Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #29
Originally Posted by JohnFreyja View Post
I have a 2010 Escape (4 wheel dr) and the manual is vey specific that I run the engine AND shift into Drive and Reverse before shutting off to tow and also to do this every 6 hours. Seems like it might be suggesting the need to run it in gear to be affective.

The transmission in your Escape has splash lube when towing. The reason for the stopping and running in gear is to allow the fluid to cool down. If not, there will be enough heat generated to literally melt the plastic in your trans and cause a failure. Following the guide lines is criticle for keeping that transmission from failing during flat towing.

jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #30
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
A couple of issues. You need to see that the transmission design actually pumps oil to the bearings while idling and in neutral. Some do not, so it would do no good to run the engine.

Next, is what will happen if your car overheats or the engine shuts down?

Automatic transmissions have separate lube circuits. These lube circuits has fluid being pushed through them at all times the engine is running. The pump is capable of a lot of pressure at idle (over 120 psi) so providing lube is not a problem.

jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #31
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To keep the pump in the tranny running
Rick and Julia
2005 Dolphin 5376, W24, Solid Body Paint, Koni FSD's
2007 Wrangler Unlimited....it follows us everywhere.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #32
Is this my future???

We bought a 2010 Mercury Mariner just three weeks ago specifically because it is listed as being flat towable. The owners manual describes a recomended trans fluid level for flat towing.
I called the Ford dealership just this morning to adjust the fluid level. They stated that a TSB from Ford states this now needs the Remco fluid pump, or the service manger suggested I just tow it with the engine running.
I am headed down to the dealer this afternoon to find out more about this, may have to try to get them to accept the vehicle back somehow since it was bought for this purpose.
defkaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #33
The US Gear Unified Tow Brake uses a vacuum pump activated when braking is called for to use your power brakes for braking.

Originally Posted by KIX View Post
I think there's a larger issue than saving the cost of a trans pump, d/s disco or a trailer. That issue is that how would you use an aux braking system successfully? The auyx systems I'm familiar with are designed to apply the brake without any power assistance from an engine that is running. It would seem that with the engine running and aux braking applied you could easily lock up the toad brakes. Maybe you guys with the engines running are not using aux brakes. If this is the case it brings up a couple of questions:
1. Is your tow vehicle designed to stop an additional 4000 or so lbs in a panic stop?
2. Most states require aux brakes on vehicles being towed. So, what are you going to do when there's an accident?
3. What about the safety of others traveling the same roads?

It seems that the efforts to save a few bucks may just end up costing immeasurably more.

Bill Johnson
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 37WDS
2013 Chevy Equinox Toad
beejay25 is offline   Reply With Quote