Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
First Trip with a TOAD

Hey all,

Taking off on our first trip after getting our 02 Toyota 4 Runner all set up to tow.

Super Flow Tech. (Remco) disconnect drive shaft
Roadmaster Tow Bar
RVi Brake System

All systems seem to be working. Should I have the wife run along side the back of the coach to make sure eveything is OK??

Seriously ...just a little nervous. Though I would ask you pros out there if there is any good tips??? This is our first MH and have gone on 4 trips and never had a TOAD. So I was on a mission to get our 4 Runner set up. Its a 4X4, confortable and reliable. And best of all its paid for, so we are excited to bring her along with us.

This will be a short trip, just to get use to it. 300 miles round trip to Indian Hills RV Resort in Teachapee, CA.

I appreciate any help and suggestions...

Larry & Vicky

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #2

I was really scared my first time mine was with first motor home an in a heavy rain storm an had to do a u turn on a four lane. But all went well good luck. An soon u won't even think about it.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I also just had my 94 Honda Accord rigged up to tow just this week. I have Blue Ox bar and Roadmaster baseplate installed. I had to use my 4" hitch drop to make the towbar level. I had a Invisbrake installed and it seems to work great. Our little Accord is amanual and is very light. Only drove it about 20 miles to storage so far, but everything worked as advertized. Now excited for the next trips this month.

Jack
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Job ,

Yes, I was concerned the first time towing. I have my DW drive ahead while I check the lights, brakes, and all the wheels turn.

I did make a list

We use the cell phones to talk.

Good luck and enjoy
Old 05-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Establish a routine, a pattern, for your set up of the toad and stick to it; this helps avoid overlooking something. Before pulling into tight spaces, filling stations for instance, be sure that you can see the way out since you cannot back up.

Other wise towing is pretty straight forward she will follow right along.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:20 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now my wife ALWAYS goes back and makes sure all the tires are rolling before we leave camp.
You can pull a toad while the parking brake is on and the tires are rolling. I know.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I will chime back in when we get to Indian Hills Ranch RV Park and let you know how it went.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #8

i was very nervous towing the 1st time. I am the nagging passenger (DW), and i kept looking through my mirror and couldnt see it, i would have to wait until we turned right, then i would take a big breath and let hubby know it was still there!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
i was very nervous towing the 1st time. I am the nagging passenger (DW), and i kept looking through my mirror and couldnt see it, i would have to wait until we turned right, then i would take a big breath and let hubby know it was still there!
Thank you. Thats funny..I had my rear back up camera on the WHOLE trip. But whenever I made a turn, I would look in my side mirrors and at first thought someone was tailgating me. I had to laugh at myself. Then I noticed my wife leening over to look in the monitor when we were driving at night....just to make sure it was still there.

I have been on the site for a few months but never had the nerve to ask. What does DW stand for? Designated Wife??

The first trip went OK. We had a few hick ups disconnecting, but got it figured out. Love truck stops for gassing up....while towing.

Larry & Vicky
Old 06-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
For me it's dear wife. I think for some others the D my stand for something else.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #11

sorry xjaywalker, i didnt see you reply..my phone is not all that nifty getting around this site..DW for me is dearest wife..lol. I hope your trip went well. You did go already right? we have towed our vehicle a few times now, and i suppose i still think about it back there, maybe time will ease that?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon35 View Post
For me it's dear wife. I think for some others the D my stand for something else.
For me it's Don's Wife!!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
sorry xjaywalker, i didnt see you reply..my phone is not all that nifty getting around this site..DW for me is dearest wife..lol. I hope your trip went well. You did go already right? we have towed our vehicle a few times now, and i suppose i still think about it back there, maybe time will ease that?
DW is very appropriate. The trip went well. I few little things to remember and add to the hook up and unhook up list. Because we have the REMCO disconnect drive, you have make sure you have the emergency brake on when you disconnect the tow bar. Especially if you are on a hill.

Other then that it was pretty easy. A little strange at times. Whenever I would make a turn and look in my mirror, my first thought was that someone was tailgating us.

We are all set and can't wait until the next trip towing our 4Runner. Thx all for your comments. Oh and the DW wants to drive on the next trip.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #14

You may want to consider a TPMS system in your future purchases. Have seen a toad being drug down the interstate on the rim after a tire blew and shredded. If you have a DP you won't even realize the problem. Just another device for peace of mind!

dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad