Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
LCD

first time four down tow. Tips?

Just equiped our 08 itasca 39z for towing new jeep wrangler unlimited (2013)with
auto trans.
ie; falcon all terrain tow bar;brakemstr air/brake; brakelight relay.
We Live and travel out west. Either going up or down while on the road.
Any tips for the first trip will be appreciated.
Thanks,
LCD
LCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #2

Maybe not right away, but after you've been at it a while, the best tip I can pass on might be don't forget it's back there?

Until then, I generally will hook it all up and do a "walk around". Then I hop in the coach and pull ahead 100 yards or so - and give it a second walk around, paying particular attention to all the connect points.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #3

Just thought of something else. When you put the coach in gear, most of the time it will move without giving it any throttle. If it doesn't, get out and make sure the toad is in neutral! Shouldn't take much imagination to figure out how I learned that one....
Old 09-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Don't forget to release the parking brake.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I always pulled forward a bit, got out and looked over the toad to be sure all was well.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Community Administrator

My DW stands behind the toad and we do a light check ( brake,hazard flashers , left and right signals and lights). I them pull forward about 10 feet to make sure all the wheels are moving and the tow bar locks into place and stop so DW can back in the MH( if we're on speaking terms that morning). . We also lock the toad and have locking pins on the hitch and tow bar arms.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I always pulled forward a bit, got out and looked over the toad to be sure all was well.
We have a system where one of us stands behind the toad while the other sits in the MH and runs through all the lights, turn signals etc. Then we drive forward a few feet while the outside person observes toad wheels turning, no abnormal noises, tow bar latches locked etc.

When we first got set up for towing 4 down, we took the rig to an empty parking lot and checked the turning radius for binding points. On some setups it's possible for the toad and MH to come into contact on full lock turns. Better to check this before the first unplanned U turn .

Edit: What Clifftall said.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
when pulling into parking lots or fuel lots always look ahead for a way to get out. because you can not back up or you will bend your tow bar. no I did not bend mine, but I have had to diconnect a few times to get turned around.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #9

Hi LCD,
Everyone has given you great tips. Check everything and after that, check it all again. I had a friend loose a Jeep on I95 because he forgot to snap a lock pin all the way. Lucky no damage and no one hurt. One thing I do is tie a white cloth to the top of my toad steering wheel. You can see the cloth move when you make a turn and know your front tires are turning by watchin in your camera. Also it will shake from side to side if you get a flat on the toad. Makes me feel a lot better knowing the toad is runnig properly.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCD View Post
Just equiped our 08 itasca 39z for towing new jeep wrangler unlimited (2013)with
auto trans.
ie; falcon all terrain tow bar;brakemstr air/brake; brakelight relay.
We Live and travel out west. Either going up or down while on the road.
Any tips for the first trip will be appreciated.
Thanks,
LCD
I'm towing a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited with my Blue Ox, it's great I can connect or disconnect in minutes. I put the 4x4 lever in N place the shifter into P release the parking brake and lock the doors. As others have mentioned my wife stands behind the toad and via cell phone we confirm the lights and tow is connected correctly and wheels are turning. Wranglers tow great!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
When we got our first MH I had our Jeep all rigged up and was scared to tow it! Of course I was nervous driving the 40ft Discovery without the 5000# Jeep. Now I feel like a pro. The only thing we had happen was having the Break Buddy malfunctioning and needing a full break job after, but break buddy actually paid for it We have a new jeep and coach and I never leave home without the two joining each other.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
KIX

Someone already said this but I think it's very important......check your tow bar connections before driving off after a stop (like for fuel). And locking pins may deter vandalism if you're stopped for lunch
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #13

When you stop for R&R check it over. If you use a break system unplug it overnight. As mentioned Do Not Back Up! Always look for a way out before you pull in.
Schoolsout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't ever assume anything. As stated, check and double check, especially to see if it is in neutral and ready for towing. I use reverse to lock the tow bar. One time I got about 15 miles down the road and one of the little men in my head came running up and spoke to me. I pulled over and went back, inspected, and took it out of reverse. Fortunately no damage. It must have just been 'free wheeling.'

Check, check again, and double check. Lights as previously posted also.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote