Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #1

Finally bought a new toad yesterday night

As the title says i finally bought a new toad yesterday, its a 2016 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara edition full loaded and of corse with the best color (for me) for a Wrangler green tank with olive green leather seats. I was looking for a convertible for toad for a long time but choises where very limited because i want it flat towed. But boy those Wrangler are EXPENSIVE, (don't know why) anyway now i can go anywhere i want.
Good day all
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #2

Good choice. Just bought the 2016 75th Anniversary edition in silver to match the motorhome. Now I am researching which brake system to install in the jeep.

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
Good choice. Just bought the 2016 75th Anniversary edition in silver to match the motorhome. Now I am researching which brake system to install in the jeep.

Rick
I'm interested in hearing what you choose. There are a lot of choices with pros and cons to each.

Congrats on the new ride!
tmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Good choice. IMO Jeep is the best toad. They are comfy to ride in and off-roading can be a blast!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Take a serious look at M&G Brake.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Take a serious look at M&G Brake.
I recently put one on my new F-150 ... easy install and works great. Hookup and unhook is a breeze with the air line,line for the lights and breakaway cable.
PanJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmas View Post
I'm interested in hearing what you choose. There are a lot of choices with pros and cons to each.

Congrats on the new ride!
I think i'll go with the Roadmaster invisibrake, always ready, nothing to install on the toad before your trip, still thinking though.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #8

There are so many choices, it is confusing. Almost went with the SMI, but having a hard time with the idea of seeing all of these components installed in my new jeep. I'll get there, but it is a process.

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Subscribe...

We just bought the 2016 Sahara Unlimited Hardtop in Silver. Very happy with it.

Our bikes fit in the back with the front wheel removed. Very excited to get it set up for towing now.

For brakes...I ordered the SMI AF-1. I like the design. Quick connect airline and your in business. No electrical drain (save a breakaway. And if that activates...it's a bad day in paradise.) Blue Ox Aventa LX towbar, Blue Ox base plate, and Blue Ox 7 to 6 pin wiring coil.

For lighting I found the Mopar towed vehicle wiring harness on Amazon. It does require that your connector on the coach supply 12vdc. It hooks up to existing connectors in the passenger side kick panel. It comes with a 7-pin connector...but I like the Blue Ox coiled wiring better.

Looking forward to flat towing...

Does anyone use the TST TPMS? I'm wondering how tough it's going to be to find metal stems for the 18" wheels that came with the Jeep???? if Mopar makes them with the Jeep TPMS sensors attached???

Look forward to following your setups....and how you like towing the Wrangler.

Our tow dolly is available if anyone needs one... We towed our '09 RAV4 on two trips. Had to rig a toad charger to keep the battery from dying with the key on to keep the steering unlocked. But the real kickers was all the faults it caused after towing. Electric steering module would take its sweet time working again. ABS, Trac, VSC, faults... And after our last trip ...the VSC started activating in a very inappropriate manner causing the front right brake to engage as we tried to drive it. Shop had to reset and recalibrate everything to get it working again. No more car dolly for us.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:49 AM   #10

Just wondering, do we need to leave the key in the ingnition to the acc. Position ? Do the steering lock, nowhere in the owner manual they talk about the key !
Old 06-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
2012 Jeep and we take the key out after putting the transfer in N and transmission in P. I use the RVbrake 2 that sits on the floor and goes in quick and easy and will go to the next vehicle if ever. If you are a little handy you can install the tow bracket yourself on the wrangler - be sure to use red locktite. I put led tail lights right in the rear bumper on each side and ran trailer wiring up the frame to the front. The hard top was a good choice. If you want more air, take the doors off and use Body Armor half doors. they fit and look good. jmo mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
2012 Jeep and we take the key out after putting the transfer in N and transmission in P. I use the RVbrake 2 that sits on the floor and goes in quick and easy and will go to the next vehicle if ever. If you are a little handy you can install the tow bracket yourself on the wrangler - be sure to use red locktite. I put led tail lights right in the rear bumper on each side and ran trailer wiring up the frame to the front. The hard top was a good choice. If you want more air, take the doors off and use Body Armor half doors. they fit and look good. jmo mark
Thanks Mark for the input, did you bought the Blue Ox wiring kit ? If so what's the kit number.
Regards
Old 06-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
JF you might want to read this long thread on the Roadmaster Invisibrake problems before you decide. I use the Roadmaster Brakemaster on the Kia and the M&G on the F150, I don't think you can beat the M&G for ease of installing and hooking up also one other plus to the M&G system is that it will not activate the brake lights on the toad when braking the coach and cover up the turn signals.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/roadm...ms-196392.html
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF1957 View Post
Just wondering, do we need to leave the key in the ingnition to the acc. Position ? Do the steering lock, nowhere in the owner manual they talk about the key !
Nope! Wranglers after 2008 do not have a locking steering wheel so it's real easy to set up. If you are thinking at all about an aftermarket front bumper and winch, I would suggest you look at RockHard and LoD bumpers. Both have tow attachment points that are directly tied to the frame. I wish I had done that from the start, but I went with the Demco base plate (which is great by the way) but I added a bumper later and wished I had the two combined in one. The D rings on 99.99 percent of aftermarket bumpers are just welded to 3/16" steel and aren't strong enough to tow with. I also installed the Mopar wiring harness which works great and the RVI2 brake system.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad