Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2016, 08:35 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
First Trip Report

Thanks to all who helped me on the endeavor to getting setup for flat towing. I thought I would provide a few comments on the setup and the first tow. All in all, the setup process was stressful, the first tow was uneventful. A success in my book.

Setup
2017 Minnie Winnie 31G
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
LOD Bump
BlueOx Alpha Tow Bar with Autostop
Roadmaster Universal Wiring Kit

Comments on setup
Bumper - I wanted the combined bumper upgrade and base plate. Between LoD and Rockhard, LoD was cheaper. I installed the bumper myself, no issues.
Tow Bar/Brake System - Again, in the name of saving money, I decided on a momentum brake. Reading everything on the BlueOx and Ready Brute, pluses and minuses on both, decided in the end they are the same technology. I previously had a BlueOx hitch and was happy with it and it was cheaper. Install of the brake cable was easy but stressful as you had to drill through the firewall. Installing the brake light relay (a necessary) was a little difficult and definitely not fully discussed in the instructions. I installed the dash brake light indicator light, again not much discussed, but a needed item.

Wiring Kit - For the third time, went cheap. It probably would have been worth the $50 extra to get one of the harness setups. Install was straight forward, I ran the wire and installed the diodes. A simple setup and not hard, but took a couple of hours.

First tow
Hook up was easy. The most important thing is the Jeep is directly behind the RV. I had to drive a 1/2 block, waving to get both arms to lock. Driving down the interstate, I could feel the Jeep behind me. A lot more movement and sway than without the Jeep but not as bad as towing a travel trailer. I might check my airbags and consider a sway bar as without the Jeep the RV is a pleasant drive, with the Jeep it is a light more taxing. When stopping you could feel Jeep brakes engage, probably need to tighten the wire a little as the brake didn't engage on ever stop.

Thanks again to all and feel free to ask me questions. I am happy to make this endeavor less stressful for others.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2016, 09:36 PM   #2

You might want to research a rear trac bar for your coach configuration. I have a 27'10" long coach with a 158" wheelbase and installed a SuperSteer SS400 Trac Bar. There are many to choose from however. After I installed mine, I tow a Honda Element, there was less sway from my tow vehicle. YMMV .
Old 10-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #3

I don't think you're supposed to drive with the arms unlocked. I have the Readybrute and I'm pretty sure that's stated in the instructions. Might be worth confirming.

I hook-up, leave the parking brake on the motorhome, then reverse the Jeep (gently). 99% of the time the arms lock. Sometimes you have to turn the steering.
Only once would one arm not lock, then I drove the motorhome forward about 6ft before my wife shouted that it locked.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my understanding, I certainly wouldn't drive far, it's a lot of strain on the arms as they expand and contract.

As for brakes, I have a rearview camera that lets me see the cable and actuator arm, so I can see them working. I plan to install a LED from the Jeep brake pedal at some point so I can see when the pedal is depressed (and if it stays pressed).

I have a fair amount of slack in the cables, but it does actuate when stopping at a red light, or any other sudden'ish stops.

Steve