Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
First time towing and concerened

I recently purchased a new MH and set up my Wrangler to tow. I have the full set up including a breaking system. I had a 34 ft HR for 10 years but have never towed before. What should I be concerned about?

My Wrangler is manual so I know I can flat tow. I also checked with E-Z pass and was told I can still use it as long as the RV and tow vehicle have a tag. What about gas stations or restricted roads? I live in the Northeast.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #2

Not much to it, just remember to follow the mfg's instructions for flat towing, get in the habit of double checking yourself. Remember you will have extra length and allow room to make your turns. Find somewhere where you can hook up everything and learn to adjust your supplemental brake system for optimum braking without locking up the tires. Then just go and have fun.

Safe travels
Richard

Neko & Nilla
rbracing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Glen View Post
I recently purchased a new MH and set up my Wrangler to tow. I have the full set up including a breaking system. I had a 34 ft HR for 10 years but have never towed before. What should I be concerned about?

My Wrangler is manual so I know I can flat tow. I also checked with E-Z pass and was told I can still use it as long as the RV and tow vehicle have a tag. What about gas stations or restricted roads? I live in the Northeast.
If you go to the Toads and Motorhome Related Section, you can find lots and lots of information.

Toads and Motorhome Related Towing - iRV2 Forums
Old 03-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't rush or allow yourself to be distracted when hooking up or unhooking. You might miss an important step like making sure the steering wheel is unlocked. (personal experience)

I printed out and laminated a step by step check list for both actions and always leave it alongside the console in my jeep. A quick once over the list is reassuring.

Other than that, look ahead for problems at gas stations, rest stops etc since you don't want to and can't back out with the toad.

safe travels
j
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Yankee Glen:

Hi. Say,...we've towed our Honda Element behind our motorhome since beginning our full time lifestyle back in 05. I guess that one thing important to learn about towing is that you've always got to keep in mind that ya can't back up your rig with your tow car attached. Because of this, ya learn to be more cautious about what your getting in to before you pull off a highway into, say, a shopping mall, fuel stop, restaurant, campground, etc.

This isn't a BIG issue, BUT....you DO have to pay attention. We've only been trapped once in our 6+ yrs. on the road where we had to un-hook the toad to maneuver out of a congested parking lot up at the L.L. Bean place in Freeport, Maine.

One other thing, I guess, is that I do keep a close eye on our tow vehicle with our rear view camera while we're underway. If I see any unusual tracking movements of our towed car while underway, I'll pull over and check things out. Lost a locking pin once from one arm of our tow bar and saw a funny pulling movement in the camera before any damage was done.

Steve & Lynette
Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

And DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BACK UP! The toad will jacknife very quickly and it puts stresses on the tow bar that it was not designed to handle.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #7

Only thing I'm concerned with is the statement" My Wrangler is manual so I know I can flat tow." Be sure.....not ALL manuals can be flat towed. A friend of mine found this out the hard way with a Jeep. I can't remember the year or model. Just a word of caution is all. I flat towed a Toyota and had to put trans in 4th and transfer case in neutral, trans could not be put in neutral.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I flat tow a Wrangler with my 34" Bounder. Be well into an intersection before you execute a turn, don't try to back up when the jeep is connected, and stay in the slow lane when on the freeway. After a few times towing, you'll soon get the hang of it.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My basic advice is find a big EMPTY parking lot (Shopping mall when it's closed) and play around a bit.

The only real concern is you are not supposed to back up.. I won't say you can not, but 1: Only a couple of feet and 2: Some folks have busted some stuff up doing it even just a few feet. (Mostly broken tow bars, with possible secondary damage)

As for gas stations... Look for "Easy in/out" stations, Pick your pump carefully. I have found a few stations where I can make it in and out .. Well on one of them I basically do not turn, I pull in, slide to the outside pump, gas up, pull out THEN, once on the road make a 1/2 turn to go a different direction. (If I wish to continue the direction I started I'll go around the block) there are many stations like this, You just always pick an OUTSIDE pump.. I'm more worried about roof clearance in some places.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Absolutely have a checklist to go through. I never let anyone talk to me when going through our checklist. When I'm done the DW runs through it. She can hook and unhook our toad with no problems. With proper planing you won't get into any jams. If you do just unhook. I would never try and back up even a few feet, even if I was straight. the toad will jackknife in no time. Not worth it. As it was said earlier, go to a mall when they are not busy and drive around. You'll get a feel for what the rig and toad are doing. If you want to get really hi-tech. Go there with a full super soaker water gun. Have the copilot water down the rear duals as well as the toad's tires then take a sharp turn you'll see how the tires track. Do this for left and right turns using the mall parking spaces like the corners of an intersection. After awhile you'll be fine. Go luck and many happy miles and smiles!

Dan
Old 03-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
All wranglers ( auto or manual) can be flat towed. transfer case in nuetral, hook up and go
Old 03-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Glen View Post

What year model is your Wrangler, and is it 2WD or 4WD? Some models have locking steering columns, so there are extra steps to setup.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
All wranglers ( auto or manual) can be flat towed. transfer case in nuetral, hook up and go
The exception being the few that are 2 wheel drive (seems like an abomination against nature to me).

Most anything with a two speed transfer case that has a nuetral position can be towed.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It will become second nature after a while. Just always remember it's back there and do keep an eye on it with the rear view camera. Plan your entrances and exits into filling stations and other places as well as to not work yourself into a situation where you can't maneuver. There will be times that it will happen though. A little practice and you'll be good to go. Good Luck.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing