Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #1

Flat towable mini SUV

Hello everyone,
I am not new here, but this is, I
think my second thread. I very often visit because i find a lot of good information in this group. In the last few weeks I have been looking for a flat four towable mini suv and by asking people I get more and more confused. Even the dealer where I have purchased my Itasca Sunova gave an answer that did not satisfy me at all. Days ago I found a 2008 chevy equinox, I asked the dealer and they told me that it was not towable because it was all wheel drive. but the people who are selling the suv say that it can be towed, all I need is pull a fuse while it is towed, now I am looking a 2006 chevy trailblazer and I am afraid to ask to avoid adding more confusion. can any of you in this group shine some light for me> thank you very much

Frank
2007 Itasca Sunova

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2011 Equinox AWD, and it tows perfectly well, and Mfg, has instructions in the owners manual about how it is to be do. ne. The fuse pulling is done to avoid adding mileage while towing. It does not draw the battery down as some may suggest. Again, the owners manual has all the info for towing. I looked up tow vehicles in the Trailer life magazine to pick what had the best rating... at that time Equinox filled my needs and was highly rated. Good luck!

Old 08-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #3

Found this, Chevrolet website with owner's manuals for various vehicles.

Owner's Manuals and How-to Videos | Chevrolet

Went to the 2008 tab, picked Equinox manual. That particular vehicle shows the guidelines for dinghy towing starting on page 267.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
WDW

I'm betting you can call the manufacture with the VIN for the most definitive answer.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The Equinox appeared in late 2008 and didn't make it into that years Dinghy Tow Guides, but the 2009 Equinox is listed as being towable in both 2WD and AWD configurations. Ask to see the owner manual section on "Recreational Towing" to verify and the instructions should be there.

http://webcontent.goodsam.com/DinghyGuide2009.pdf
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:43 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the OWNERS manual for Flat Tow capability. That is the only word that counts, you can also check on the MFG's web site for the Owners manual and look in there.

If you like Jeeps then look at the Liberty 4X4 they make great used small flat tow vehicles. The big thing with Jeeps is that they have to have neutral position on the Transfer case in order to be flat towed.
Most of your GM's can be flat towed just check the owners manual first.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:05 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you want something a bit smaller than the Equinox, but essentially the same, look for a Chevy Captiva or 08-09 Saturn Vue.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We like our Captiva a lot, it's very easy to tow.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:08 AM   #9

Google "Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Guide", they have been publishing these for a lotta years, free download and it will tell you all the towable cars plus has several good articles on brake systems and tow bars. Best reference to get you started. As mentioned, the owners manual is the final word. Many new cars can't be towed flat four because they have engine driven oil pumps for transmission lube.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:08 AM   #10

thanks to all of you who took the time and give me useful advices. I already bought a Saturn Vue 2008 2.4 L 4 cylinders. Now my questions are: is there anything I should do to the car, sudh as pulling fuses? will I add miles to the vehicle when it is towed? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Owner's Manual gives very good, explicit instructions on how to tow 4 down. BTW, great choice for a toad! I'm looking at getting one myself, but V6 & FWD. I don't want/need the extra weight of AWD and I want the V6 for light towing.

Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow