Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #1

First Time Towing 4 Down Advice

I have a Blue Ox Aventa LX towbar, Blue Ox baseplate (installed on my 2003 Pontiac Grand Am by yours truly), and the RVI Brake. I will be towing it with the motorhome for the first time this week. I have the owners manual and contacted Pontiac to verify that my 40T45E transmission is good to tow without any further modification. Just looking for advice if there is anything else to be cautious of before towing the first time. I also installed a Blue Ox Light kit for the tail lights of my TOAD. TST 507 with flow thru sensors will be in this week too. Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #2

Keep in mind - backing up is hard to do. Not impossible. But only for a few feet, with close eye on towed steering wheel. If it starts turning, stop.

G L Arnold

Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #3

Sounds like you pretty much have it covered. Just a couple of suggestions. If you have a rear camera in the RV, adjust it so you have a full view of your tow. I also installed a front BRA on my tow vehicle along with a windshield protector. Both were made by a company "LeBra".
Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a law for towing. My wife ALWAYS gets out and looks at all the wheels as I pull forward slowly. She also checks the lights too.

You can pull your toad while it is in park and or the emergency brake is set. You won't notice it until it's too late.

I know.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #5

After you have been on the road for 3-4 hours and pull in to the CG, get unhooked and head out for supper, do not be supprised to smell burned rubber.
As you are driving down the road with no engine running in the toad, rubber residue off the highway will accumulate on the exhaust system of the toad and when you start it up, you will smell this residue burning off for a few minutes so don't be alarmed. It's normal.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
Keep in mind - backing up is hard to do. Not impossible. But only for a few feet, with close eye on towed steering wheel. If it starts turning, stop.

G L Arnold
X2. I tie a white cloth to the top of the toad steering wheel to make it's position easier to see in the rear view camera.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #7

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
We have a law for towing. My wife ALWAYS gets out and looks at all the wheels as I pull forward slowly. She also checks the lights too.

You can pull your toad while it is in park and or the emergency brake is set. You won't notice it until it's too late.

I know.
That is a great idea . . . . .
Old 01-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
After you have been on the road for 3-4 hours and pull in to the CG, get unhooked and head out for supper, do not be supprised to smell burned rubber.
As you are driving down the road with no engine running in the toad, rubber residue off the highway will accumulate on the exhaust system of the toad and when you start it up, you will smell this residue burning off for a few minutes so don't be alarmed. It's normal.
Why do you smell the burning of rubber? am sure the explanation is simple but I don't see it.
Thank you
Dave
Old 01-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
We have a law for towing. My wife ALWAYS gets out and looks at all the wheels as I pull forward slowly. She also checks the lights too. You can pull your toad while it is in park and or the emergency brake is set. You won't notice it until it's too late. I know.
Good advice...hard lesson I'd bet.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
Good advice...hard lesson I'd bet.
I only dragged it for about three feet and my wife spotted it. Left it in park.
No damage done but lesson WELL learned.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #11

Thanks everybody. The test tow will have to be next week, I will be leaving the country for 8-10 days and it will have to wait until my return. I did have a wiring/tail light problem that I resolved today. The 4 way plug on the motorhome was not wired properly for the Jet Connex plug I wired on my tow vehicle, so I wired that properly and then everything worked except the left turn signal. Last night I researched it on this website and a thread lead me to the exact fuse box to check the fuses and sure enough the fuse was blown. I replaced it and everything works perfect. I measured the height difference today between the coach and the car and it will require a 6" drop reciever. I will order that while I am on my trip so it s here when I return. Thankful for the wealth of information this site brings.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

I know.

We found that out too. Also that if you leave the ignition on it WILL drain your battery.

my advice is : Always check twice! If you need a checklist make one.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Den View Post
That is a great idea . . . . .
Nope!! Great Idea, Tony