Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
You're welcome. I too like the FJ over a Jeep as found the FJ (for me) to be significantly smoother riding (is my daily driver) and more roomy inside.

Be sure to get AND KEEP IN YOUR SUN VISOR POCKET WRITTEN STEP BY STEP Instructions for the driveshaft engagement and disengagement. Think of it as an aircraft pilot's pre-flight check off list AND ENJOY
Good advice...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
Yes - 2H, transmission in park. Key not full turned off to keep steering wheel free with no battery drain...
On our 07 2wd FJ the key can be turned all the way off. As long as you don't pull the key out the steering wheel remains unlocked.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post
On our 07 2wd FJ the key can be turned all the way off. As long as you don't pull the key out the steering wheel remains unlocked.
Do you tow your FJ? I'm afraid the key will pop out and my steering would lock up without me knowing...I am adding a switch to the 7.5 amp fuse that controls the accessories so that I can turn the key one click and avoid a possible malfunction.

In two weeks I'll have a tow-able FJ Cruiser, or I'll have many thousands in transfer case/transmission problems caused by towing.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
Do you tow your FJ? I'm afraid the key will pop out and my steering would lock up without me knowing...

Has your key ever poped out of the ignition while driving?? It won't happen while being towed either. I've towed my x/B 4down over 20,000 miles with the valet key in the off position in the ignition without a single problem. The x/B uses the same ignition switch as the FJ.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Has your key ever poped out of the ignition while driving?? It won't happen while being towed either. I've towed my x/B 4down over 20,000 miles with the valet key in the off position in the ignition without a single problem. The x/B uses the same ignition switch as the FJ.
It's all new to me...How would I know until someone with experience, like yourself, chimes in with their knowledge. I belong to the "If it can go wrong it will, at the least opportune time" school. I'd rather learn from your experience than my mistakes...
Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
lllkrob.. The XB has intrigued us for years. How did you set up yours ? if an automatic
did you add the trans lube pump ? If a standard do you tow as is ?
Old 02-17-2013, 03:01 AM   #35

Quote:
Do you tow your FJ?
see post#2
Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post
see post#2
Mine is the 4x4 model and I am trying to find out from someone who has a 4x4 FJ what configuration it is being towed, i.e., transfer case in H2 and transmission in Park.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
lllkrob.. The XB has intrigued us for years. How did you set up yours ? if an automatic
did you add the trans lube pump ? If a standard do you tow as is ?

Apology to the OP for jumping his thread, My 2011 x/B is a manual transmission, towed as is no modification in neutral, insert key in ignition turn on then off leave key in and steering stays unlocked.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #38
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Please use PM's for off topic discussions.
Thanks
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I have a 2008 FJ Cruiser too, and I would love to tow it. How are you towing yours? What procedure do you use to tow...transmission in Park, transfer case in neutral?
I do not have my FJ setup for towing at this time. I am watching this thread and asking questions for doing it in the future. Sorry if I misled you.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
I do not have my FJ setup for towing at this time. I am watching this thread and asking questions for doing it in the future. Sorry if I misled you.
We'll know more next week, as I am getting my FJ set-up complete from nuts to soup. By the end of next week I'll have a really neat towed vehicle or a pretty nice boat anchor...I just hope that I'm not throwing good money after bad.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #41

Pics of our FJ

Old 02-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #42

I have a 2011 Toyota 4Runner 4 x 4 equipped with a Remco Drive Shaft Coupling (DSC) that was installed in the spring of 2011. Since then I have put some 19,000 miles on it with close to 50% being towed behind the motorhome. I have never had any problems with the 4Runner or the DSC. The 4Runner tracks very well behind the motorhome , the tires don't show abnormal wear and solo is a perfect ride. The DSC has been installed on a custom built drive shaft. I tow the 4Runner with the Transfer Case in 2H, transmission in Park and steering unlocked.

If you need additional info, don't hesitate to contact me.

Gaetan

Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad