Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #1

We did it purchased our first toad today an 07 Honda CR-V. Well almost they are searching down the Tea Green Color for us. Wife and I are hoping it is a short wait. Would like to get some feed back on hook ups and how others like the CR-V.
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #2

We did it purchased our first toad today an 07 Honda CR-V. Well almost they are searching down the Tea Green Color for us. Wife and I are hoping it is a short wait. Would like to get some feed back on hook ups and how others like the CR-V.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tow a 2006 CRV and am really happy with the way it tows. This is what I used to set mine up for towing.

Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar BX4325
Blue Ox CRV Base Plate Kit
Blue Ox Safety Cable Kit 5000# GVW - 6 FT Long - #8806
Blue Ox Tow Bar Cover for Aladdin, Aventa, Karbar
Pin Lock Set - One 5/8 & Two " - For Tow Bar Security

Roadmaster Even Brake

I used a Blue Ox wiring kit BX8869 so I did not have to touch the factory wiring. There is a space at the bottom of the lens that can be drilled out to accept the new bulb. It runs to the front of the CRV and a hole was drilled in the bumper cover to place a 4 wire trailer connector. I use a 7 wire to 4 wire cable to make the connection. You can view it here: http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=313

I had mine all installed professionally and it cost me about $1300 in installation costs.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #4

Roadmaster also supplies some good brackets and wiring accessories (check them out at roadmasterinc.com)...also Camping World handles their installs...

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mikeeg,
Congrats on your new toad. Can you tell us how much the car weighs?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #6

The curb weight on the 4wd is 3501#.I was told by the sales manager that Honda insists on all buyers who plan on towing as a toad call there service line to be sure on the proper method of towing and trans set up.They want to make sure everyone gets the method down in case you don't read the owners guide. Seems the trans console has a release under small cover in it where you can insert your key and unlock the trans and steering then take the key out so no key has to be in the car. The mileage will not register when towing because that operates off the electronics which will all be off.
I have been looking at the knight rider bars and surge braking system is anyone out there useing it and how well does it work,it just seems to easy !!!
Old 09-15-2007, 03:44 AM   #7

Well I guess it is on to the big world of towing a toad as we picked up our new 07 Honda CRV last evening. We will be out shopping tow systems and braking methods. We hope to head to florida in Nov. so we need to get this all worked out pretty quick. We have a lot on our plate as one daugther is getting married on Oct. 20th. and once we can relax we will try to get away. we are hoping on three weeks in Fla. with our other daugther who is total disabled and is in a wheelchair. We have only been away for short trips with her so this will be our big test on how everything will work out with one wheel chair for inside us and another for outside use. There is a lot of work travling with my daugther but hoping RVing is the way to go, we tried hoteling and it didn't work. HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 05:37 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mike,
At 3500 #s street weight consider not using surge brakes. There are many different tow bars and supplemental braking systems to choose from. They all work. The bottom line is how you interact with the tasks that must be done for each product. Consider finding local dealers for the products you are interested in. Have the product demonstrated. Then you do what was demonstrated. This will answer your questions on which products are best for you.

For me, I have a Blue OX tow bar and baseplate. USGear is the supplemental brake system.

Lastly read the "sticky" post authored by SMI at the top of this towing forum. Once you read this, consider purchasing towing components rated for 10K lbs.

In 2006 I had a friend who lost his toad because all the components worked properly, but they were not capable handling the weight an emergency situation creates.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:03 AM   #9

We also have a 2007 CRV AWD. It is equipped with a BlueOx baseplate, Roadmaster Brakemaster braking system, Blue Ox wiring kit for the towing lights. The CRV tows wonderfully!!! It does not record miles when towing. You must however leave the key in the ignition when towing. !!!READ THE OWNERS MANUAL!!! for the proper method for getting ready to tow.

My son and I installed the towbar bracket, wiring, and brake set up. It can be a DIY project but is not for the faint of heart, it is more difficult than what BlueOx instructions indicate. The only thing I would do different is regarding the towing lights. We put the auxilary lights in the lower red section of the tailight assembly. If I had it to do again I would put them in the backup light area and equip the sockets with red bulbs. There is more room in that section of the light assembly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:09 PM   #10

We are towing our 2nd CRV. First was a 2000. Great toad but underpowered and a lot of road noise. The 2003 that we have now tows great and is a great daily driver also.

We use Roadmaster and US Gear brake. I like the brake as it is permanently installed. All I do is plug in the umbillical cord and attache the brake-awayt cable. Then go thru the Honda routine before towing.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote