Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #1

Question First Tow: Blue Ox Aventa - One arm not locked after 10 miles

Friends,
I hooked up and towed for the first time with my Blue Ox Aventa and the Suburban. All went well but as I turned I noticed something that did not feel right. My first thought was that one of the arms was not locked extended as I thought it was. When I stopped I checked and noticed one lever was tight and the other was lose.

When hooking up, what is the best way to ensure that both arms lock in the fully extended position?

Thanks!

Sayonara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #2

Ok, i just read the manual again and caught the part about turning the wheel 1/2-3/4 turn toward the lose bar then pull forward again.......ill try it in the morning.

.....i thought this 4-down towing was supposed to be easier than a dolly.....

Old 05-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara View Post
Ok, i just read the manual again and caught the part about turning the wheel 1/2-3/4 turn toward the lose bar then pull forward again.......ill try it in the morning.

It all depends on the equipment you are using and how easy or complicated it is.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #4

The locking arm will only be tight when there is forward pressure on it. If both arms are extended upward they are locked in place, just don't feel like it. There is a slight amount of play when the arm is locked but the arm is tight only with froward pressure on the tow bar. (Hope this makes sense.)
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
The locking arm will only be tight when there is forward pressure on it. If both arms are extended upward they are locked in place, just don't feel like it. There is a slight amount of play when the arm is locked but the arm is tight only with froward pressure on the tow bar. (Hope this makes sense.)
Okay, I understand. Maybe I was alright and I just thought that since the one was easy to release it was not locked.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
After you hook up, as you pull out just turn you wheel to the right, then to the left, they will lock automatically.

I hook up on the level. When I am finished I just give my 2010 Jeep Sahara a push backwards and you will hear the CLICKS as they lock.

When you unhook, the lever may seem hard to push down sometimes to unhook, just give it a wack with your hand or foot.

Very good tow system. Don't forget to use your break away cables also.

PAM04
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #7

Thanks, ill give turning each way as i pull away a try. I sure do have the cables and breakaway all hooked up!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
if you towed 10 miles It should have been locked no matter.

I never had problem.. Now one thing I did do on rare occasios was use the towed brakes

For example.. One place I hook up I"m facing down hill. So I pull up, set the parking brake on the towed, hook everything up, then using the service brakes release the parking brake and gently let the car roll foreward (Yes, I know that's the wrong way) then get in the motor home, use the remote for the US-Gear (TC-6000 brake controller) to "Set" the service brakes on the towed and let the motor home gently roll forward (Manual override on the towed/trailer brakes.. the towed is, legally, a trailer) till I feel the things set, With a 4,000 pound towed, and a 26,000 motor home I actually FEEL the ams lock in place.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
paz

I don't trust moving the coach to lock the tow bar arms. There isn't always room to turn the wheel of the motorhome far enough when pulling out. We tried it a couple of times, and the toad wanted to run off to the side before I could get the other arm to lock. One time, I thought the arms were locked, and when I stopped before pulling out of the campground to wait for traffic to pass, the toad ran to one side and I thought it was going to hit a post beside the driveway.

The procedure we always use now is that DW backs the toad to lock the arms right after we hook up. That way, I can HEAR them both lock, and I can SEE them both lock.

The levers of a Blue Ox tow bar will be in a higher position when they are locked, so you should be able to tell if the arms are locked by looking at it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I do the same as Paz and let the wife back the toad. That way I, too, can see AND hear them lock into position.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
The levers of a Blue Ox tow bar will be in a higher position when they are locked, so you should be able to tell if the arms are locked by looking at it.
Had this happen today..left the campground and one arm would not lock. Stoped about a mile down the road and one lever had not come up...Locked the lever by pulling it up and all was well....D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara View Post

This method works well. simply hook up both arms, back up until one arm lever pops up and locks. Turn the wheel of the toad towards whichever arm did not lock and just pull ahead with the coach. The front of the toad will turn and lock the remaining arm. Usually DW watches to make sure the second arm locks. Works every time so far.
BTW you can't even compare the ease of 4 wheel down to dolly towing
Old 05-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used to push the towed back by hand (if possible) to lock them,, Since I used an axle lock.. As I said, I used the brakes one time when I had to.

but 10 miles of towing both arms should be locked no matter. If they are not I'd be calling Blue-OK or.. Visiting Pender, NE.. Which by the way I have done, Great company, nice littel campground (Free by the way) only bad thing was when the wind changed and we found our selves downwind of the stockyards... Wife objected to "That good old country air" (I grew up on a dairy/swine farm.. Smelled that aroma before, does not bother me nearly as much as it does city girl her)
Old 05-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Sayonara,
Like others have posted, I get everything connected and then back the toad until the arms lock.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote