Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Flat Tow Saturn Vue, What to expect

I currently have a 2003 33' Thor Infinity Class A with a Ford V10. I recently installed a 5 Star Tune, 87 octane / Tow program on it and it is running great. Last year, our first with this unit we did not tow anything. I am setting up my Saturn to tow behind and am wondering what I should expect my mileage to drop to. Last year I was averaging between 7 and 7 1/2 mpg on 1 to 3 hour drives. I know there are many variables, but I am looking for a ballpark figure. Thanks for any inputs you have on my towing this vehicle.

jrizz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
You will drop about 1 mpg while towing. I have the newer V-10 and averaged 8.5 - 9 mpg not towing @ 55-62 mph. Our first trip towing the Jeep is around the corner (hoping for 7.5 -8 mpg)

2016 Thor Tuscany 34ST XTE, Freightliner XCR, ISB 360hp/800tq. Allison 3000, Koni FSD shocks, Roadmaster 1.75" front sway bar, Safe-T-Plus, DYI air bag flow control valves.
2015 Jeep Willy's Wheeler Wrangler Unlimited Toad, Ready-Brute-Elite tow system.
IdahoSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
I had a 2006 Winnebago Sightseer with the V10. I almost always towed my 2007 Saturn Vue. I averaged 7.0 mpg over the entire time I owned the coach. I would not expecting expect your gas mileage to go down appreciably.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would guess that if you tow on hills or mountains a lot you will notice a difference of 1 mile or more per gallon less than you get now. But if you travel mostly on level terrain you won't notice much of a difference. We tow a Captiva, which is a Chevy version of the Vue, in Wisconsin with a lot of hills and notice about 1mpg less than we get without the toad.
Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I tow a 2008 Vue XE. Although I have not done the math with or without (since I don't go very far without the toad) I know that the mileage penalty is not significant. I can typically get ~ 8.x MPGs. What is immediately apparent is that the motorhome loves to run without a 3,800 lb. car in her wake.
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote