RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:21 PM   #1

First time towing

Hi everyone. Toad hooked up and preparing for first drive.

2005 Country Coach Magna with a 2014 Jeep GC diesel.

Blue ox base plate on car when I bought it so just got the adapter for the night hawk bar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2183.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	238586

Any tips? Iím a bit nervous but will take it slow. Going from Vegas to San Diego.

Thanks everyone

Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2019, 10:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Speed limit in California is 55 when towing.

What kind of braking system are you using on the Jeep?

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:51 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I live between Vegas and San Diego on I-15. I've always driven 65 mph towing my Canyon/Colorado/Saturn and sometimes 70 mph. Ixve never been pulled over by the CHP. I've driven all over the state in my 25 years of RVing and have never been pulled over and ticketed and I've always had a toad. I've also had an auxiliary brake system in all my toads. Drive the speed that's comfortable for you. Your coach more than likely won't even notice the Jeep is there. Just make it a habit of looking in you rear camera often.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:24 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Mad Greek in Baker CA makes a good lunch or overnight stop. Lots of parking for trucks and RVs. Great food.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:27 AM   #5

Location: 2007 jeep wrangler toad. lifted and locked.US Army Vet 1972-1975 2nd Armored Division
Don't back up.
G jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:04 AM   #6

One rooky mistake to avoid: When unhooking, always make sure toad emergency brake has been applied and/or vehicle placed in park as applicable to your toad. If by chance you forget this step and are on any incline, the toad could roll away (in which case grab the braking system break-away switch lanyard rather than chase the vehicle). Been there and done that. It only takes one time of panic before you will never forget again.

Also... after hooking up, be sure the brake has been released, gear settings are proper for tow (per manufacturer), your braking system is functioning, and you have completed a light/turn signal check.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:05 AM   #7

Location: 2007 jeep wrangler toad. lifted and locked.US Army Vet 1972-1975 2nd Armored Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
One rooky mistake to avoid: When unhooking, always make sure toad emergency brake has been applied and/or vehicle placed in park as applicable to your toad. If by chance you forget this step and are on any incline, the toad could roll away (in which case grab the braking system break-away switch lanyard rather than chase the vehicle). Been there and done that. It only takes one time of panic before you will never forget again.

Also... after hooking up, be sure the brake has been released, gear settings are proper for tow (per manufacturer), your braking system is functioning, and you have completed a light/turn signal check.
Haha! Done the roll away too, luckily I was strong enough to hold it while I got to the parking brake
G jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Came through CA on the way back from Phoenix. New to us rig and I let it get up to 67 on a downhill run even though the cruise was set for 60. Wrote me up for 12 over. First moving violation since high school. Cost me over $400 and too costly to fight it.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #9

Enjoy your trip. The weather is great in San Diego right now.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Tom
We just came back from our first trip with a TOAD. I know what you are going through for sure, the unknown can mess with a mind. We found it to be a bigger deal in our head than reality. We made wider turns at tight intersections but other than that, nothing too it. I did make the mistake of unhooking without the darn car in neutral. I was lucky because it was flat ground.

One benefit I would have never thought of is that when my wife is driving (I'm not a good passenger) if I feel she is getting to close to one side or the other I look at the rear view camera and see that the toad is between the lines and it calms me. I can't see the passenger side mirror from the passenger seat.

Good luck and safe travels.
brandss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just take it easy till you get the hang of it.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and feedback.

Arch, I am using the brake buddy.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Came through CA on the way back from Phoenix. New to us rig and I let it get up to 67 on a downhill run even though the cruise was set for 60. Wrote me up for 12 over. First moving violation since high school. Cost me over $400 and too costly to fight it.
CHP loves out of state plates, sorry for your award.

Did our first trip with a Toad on a dolly. Nervous at each point, but checked the equip on each stop and stress levels lowered as each time things checked out. Did not help the rear camera lost connection and could not check on the Toad, except to see the tips of the dolly.
DbleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:13 PM   #14

I would really recommend a tire pressure monitor if you don't have one already. That coach could pull the jeep with it running on the rim and I don't think you would even know it. Don't back up. Don't get distracted when hooking up. Check your pins any time you stop, there have been people that have had their toad come loose after a stop due to some PERSON ( I cleaned that up) stealing the keeper pins just for the fun of it. My buddy was at a restaurant one time and a sheriffs deputy asked him if that was his motor home with the Envoy hooked to it. When he said it was the deputy told him to be sure and check his pins before he left because kids had been known to mess with them there. Most of all, enjoy your travels, you will hardly even know that jeep is back there and it will follow you right around the corners.
Dave

Tags
tow, towing