Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Question First time w/ Toad

Hi Folks --- I need some advise on the proper etiquette on un hooking my toad. Is it done right at the campsite before I back in ? - If the campground has a parking area where you check in, is it done there ? - What do you guys do ?

HR. Atlantis w/ Honda Accord Toad
FLORIDA FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Florida Fred,
I always ask while registering. They know their property best.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
Always try to find a spot where you are not stopping traffic. If you are stuck in a single lane campground loop, work like the dickens to unhook quick! Almost all campers will cut you some slack.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too ask when I check in. A simple "Where is the best place to unhook?" can make all the difference in degree of difficulty.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix) Formerly of Bellingham,WA'05 Winnebago Journey 36G. FL-XC, Cat 350, aero muffler, AFE filter, 4 FSD Koni's, ultra track bell, SafeT+, FMCA397030, WIT 129107
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just simple good manners is the etiquette. Try to inconvenience others as little as possible. If there is a convenient flat area by the office where we won't block incoming traffic, I'll use that. Otherwise I'll probably unhook near the site, or other good spot we may see along the campground roads, maybe by a pool or rec room where there is a wide spot or parking area. Suggestions form the campground staff are always welcome.

If we have to hunt for a site rather than being assigned to one, I often prefer to unhook the toad and drive around in it rather than the coach. That's not always possible, though. Asking the office if there is a place to leave the coach while you look is always a good plan.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
I'll often unhook at the entrance while DW is registering in the office. I'm stopped anyway, so might as well. If we're just overnighting and getting a drive through, then I don't.

2008 King Aire 4562, Spartan K3(GT) w/ Cummins ISX, Motosat HD-SL5 w/ SWM-8, Multiswitch, HR34 Genie
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and baseplate, SMI Air Force One brake
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer varies from CG to CG.. Some CG's I am able to pull right into the site and then unhook, even more sites I can drop and back in but when it comes time to leave I can hook up "on site".

If the road is wide enough I will drop at the site.. If not I drop where the road IS wide enough and drive the car to the site

I've been known to pull off in the store parking, sales parking or even the storage lot to unhook, depending on the layout of the CG.

The only real rule is that you don't want to block the road in case someone else wants to get into/out of the campground or their site. Beyond that.. Most anywhere you have the room to do it and flat land (optional) is fine.

With a good towed brake system complete with break-a-way I can hook up on a hill if I have to.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
The best way is to get a pull through site.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #9
The wrong foot !!

Well, just returned from my first trip w/toad --- --- I'm not as smart as I thought ! - I went through all the Honda steps that I learned here and other sites - hooked up with no problem - Put the switch in START by mistake and 60 miles later the Brake Buddy started screaming at me that the toad battery was DEAD ! -- Luckily I was able to pull over, jump start the toad and unhook so DW could follow me the last 20 miles -- Return trip home was better cause I now know the difference between start and Accessory !! -- Live and Learn

HR. Atlantis w/ Honda Accord Toad
FLORIDA FRED is offline   Reply With Quote