Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2015, 06:02 PM   #1

First pull of our 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited

It was finally time to bring all the pieces together, and take the Jeep for a test pull. Total length of the tow was about 5 miles. I didn't want to take it any further because I still have to mount the breakaway switch. Everything else worked as planned. Blue Ox Aventa LX, Blue Ox Baseplate and RviBrake 2. This was also the first time ute Jeep and motorhome were connected electrically. All the lights and signals work. I must have done something right Anyway, just felt like letting you guys know that sometimes, things do come together as planned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	91289  
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2015, 06:09 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Good job, Bill! That's a great combo! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:30 PM   #3

I still have to figure out how to mount the breakaway switch, in a sea of plastic. I may mount it to the plastic /(fake chrome) grill. As a secondary margin, I plan to run a safety wire from the car to the back of the switch. So in the event of a breakaway, even if the switch pulls off the grill, it will only move a little before the safety wire kicks in. I know it's overkill, but this is something worth the extra effort.

Thanks for everybody's help and suggestions. It made this project easier.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Looks good from the picture. Congratulations. By the way, did you end up using a drop hitch adapter? If so, how many inches is the drop adapter? Also, what did your wiring setup end up as? Do your RV brakelight signals from the rvi2 over ride your toad's turn lights when the motorhome turn signals are turned on? Thanks.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDogRanch View Post
Looks good from the picture. Congratulations. By the way, did you end up using a drop hitch adapter? If so, how many inches is the drop adapter? Also, what did your wiring setup end up as? Do your RV brakelight signals from the rvi2 over ride your toad's turn lights when the motorhome turn signals are turned on? Thanks.
I went straight into the hitch on the coach. From the picture it looks like the Jeep is lower than the coach, but when I originally measured it, the Jeep was higher by 1". The wiring harness was a Demco made for the 2014 - 2015 Jeep Cherokee. The Jeeps brakes when activated by the RviBrake do override the turn signals, but since I have the Rvi set to medium, it only comes on for med to hard braking and the coach's tail lights are visible unless you are NASCAR drafting on the Jeep. So we will see owing goes. I really don't want to get in and play with the wiring anymore if I don't have to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	569.8 KB
ID:	91299  
Old 04-12-2015, 07:06 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Understand. We went straight into our CS hitch when we had our Jeep. We also had externally mounted LED lights that we would hang on the Jeeps rear lights when we traveled. They were wired to the Canyon Star and went over the Jeeps lights so there were never conflicts in terms of what drivers behind us saw. With our current toad we have the same situation that you do since we also use the rvi2 and the lights are wired into the Terrain's rear lights. We like the brake system very much.
Safe travels!
Old 04-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

Congratulations

Glad you're all attached. I also did a couple of 5 mile test runs with the Jeep attached. Glad everything worked out as planned.
rtoy2 is offline   Reply With Quote