Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #1

Flat tow help

I just purchased a C Class 31ft Jayco, but have absolutely no idea which vehicle I should purchase to tow. Our current vehicles are not suitable, and I really want to tow a small vehicle. I want to flat tow, and I don't want to buy a new vehicle. I have researched and found that I need to find a car that is manual transmission... but finding a list of cars that are suitable to buy for towing just doesn't exist...can you all help me? Greatly Appreciated.
UncleTimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #2

Hands down Saturns are the best tow
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tow a 2012 Smart Car. It has a manual transmission and an automatic clutch. Only 2 pedals and it does the shifting. It only weighs 1840 pounds.

If don't need a ton of room, I highly recommend one. AND, they are fun to drive.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #4

FMCA publishes a 4 down towing guide every year. Try here Dinghy Towing | Family Motor Coach Association
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We tow a Jeep Wrangler 4 down. Light weight(about 3200 lbs.), easy to tow and a lot of fun when you get to your destination.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2RVn View Post
We tow a Jeep Wrangler 4 down. Light weight(about 3200 lbs.), easy to tow and a lot of fun when you get to your destination.
x2

Jeep Jeep
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Honda Fit either stick or automatic would be good. Around 2,500#'s as I remember.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
X3 Jeep, 2005 Wrangler TJ Rocky Mountain Edition, 6 cyl, auto trans. Easy to tow, fun to drive!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Go remcotowing.com...type in the type of vehicle u want 2 tow & the info pops up!!!!
logansrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Store : Remco

Remco knows their stuff.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lots of vehicles tow flat with automatic transmission. Honda CR-V is one and a great tow vehicle. We like ours.

The Jeep Wrangler is probably the easiest to rig for towing but a lot depends on if you have other needs for the vehicle, hauling stuff? Have kids? Have pets? It may not be the most practical but it has an almost cult following for a reason.

MAke sure you consult the owners manual for towing instructions on any thing you buy. Do not just take someones word for the proceedure.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Replied to one of these in another thread it seems.

There are a few considerations, These mean the answer may be different for you, me and the others who respond.

First I like JEEP, and JEEPS for the most part have manual transfer cases which means they need little additional work to make them into a trailer (Towed cars are trailers) Add aux brakes, base plate, tow lights and in some cases remove a fuse or add a switch to the fuse.

Now, there is more.. Your hitch has a maximum rating, likely 5,000 for a gasser or 10K for a Diesel, and the motor home has both a Gross vehicle weight and a MCGVW The Gross weight is the weight of the Motor home loaded for travel with a full fuel and fresh water tank.

The maximum tow capacity is the lesser of the hitch rating or (MCGVW-GCVW) so if you have a max combined weight of 26,000 and an actual weight of 22,000 and a 5,000 hitch, you can tow 4,000 (my figures) provided you do not need a drop hitch or extension hitch (Those reduce hitch capacity big time)

So pick a ride that is less than the max

Now the other consideration is bumper height. Some jeeps will tow behind my Damon Intruder with no drop hitch, others need a drop hitch since they are more "Car like" with a lower bumper.

On a friend's DP, that is reversed, The ones I need a drop hitch for he can tow straight, The one I want he needs a RISER on this hitch.

So the other consideratin is try to get one where th bottom of the bumper is within a few inches of the receiver height on the motor home, again WHEN LOADED for the trip.

Now, that said, You don't have to tow a jeep, IN my case due to the high receiver hitch, My choices for towing without a dorp adapter are limited.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #13

WOW--I've been looking for a site like this for a year! Thanks again for the help.
UncleTimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We towed a Jeep for a while. Wanted more room. found several people towing Honda Elements (last year 2011). honda owners manual says they are NOT towable. We've towed our over 45,000 miles. it is lite 26-2800 lbs. Was told by Honda tech that the Element has the same transmission as the CR-V. We are currentley looking at a newer Honda CR-V cause we have 145,000 miles on the element. good luck...ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote