Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2013, 03:51 AM   #1

Flat tow or trailer

I have flat towed my jeep wrangler for the past 3 years with no problems

And now that we just upgraded our coach to a Newmar diesel pusher I am thinking about buying a trailer .
Just don't no if it will be a pain at campgrounds parking the trailer .
Looking for feedback on the pros and cons on towing a trailer !
Thanks
Vsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I think it would make things more complicated and difficult.

I too always towed 4 down with no problems.

You state that you had no problems towing 4 down, so I'm curious why you are now considering a trailer?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #3

I am sick of my break buddy it works but not all that good I think after the first few stops the vacum assist is used up and it seems to not be as affective
When I tow my 96 jeep Cherokee it was not affective after the first few. Stops I used to start it every few hrs to build up vacuum .

I am thinking if I don't go with a trailer I will install a Air Force one system it seems like they work good and they also keep the vacuum boost charged. !

Also I have a jeep rubicon with aggressive tires and the trailer will save the tries.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsilvester View Post
I am sick of my break buddy it works but not all that good I think after the first few stops the vacum assist is used up and it seems to not be as affective
When I tow my 96 jeep Cherokee it was not affective after the first few. Stops I used to start it every few hrs to build up vacuum .

I am thinking if I don't go with a trailer I will install a Air Force one system it seems like they work good and they also keep the vacuum boost charged. !

Also I have a jeep rubicon with aggressive tires and the trailer will save the tries.
If I understand correct then you are doing things wrong. The BB is designed to work without any vacuum. It needs to bleed all the air out,
That is why during startup you have to press the button and let it pump the breaks.

What model do you have? Classic or vantage Select?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #5

I'm planning on using a trailer. I want to be able to back up if needed. And I have more than one vehicle that I will be bringing with me depending on the event I am going to.
I actually hope to get a stacker in the future.
I'll use the "Big Rigs" book to help find parks that are large RV friendly. I have plenty of experience with trailers and they pose no issues for me.

STUFF IN THE GARAGE: F150, ChevyII Pro Street, Roush Mustang
Jus Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post

If I understand correct then you are doing things wrong. The BB is designed to work without any vacuum. It needs to bleed all the air out,
That is why during startup you have to press the button and let it pump the breaks.

What model do you have? Classic or vantage Select?
I had the classic and sold it last winter
The new coach we just bought came with the newer style that is red I haven't used it yet .
But according to what you said I have been hooking it up wrong .!
So I should pump the breaks with the button and get all the vacuum out before I start ?
Looks like I should have read the instruction better ! I even made it worse by starting it every few hrs. WoW
Ill try it on the next trip Thanks .
Old 09-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The Brake Buddy definitely is designed to work with NO vacuum assist.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
M&G works. No tricks or gimmicks. Just plug in airline and go.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think the OP was asking about the pros & cons of 4-down vs trailer. I'm interested in that feedback too. As we get closer to actually being FULL-FULL TIME (retired and on the road) I am curious about this from a point on providing extra storage and perhaps adding a bit of protection to our CRV. It isn't a high priority yet but I see a lot more trailers on big rigs than I expected.

With the use of hydro-hot kind of systems and tag axles on 40' models now, basement space is getting a bit crunched.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have used a tow dolly, 4 down, and trailer method. I love flexibility of 4 down and trailer (enclosed).

4 down drawbacks to me where you could only set up 1 vehicle and limited to the vehicle that you could tow 4 down. In addition, I still work so limited time to get from point a to b, so sometimes I have to run in wet or sloppy roads (I live in Midwest). I hated how dirty my vehicle would get and sometimes had to wash it to be able to safely drive it from the grim on the windows. Another drawback is vandals overnight, I have had bicycle rack pin pulled in GA after an overnight in a Wal Mart and chrome wheel cover stolen in OK. I also didn't like the pitting from sand/gravel or other road debris on the front end of my vehicle, even when I used various methods for protecting the front end.

4 wheels down you can NOT back up, I tried once and damaged my Roadmaster tow bar unfortunately in the middle of TX.

Enclosed trailer I love because my vehicle is safe, clean and secure. The flexibility to take any vehicle, or combination of vehicles. I can haul my Harley and vehicle in the enclosed trailer or a golf cart and vehicle. You can back up a trailer if needed.

I usually do NOT have to unhook the trailer, I have never had to pay extra yet to store my trailer when I have had to unhook, and I haven't found a place I couldn't stay. I know a couple of places I typically stayed when I still had the option of 4 down I would tow 4 down, I don't have the option currently to tow 4 down, so I don't know if the campground would accommodate my trailer (St Louis RV Park) for free or not? If not, I wouldn't have an issue to pay the extra storage for the trailer.

I also like the trailer when I am loading or unloading, I am not in the rain. I like the extra storage area I have in the trailer, I like the much less wear and tear on my vehicle going down the road ( I have torsion axles and the trailer rides unbelievably smooth).

I do NOT like the trailer when I need to go get service work done, then the trailer is a hassle compared to the 4 down method.

There are many advantages and disadvantages, I thought the trailer would be a royal pain in the neck originally, but I find I can hook up the trailer by myself, load and secure the vehicle by myself, almost as quickly (about 5 minutes longer) as I could hook the 4 wheel down method with attaching tow brackets ect. I don't get as dirty sometimes either with the trailer, as my straps aren't exposed to the elements like the air hose, power plug, tow brackets, and tow bar.

I have really enjoyed my trailer, miss my 4 down method a few times a year which I hope someday to have that option again, but since I had to choose 1 method currently, I think the enclosed trailer was the best choice for me.

I encourage you to think how you would use the trailer, don't skimp on height (especially the door opening as I did on the first trailer), get good axles (Dexter's), LED Lights, heavy duty brakes on the trailer, beef up the rear ramp door if you will be potentially putting a large vehicle (I take a Escalade ESV sometimes), and extend the front tongue so you don't get into the trailer with your coach.

I have trailered for 2 years and about 17,000 miles so far, I put very good tires on the trailer with a spare in the floor of the trailer (don't like where it is located as I would have to back up the car to get spare out on the Escalade, but not my smaller vehicles) with no real issues.

One last recommendation, buy a tongue scale and check tongue weight, maybe I spent $100 on my tongue scale, but I know I am loaded correctly based on which vehicle I have in the trailer. I also use weight distributing bars and sway control, may be overkill, but the difference in money was significant.

Good Luck with whatever method serves your needs.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are advantages to a trailer.. I mean you arrive at the CG with a clean car, and you have a garage to park it in.. BUT... As you noted you have a trailer to "Stow" when you park the RV too, that can be a pain in some CG's. they charge 2.00/day for the trailer where I'm at. You can also use "left over" trailer for storage and/or work space.

Truthfully.. We can not advise you,, Both methods are good.. But it's up to you.. YOU need to decide if it's worth the hassle.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have used both, 4 down and open trailer. The trailer has never been a problem at RV parks if you plan ahead for a site that is long enough for you. I would much rather tow the trailer for the ability to back up and turn sharper. I have room to store the trailer at home and I can take any of my other vehicles. 4-down is handy when I know the trailer will be a problem which is rare. But the trailer does add weight you have to haul around.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally I would continue to flat tow. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
We use a tailer, have zero problems or issues with anything, trailer is only way to go.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote