Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #15

One quick question. How long are you when hooker to trailer? I have 45' coach and want to use trailer have been towing 4 down because of length. But see 45' pulling 3 axel stackers and 25' plus trailers. I want 18' enclosed with V nose then I want to shorten hitch but best guess will be 66/67 feet over all. Now comes problem, have just retired and want to do some extensive travel, don't want buy and find out need to cut 2 feet off or leave trailer on side of road. Kerman

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
You state that you had no problems towing 4 down, so I'm curious why you are now considering a trailer?
Me too!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have a '05 Honda Odyssey, Honda paid us $2,200 for the tow bar, brackets, brakes etc we bought. They decided it wasn't towable four down and we had it in writing on Honda letterhead that it was towable. Bought a '97 Jeep GC to tow. No problems with it, had the full time 4WD.
Have sold the Jeep and been towing the Ody on a KK-460 dolly. I've seen several '05 and newer Ody's being towed four down and talked to the owners. All have said no problems. So I've kind of gone back to towing four down. Four on the ground is definately harder on the towed though! Especially if you forget to release the parking brake and burn up the brake shoes! The parking brake are small drums inside the rear disks. So far I've towed it maybe 4,000 miles and the only problem besides knocking the alignment out and needing new tires has been the battery going dead. Hooked up a charge line so that's no longer a problem.
The easiest to tow was the Jeep though as the Ody has to be started and run through the gears in the same way a CR-V does. Do it wrong and the trans is toast!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #18

Pulling a trailer 18' long total length 65' Never had a problem at any camp site. ML550 arrives clean, or a tricked out Rubicon no ware and tare. Nice to tow what I want for the area we are going.
Takes me 15 minutes to tie down using Macs custom tie down straps.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsilvester View Post
I have flat towed my jeep wrangler for the past 3 years with no problems

And now that we just upgraded our coach to a Newmar diesel pusher I am thinking about buying a trailer .
Just don't no if it will be a pain at campgrounds parking the trailer .
Looking for feedback on the pros and cons on towing a trailer !
Thanks
I tow the race car on a trailer (for obvious reasons) the pros, you can back it up, no wear and tear on the drive line, cons, extra 1500#s and I can see it being a problem at some campgrounds. Every place I have been to so far has had a lot where you can dump the trailer.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsilvester View Post
I have flat towed my jeep wrangler for the past 3 years with no problems

And now that we just upgraded our coach to a Newmar diesel pusher I am thinking about buying a trailer .
Just don't no if it will be a pain at campgrounds parking the trailer .
Looking for feedback on the pros and cons on towing a trailer !
Thanks
We do both and I think most have already touched on most of the pros and cons. Personally, I prefer to tow our 26' Haulmark Edge behind our coach and haul both the Harley and the Jeep but there are times when flat-towing is much more convenient. If we are going on a destination trip for an extended weekend or a week we definitely tow the trailer with the bike and Jeep. If we are doing a lot of hop, skipping and jumping around to various campgrounds then flat-towing is way easier and more convenient.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
I have an enclosed trailer and a Featherlite open trailer. What would be recommended for a trip to Florida from Wisconsin? Will have either my 85 Eldorado Convertible or a Chev SSR retro pickup on the traler. Would the enclosed trailer pull that much harder and cost that much more in fuel than the open Featherite? The coach is a Fleetwood 40E with 350hp Cat C7.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
I have an enclosed trailer and a Featherlite open trailer. What would be recommended for a trip to Florida from Wisconsin? Will have either my 85 Eldorado Convertible or a Chev SSR retro pickup on the traler. Would the enclosed trailer pull that much harder and cost that much more in fuel than the open Featherite? The coach is a Fleetwood 40E with 350hp Cat C7.
I don't think there would be much difference in fuel economy. When we go from towing our 12k pound enclosed trailer to flat towing our 5500 pound Jeep the fuel mileage is very minimal.

Weight is a big factor but the frontal area of the large Class A coaches is hard to push through the air, approx. 90 sq/ft. Speed is a huge factor. Pushing a 40k pound coach requires X-amount of HP. For speeds over that the HP requirements go up exponentially. The HP requirement @ 65 MPH is almost 50% more than @ just 55 MPH. At about 73 MPH it requires twice the HP to push a 40k pound coach down the road as it does @ 55 MPH.

Personally I would tow the enclosed trailer as there will be little difference between that and the open behind the coach.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
My mileage actually increased about .3 mpg from flat towing a GMC Denali XL to towing enclosed trailer with vehicle inside, I assume due to aerodymamics with the enclosed trailer taller front end and creating less drag than the air coming over the top of the trailer and hitting the windshield of the Denali, but I am just guessing.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I personally would NEVER use a trailer or tow dolly. My neighbor across the street bought a tow dolly and took a trip to Michigan. He sold the tow dolly AND the pickup he was pulling while he was up there and bought a Jeep Cherokee and towbars! VERY expensive lesson!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #25

After 50,000 miles towing 4 down without any problems, and watching people with trailers and dollies working there way threw all the issues involved with that extra equipment I'll keep my tow bar thank you. It only takes 2 to 3 minutes to hook up or unhook
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No way I want to deal with the handling and stowing of a trailer or tow dolly. Four down for me.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #27

Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
No way I want to deal with the handling and stowing of a trailer or tow dolly. Four down for me.
Just read your towing response. I just purchased a Thor Ace 27.1 and have a 97 jeep Sahara. Brand new rivers, looks like you a lot of towing experience. What will I need to tow my jeep... What products have worked best for you. Can I purchase a tow bar from a jeep parts place i.e tow bars , lighting kit or go have the rv dealer hook things up. Brake system? Sure can use some advice.

Thanks
Vince from Idaho
Old 01-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy2 View Post
After 50,000 miles towing 4 down without any problems, and watching people with trailers and dollies working there way threw all the issues involved with that extra equipment I'll keep my tow bar thank you. It only takes 2 to 3 minutes to hook up or unhook
After towing the same towed with the same MH both on a dolly on four down I can honestly say: it's about the same. On a dolly shows less wear on the front drive components and brakes. Four down shows more chips and higher wear on the drive and brakes (yes, we have a braking system). As to hook up, if I remove the visible brackets and have to put them back then the hookup time is about the same as moving the dolly into position, driving it onto the dolly and tying it down. Only once have I had to park the dolly away from the rig and that was at an FMCA rally.
And with our Odyssey we have to follow the speed limits and run running instructions for the CR-V, plus run a charge line to the towed when four down.
The dolly tracks the MH around tight corners better than four down.
Each has it's plus's and minuses. In our case we bought the Odyssey after checking with Honda and getting it in writing on Honda letterhead that it was towable four down. Then they changed their mind and paid us $2,200.