Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #1

Fish tailing trailer or 4 down?

I have a 24 foot enclosed trailer I pull behing my mh with our pulling truck in it.. And sometimes my wife's 4 tuner..It has a tendency to fish tail with the slightest breeze.. I have never towed anything 4 down but was wondering if I bought a jeep and towed 4 down would it fishtail any? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 08:39 PM   #2

With the right setup you will love it.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:46 PM   #3

Trailer swaying sounds like weight distribution may not be correct. If the trailer has too much tongue weight on it then the hitch weight on the MH may also be in excess. In addition to the drive axle on the MH may also be overweight. All this could cause the steer axle to be unloaded, and that would make the handling of the MH very loose. Check these first. JMO.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
No, 4 down is the way I choose but others have had good luck with a tow dolly and its probably cheaper.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
As DreamBelieve said above it's more than likely a tongue weight issue. There are plenty of trailers being pulled by Diplomats without issues. The proper hitch setup, & properly loading & balancing the trailer contents is the key. You didn't mention the total weight of the trailer/contents/rig so specific recommendations can't be made.

A Jeep should not sway being flat towed unless the swaying issues originate in the MH. Good luck
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #6

Weight distribution is the key ... and be certain the trailer is level when towing ... nose up to much will cause this condition ... not to mention tire wear ....

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Weigh the trailer loaded like normal. 10% of that weight should be on the hitch
Old 07-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #8

I think the pulling truck is 6500-7000 pounds.. when I first loaded it and took off I had the truck centered over the 2 trailer axles.. the rear end is extremely heavy.. it came out of a john deere log skidder.. with the truck centered over the axles I could not get over 45 with out it changing lanes by its self.. I pulled over on a off ramp and pulled the truck as far to the front as possible.. the bumper was actually touching the front wall.. this helped 100%.. but it still wasnt what i call comfortable.. when a semi would come by it would want to go off the road.. a slight breeze it wanted to go off the road.. I can run about 60-62 pretty good but anything any faster and its all over the place... the trailer is not set up for sway bars but I was wondering about them..would they help? thanks!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:56 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
You probably will forget about a jeep being behind you since they tow so well. But you probably still have a weight distribution problem in the trailer. Sway bars may help, but can't correct the issue if the weight balance is wrong.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:05 PM   #10

I pull a 27' trailer with my Wrangler and Honda Trike. Total 10k. I have found that the RV handles better than before. I also tow my Jeep 4 down when not using the trailer. Can't tell the Jeep's there.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcloud View Post
I think the pulling truck is 6500-7000 pounds.. when I first loaded it and took off I had the truck centered over the 2 trailer axles.. the rear end is extremely heavy.. it came out of a john deere log skidder.... the trailer is not set up for sway bars but I was wondering about them..would they help? thanks!
With the majority of the weight on the rear of the pulling truck you might try backing it into the trailer to adjust the tongue weight. Won't cost you a cent to try it. The sway bars may help but getting the tongue weight correct is the first step.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:08 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree with trying to back the truck in, but a sway bar is only going to help with the sway, a weight distributing hitch will help with distributing the load. I would also agree with weighing your trailer loaded and the tongue weight. You can buy a trailer tongue scale and check the weight you have on the tongue as you experiment on the vehicle positioning in the trailer.

Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - 2,000-lb Capacity Sherline Tools 5780

I gross about 9,500 lbs and don't have any issues with sway, but I use weight distribution bars and sway control.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:56 PM   #13

Tail wagging the dog is usually a weight distribution issue in the trailer. Like others said, 10% minimum weight on tongue. Also trailer level or nose down slightly helps. Sway bars will help, but can't correct a weight distribution issue.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:12 PM   #14

That pulling truck would make one hell of a toad! Post a pic of it