicians to make sure that I identified the correct lines.

The paper and crayon will let you make a rubbing of the frame holes you find for mounting the coach relay and tank. That way when you crawl back out...you have the measurements you need to fashion a mounting bracket for the tank.

I've been told to tape the ends of the air line when you run them underneath to avoid getting trash in them.

Don't forget to pull your lanyards to drain the air system before cutting lines.

I'll be getting back to the install on Wednesday...
Old 06-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Freightliner XCR chassis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0441.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	130103  
Old 06-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF1957 View Post
As the title says i finally bought a new toad yesterday, its a 2016 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara edition full loaded and of corse with the best color (for me) for a Wrangler green tank with olive green leather seats. I was looking for a convertible for toad for a long time but choises where very limited because i want it flat towed. But boy those Wrangler are EXPENSIVE, (don't know why) anyway now i can go anywhere i want.
Good day all
Spartan, I too bought a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited yesterday to upgrade from my Ford Focus toad. Excited to get it all set up to my coach with the base plate and wiring etc. Expensive yes but hopefully will last as long as I'm full timing it. Looking at 10 years. Anvil Grey for me.

Lots of accessories for those Wranglers, should be fun.

See you on the road.

Golfer Guy
Old 06-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #24

I just bought a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport two weeks ago. Confused on the tow bar and base plates. Anyone using the Ready Brute Elite tow bar? Seems simple and easy?
Old 06-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #25

Quote:
I'll add more after my install.

So, far...

Check your inventory...I wound up with two female fittings instead of one male one female. The instruction booklet has a slightly different parts inventory than the packing slip inventory.

When you climb underneath to survey...I found these things useful.

Cellphone camera

Brightly colored electrical tape

Paper and crayon

And a printout of the line locations for your chassis.

Having the photos with you will help find the lines that need to be tee'd into. Once found...wrap them with the tape and take a picture. I sent the photo to the SMI technicians to make sure that I identified the correct lines.

The paper and crayon will let you make a rubbing of the frame holes you find for mounting the coach relay and tank. That way when you crawl back out...you have the measurements you need to fashion a mounting bracket for the tank.

I've been told to tape the ends of the air line when you run them underneath to avoid getting trash in them.

Don't forget to pull your lanyards to drain the air system before cutting lines.

I'll be getting back to the install on Wednesday...

Helpful thank you working mine today.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Helpful thank you working mine today.

When you take the bumper off...to mount the base plater...Thats a really good tome to connect the air dam to the bumper...and line up the Male L bracket...and breakaway switch to drill the 1/4" holes for mounting. I went thru bumber removal a few times. I used a small piece of square steel tubing to drop the breakaway switch a little. I sanwiched the mounting tab between two vinyl washers so I can pivot it 90 degrees to the side when not towing. The Male air line L-brackets is a littl tighter. I used a stack of four washers to drop it down a little.

My freightliner had the service brake relay mounted to the aft side of a huge steel crossmember. On the front side of that same crossmember there were two holes. About 6 inches apart. I took a rectangular piece of steeel plate about 4 x 10" and mounted the tank/relay assembly to is using the two bilts that hold the small air tank on. Then I dri)ed holes on the llate to align with the coach frame. About 6" on center. Two 1/2" bolts, about 2" long secured the plate. I used a fender washer on either side...plus a stack of 3 washers as a standoff to approx. the thickness of the bolts used in the air tank. Painted it vlack...and hooked it all together. Very secure, very accessible...

The coach notification was super easy to install. I started by removing the two bolts holding the sun visor. The panels basically snap off. Mount the led to the back of the rear view mirror and run the wires toward the A pillar. They aren't ong enough to go all the way...so I attached the reed switxh, and ran those wire up toward the A pillar. I make the onnections inside the A pillar...extending the brown wire thru the firewall...and the other two wires just xonnecting the LED module ti the reed switch wires. Added a ground wire to the appropriate side and ran that down to a grounding stud vy the kick oanel.

The 12v positive started at the battery...with the fuse holder. I added a length of red wire to that which I ran along the firewall from the battery on the left to my mounting location on the right ( looking aft) It connect by 3 way butt connector under my control unit t OK the breakaway wire and the brown wire coming thru tje firewall.

The control unit fits neatly along the edge of the engine comparment. I zip tied on end to a llastic part attached there The other end needed an attachment loint...so I removed one of the 10mm nuts there and fastened a small adel clamp there. My zill ties run theu the adel clamp. This places the control unit in a very accessible location...and a short run to the vacuum booster connection point.

Since I now have a rather pricey component under the hood...I'm asding a BOLT hood latch/lock. BOLT products accept your ignition key and take thier imprint the first time you insert and turn the key. You dont have to carry a pocketful of keys...just your ignition key.

I'll try to upload a few pics.

Hope your install goes well!

Charlie
Old 06-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
photos

Here are some photos...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160617_144639.jpg
Views:	27