Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:05 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We use a dolly because our car isn't towable four down and when we change cars it's not likely to be towable four down either. We're considering buying a Wrangler just for towing, but haven't done it yet. We can hook up in about ten minutes and bending down to strap it to the dolly isn't that difficult. The big disadvantage I see that it's quick with two of us, one guiding, the other driving the car onto the dolly. It could take longer to do it solo.

Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 04:08 PM   #16
We specifically acquired a vehicle that could be towed 4-down so we could easily hook/unhook. We did not want to have to screw around with dolly-related activities (like finding a place to put a dolly), and as someone else said the weight of the dolly is additional weight the MH must pull/brake. Thread here for reference: Ford C-MAX Towing Experience.

Much of our effort to avoid a dolly comes from our prior RV...a trailer. I hated hooking and unhooking that thing, and a tow dolly seemed to be be a different form of the same hassle.

I've pretty much got this down to where I can hook up in easily less than 90 seconds start-to-finish (unhook in less time than that) if the tow bar is already on the MH; add another 90 seconds if I have to remove the tow bar it from the MH storage compartment and hook up the MH end. I do use a ReadyBrute Elite, so there is no braking system to turn on (that save a lot of time), calibrate, etc...I just hook up the brake cable with a clip.

The only hassle was the initial setup of the base plate, brake system and brake lights. On our towed it took a bit of work for the base plate and brake cable due to the very minimal space underneath the hood. But once done...it's done. The lights were easy...and tied into the existing vehicle lights with diodes so I have to do nothing but hook up the electrical cable from the MH.

My wife uses this car for work commuting normally, so that was a another factor...had to be a nice car for that primary purpose. That's why we decided against the Jeeps...but when I replace my car (I work out of the house) we'll likely get a Jeep and install the same tow setup so we can pull either vehicle (Jeep for "adventure camping," and the C-MAX otherwise).

2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2800QSF
2013 Ford C-MAX SEL towed
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:57 AM   #17
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
4 down is the only way to go. Our 2000 Wrangler didn't cost an arm and a leg and the tow bar was reasonable enough, the brake buddy is a necessary evil in some states. At 3200 lbs the Jeep doesn't put a strain on the motorhome with its 8 brakes. Tag axels are worth their weight in gold. The Brake Buddy is a pain in the tail, but California and Oregon require surge brakes so there you go. Never a problem without it in Idaho and Montana mountains and all. Got to Yellowstone and the Jeep has come in real handy. Gear shift in neutral, and drive selector in neutral, key on, and power cable hooked up between the MH and Jeep and you're good to go.

'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is online now   Reply With Quote

dolly, tow, tow dolly