Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great Posts, Thanks, I will be doing my practice Run on Sunday for our trip on Wednesday

Stefan, Nicole, and Ian
The Pups - Kaiser, Indar, Itsa, and Marty
2015 Newmar DS 4369
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
One other small tip. Don't drive too far forward when you're pulling in for fuel. If you do, you have a small amount of room to back up, very carefully.

GL Arnold

2003 Ford F150 Supercab 5.4
1997 Keystone Sprinter 24RL
Former Full-Timers
glarnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
Don't forget to release the parking brake.

Let me amend this good tip - Make sure the parking brake is released FULLY.

With a system like Brake Buddy (which I use), it is a little crowded in the driver's foot area. I partially released the foot brake, and it dragged for many miles. Since it was not fully on, it didn't smoke the P. Brake, it just wore the shoes a bit until they ran free.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Just thought of something else. When you put the coach in gear, most of the time it will move without giving it any throttle. If it doesn't, get out and make sure the toad is in neutral! Shouldn't take much imagination to figure out how I learned that one....

One more note

Make sure the transfer case is in netural

The guy that replaced my engine said it looked like it was over reved YA THINK

1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #19
Check your set up every time you stop! I pulled into a Wal Mart after driving for 1000 miles and left with my brother Inlaw and wife for supper. 6 guys standing around at the edge of the parking lot. My brother inlaw asked if I was nervous about leaving. I only thought about our security and I had my gun on my. When we got back we were going to move to the back of a SAMs club and have him and his wife in for a night cap. As I moved all hell broke loose and my Enclave crashed into my Navigator and ended up on top of my Sterling Roadmaster hitch with its wheels of the ground. I walked back and found my hitch pins laying on the parking lot. Should have shot um when I had the chance!
Fades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #20

You could use locking pins........I do and never had a problem......yet
'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
Having a check list that you follow at each hookup is helpful even after the 999th time.
It is a good idea to stop after the first 50 miles and do a walk around. After that do a walk around every time you stop. Check the MH tires for flats and hot hubs and loose lugs at the same time. Make it a routine and it will soon become normal. Never stop for a break and return to the drivers seat without that walk around, you do not know what some nice person may have decided to yank on while walking by. Always make sure there is a way out before turning that wheel. Needing fuel and finding there is not a clear path afterwards will find you unhooking in the middle of a busy drive or street with a line of impatient drivers waiting for you! Seeing the dead end sign on the streetside "after" you make the turn is not fun!
Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #22
Check and double check is the key. Especially the parking brake off, key in position to unlock stearing wheel, shift in neutral, radio and ac off. I always check the toad connections etc @ every stop. Never had any problems w/over 30K towing my 04 Odyssey.
2002 Dutchstar, Spartan Chassis, 350 Cummins, 2012 Explorer.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #23
Entegra Owners Club
Turn off Jeep and pump brakes several times to release the vacuum. Don't forget to pump brakes on tow bus to get some pressure. I found several time the air fitting would disconnect. One even blew apart at the installer. Use the locking pin on the brake pads foot, watch the brake light in the bus to make sure it's working.
Rich USN-Ret & Cindy, Austin TX,
2015 Entegra Coach Anthem 42RBQ
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
navychop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #24
Thanks Will do
LCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #25

All good advice.

Me? Wrangler. 4 down. Xfer case in N, trans in P, lock and go. And then go off-road to see what regular tourists do not.
Just sayin....

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote