Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2017, 12:39 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Finally decided to purchase the EZE tow dolly

I hope it works out for me. I was (and still am) leery about 12 inch rims with 21 inch tires. They are E load rated and 10 ply. For everyone that offered opinions and experiences on dolly towing I thank you. Seems most of you are satisfied with the acme eze tow. I will offer up my experiences in the future. Acme says 80 inches between fenders and my old 02 Camry is 70 wide at the outside edge of front tires and max 72 inches wide at front doors.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats.

If it hasn't been suggested, the first test should be local to home.

A good signal to ensure the car's steering is articulating in a turn... tie a bright ribbon or place a bright piece of tape on the steering wheel. In the turn you should see the wheel spin into the turn in the rear view camera.

After the first hard left and right turn, recheck the straps.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
I hope it works out for me. I was (and still am) leery about 12 inch rims with 21 inch tires. They are E load rated and 10 ply. For everyone that offered opinions and experiences on dolly towing I thank you. Seems most of you are satisfied with the acme eze tow. I will offer up my experiences in the future. Acme says 80 inches between fenders and my old 02 Camry is 70 wide at the outside edge of front tires and max 72 inches wide at front doors.
I wouldn't worry much about the little tires. Think of it this way. How far is a given point on tread traveling in 1 revolution of a 22" tire vs a 12" tire? Although the smaller tire is turning more revolutions in a given distance, forces outward ate greater on the larger tire. I have towed many trailers with these smaller tires with absolutely no problems aside from they do wear faster. Keep them inflated properly and you should experience no issues. And carry a spare.
Crazeee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:10 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Charlie, I think the move to the 12 inch tire was because of concerns with tire wear and quality of the 10 inch tire.

I've got about 15,000 miles on my 10 inch tires towing a 2006 Camry, I don't see any wear problems, I do carry a spare. I love this dolly..... Your 02 and my 06 are the same body style.

The one thing I did (and recommend to other owners) was I installed TPMS sensors inside the dolly wheels and inside the rear tires on my Camry. I then have real time pressure, temperature, and alarms for both the dolly tires and the rear toad.

Dolly / TOAD Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
tpms

Good suggestion on tpms. I have a set of ten. Six for the rv and four to go on the dolly ad rear tires of the Camry.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Congrats.

If it hasn't been suggested, the first test should be local to home.

A good signal to ensure the car's steering is articulating in a turn... tie a bright ribbon or place a bright piece of tape on the steering wheel. In the turn you should see the wheel spin into the turn in the rear view camera.

After the first hard left and right turn, recheck the straps.

Best luck
I use a white plastic store or garbage bag when towing my CR-V four down. Cheap and easy to see.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, tow, tow dolly, dolly