Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
Flat Tow or Dolly

I just purchased a Winnebago Journey with the 400hp Cummins and can pull a good load. I haven't had a dingy before and am getting conflicting recommendations about either flat towing or pulling a dolly. I'm guessing it comes down to pesonal preference, but was wondering if anyone could provide me with some compeling advice - I believe my preference is to flat tow a 2016 Jeep Cherokee, but am unsure...
I'd really appreciate hearing from someone on this...
Thanks and Happy Trails!!!!

smpdap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Flat towing is for me. Don't want to mess with loading and securing into a dolly, moving the dolly around the campsite or other, maintenance on a dolly, etc. Four down is quick and relatively easy to connect/disconnect. If we stop somewhere and want to take the toad to go shopping or site seeing, easy to do. IMHO.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome .X2 on flat tow.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
iRV2 No Limits Club
Done it both ways with the same vehicle ('05 Honda Odyssey) behind the same vehicle ('02 Dutch Star DP). From a standpoint of which is better for the towed, then a dolly would be preferable. From a standpoint of ease then found down kind of wins IF your towed is towable four down.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Personally I would never use a dolly. I would get a vehicle that can be towed 4-down. JMHO

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
If your vehicle is 4-down towable, that is the preferred method. Tow dollies are designed to tow mainly FWD vehicles that are not 4-down towable.

If towable, you will need a tow bar, base plate, electrical hookups, and auxiliary brakes for the toad. Depending upon make/model of the equipment listed, they can run upwards to around $3000. If you are NOT the type to do your own work, having it done, you can probably add another $1000 for labor. Not cheap.'

Dollies can run any where from $1500 to $3000....again depending upon make/model. There are drawbacks to a dolly that typically will sway a decision to the 4-down towing, but many people use them. Their advantage is that you can put any FWD vehicle on them, so normally no need to purchase another vehicle just so you can tow them 4-down.

I personally, will have nothing but a 4-down vehicle; but that is just me. You need to weigh the good/bad and see which is best for you.

Good luck

Ron, Sandie, and Maggie May
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH
2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2
lanerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:03 PM   #7
might want to re-think the 2016 Cherokee. Just look for thread here about Cherokee problems concerning steering. Dave
Tiffin 32CA 2012
2007 Jeep Liberty
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

We tow a Prius (FWD) with a dolly. When we change vehicle we will get a four down due to reasons posted above. It works fine, but don't want to deal with this when we get older.

Best of luck,
Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #9
Lots of threads here about "Flat tow or Dolly". Each has their advantage. In your case, Flat Tow may be the best, but do a search to read several opinions.
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #10
Flat tow all the way. We full time and have to many things already. Flat is Easter to hook and unhook which is nice. Does cost more but look around if you have the time and you may be able to find good used cars with base plate or tow bars. It costs more but if you know the car will be with you for a while it is worth the expense. Jmho.

Take care
Bob & Jenise Full timers
2008 Newmar Essex 4510 All Electric 500 ISM
2014 Honda CRV AWD
Trapperbob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #11
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we put the vehicle on a hauler flat trailer.
time wise hooking up and unhooking about the same as flat tow
no road rash on the vehicle, we can back up,
some parks we have to park the trailer in a separate area, but not very often

we tend to use different vehicles about every three years, so it makes sense dollar wise for us.

best answer is to weigh all the pros and cons and see what works best for you. a note: all of our vehicles are factory ready to tow four down in the event we need to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leaving for san antonio (1).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	137421  
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
We went with the dolly angle. Didn't want to modify the Edge to flat tow. Also didn't want to stop every so often to run the engine to cool and lube the transmission. But that's what you do with a Ford Edge. Other vehicles are different but most have some quirk that needs to be taken care of. Here's a link to Edmund's website.

What Cars Can Be Flat-Towed Behind an RV? on Edmunds.com

I think there is a vehicle guide there for RV towing. They have as good information as I've seen about towing behind an RV.
Steve n' Tammy with Ella Mae the "Shippet" in a 2003 Fleetwood Bounder 32' on a Ford F53 Chassis and a V-10 gasser pulling a 2013 Ford Edge on a EZE Tow Dolly
c92vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go for it, I've towed my Trailhawk across country without any issues and I drive a gasser.
Whatever you do make sure that you get one with the Active Drive II or it is NOT flat Towable.
Retired Navy Submariner
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F; 5 Star tuned; 2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
SuperGewl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:45 AM   #14
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my way of thinking towing four down is the only way to go. My Jeep Wrangler Sport (TJ) is perfect for the job. When we arrive at our destination the little Jeep becomes our way to adventure. Easy to set up, easy to disconnect and not as expensive as one might think depending on your supplier. I deal directly with Roadmaster in Vancouver WA and use their Falcon 2. Their customer service and tech support is excellent. JMHO

'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote

dolly, tow