Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #1

Flat or dolly tow 2010 ford escape hybrid AWD

I read quite a few bad tales of towing the ford escape, so thinking of dolly but would like groups thoughts. I have a 2010 escape hybrid 4 wheel drive, front wheels are primary drivers,

thanks for your advice.
MichaelnBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #2

SInce the towable vehicle guide for 2010 lists your car as being able to be towed 4 wheels down with the only restriction that you don't exceed 75 MPH I'd suggest you tow the vehicle and not have to deal with a dolly. This will require an auxillery brake system, wiring up the car for tail and brake lights, a base plate, tow bar and obviously an electrical connection between the trailer plug on your coach and the car plus safety cables or chains.

In the long run, it's much easier to deal with that a trailer. Sometimes finding a place to stow the trailer at an RV park can be demanding.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Normally AWD cannot be towed on dolly
Check ford's website .
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #4

Just for reference, here's the page that says your car can be towed 4 wheels down.

http://webcontent.goodsam.com/DinghyGuide2010.pdf

In regard to the statement in the above post, that's true in many instances so as mentioned, check your owners manual if you're serious about a dolly.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #5

I have a 2010 escape. Have towed for about 18k miles all 4 down. Which I prefer. I stop about every 3 to 3 and half hours start the engine for about 5 to 8 minutes to lube the trans. Today at about 3 plus hours in I noticed smoke behind the coach. Pulled over . It was the trans in the Escape. Hot. Started the car got fluid circulating and cooled down. I believe I caught it at the very beginning. Called the ford dealership to find a local dealership where we were going . Left the engine run in neutral til we arrived. All functions worked. Have not heard what the outcome is as of yet. Worst case scenario is a new trans and a trans pump for towing. we bought the car new specifically to tow. They sold us pretty hard to that fact. Now that it is out of warranty we will see. Bottom line if you want to tow you escape it is going to be on a full trailer or set it up right to tow all 4 down. Good luck.

Poppa J
Poppa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #6

Thank you
MichaelnBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #7

Off hand I don't know about the hybrid but the regular 2WD Escape was listed as towable 4 down in 2008. Ford later rescinded that. As I recall the 2012 is not listed as towable 4 down with no changes in the engine or drive train. My point is that you might want to check a later model year that does not have a redesign.

FWIW we had a 2008 that was totaled in 2014. Replaced with a 2012 because the 2013 new design is junk in our opinion. That was why I checked out a lot of information on both models. All the makers tend to run models for a few years before making changes other than cosmetic sheet metal. Looking ahead sometimes turns up interesting information.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #8

I have read many stories lately, it sounds like towing 4 down and having to stop every three hours or so to run the engine to get trans fluid cir. is way too much work.

I also see people who do this are still having issues with their transmission.
I have decided based on weight savings and easy to use I am ready to purchase an all aluminum trailer with 7 foot long ramps that store inside slide out pockets. I have a lot of time using my tow dolly and I have not stayed at any camp grounds where I would have had a problem parking a trailer. Plus when I am not towing my car, I can use it for our Golf Cart or Kayak's, I will post once I have it and start using it
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:09 PM   #9

Hybrid escape uses a CVT trans which you can flat tow.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
I have read many stories lately, it sounds like towing 4 down and having to stop every three hours or so to run the engine to get trans fluid cir. is way too much work.

I also see people who do this are still having issues with their transmission.
I have decided based on weight savings and easy to use I am ready to purchase an all aluminum trailer with 7 foot long ramps that store inside slide out pockets. I have a lot of time using my tow dolly and I have not stayed at any camp grounds where I would have had a problem parking a trailer. Plus when I am not towing my car, I can use it for our Golf Cart or Kayak's, I will post once I have it and start using it
I think a lot of it is the speed involved. I don't run over 65 moh very often. Less often when towing. That seems to be where tires and OK setups are targeted. There is a cadre of folks who want to run 8 over the posted limit no matter how fast that is. They seem to be the one's with more problems.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, dolly