Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had 2 Jeeps, an '03 and our current '11. Both tow easy. Transfer case in neutral (for autos and manuals) our automatics tow with the transmission in Park, for a manual, follow your owner's manual to see what gear you will put the transmission in. As the others have said, no backing up with the tow bar (some will say you can for a short distance or by having someone get in the toad to hold on to the steering wheel, but I would'nt want to try and find out). There is nothing worse than hunting for a gas station that you can fit into with a rig and a toad. Generally avoid those that have the pump lanes facing the front of the conveineince store front. Usually the cars that are parked in front of the store will limit your ability to drive and turn as you leave the pump island, they just don't leave enough room in most stations. Conveinience stores that have the pump lanes parrallel to the store front work the best. Even though I usually use truck lanes with my DP, I have had to use a convieneince store out in the middle of no where and sometimes I have my DW get out and stand by a pump to direct cars away from the pump I'm trying to get to, invariably some inconsiderate motorist will dive in front of you when you are trying to get to a pump so having her out there helps. Some restaurants advertise RV parking, most I've seen were designed for shorter RVs and definately not for someone pulling a toad.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All the above.

Just remember that when making right hand turns you want to encroach on the left hand lane just enough to not let someone pass on the right. Pull far enough out so that when you make the turn your TOAD doesn't run up on the curb, or hit a close ple.

When turning left, pull way out into the intersection before making the turn.

My typical rule of thumb is: I'm sitting over the wheels, so when I want to turn I make sure my Butt is where I want to wheels to go, then I start turning - always being aware that there is enough room in front to make the swing.

The better advise given is to use a parking lot when no one is in it. Get some orange cones and practice. You'll get the hang in no time.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #17

You may want to consider a TPMS for your toad and MH. If you lose a tire on the MH you will know if pretty quick. If you lose a tire on the toad, it could be many miles before you are aware of a problem.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all the advice. My Wrangler is an 09 Unlimited. Manual transmission so I should be good there I like the idea of staying in the slow lane and monitoring the wrangler tires. Never would have thought of those
Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hello All, just a few things I learned my first year towing my 4Runner. Don't put your toad's EZ pass in your jeep, your RV Ez pass will work the number of axles will be counted. Avoid gas stations that the pump lanes face the store, you will find that most times you can't drive out. Just a couple things that will make life easier.Have fun and be safe your toad will follow you everywhere.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
I checked with E-Z pass and was told to put mr tag in both the RV and Jeep
Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hello All, I had asked the EZ Pass in Maine where I live and they were the ones that instructed me to not put the one in the toad They considered it the same as pulling a trailer. I have traveled all of New England, Upstate NY, Penn and some of Virginia and haven't had any issues with EZ Pass.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #22

The EZ Pass person probably meant well, but your TOAD is a trailer to EZ Pass. I'm pretty sure EZ Pass and the other automated tool roads look for a gap between vehicles that's much greater than a tow bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Glen View Post
I checked with E-Z pass and was told to put mr tag in both the RV and Jeep
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have E-Z pass on both vehicles, because sometimes we drive the Jeep on toll roads when it's not a toad.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I might have missed it being mentioned but..... One thing to be aware of is when passing another vehicle or object do not forget that you are about 20' longer. I use my rear view camera to help insure my towed has cleared before I pull back into the other lane after a pass.

JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing