Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Subaru's with manual transmissions are flat towable without modification or limitations. We tow an Outback with no problems, to tow put transmission in neutral, emergency brake off and the key to position 1--it unlocks the steering wheel. All in all pretty simple, full time 4WD and it gets 27 mpg around town.
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2010 Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain owners manuals list details on how to flat tow these small SUVs. Demco lists base plates for both and has detailed installation instructions on the Demco web site. I have a GMC Terrain on order.

2010 GMC Terrain, Demco: Base plate, Excalibar II tow bar, and Sentry Deflector.
Don The Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #17

One responder says All Escapes are towable, another says Only the All Wheel Drive. The current 2010 Ford tow booklet seem slightly confusing and most dealars have no clue so I remain confused.

So, any one know for sure whether or not a non-hybrid 2WD and or the AWD is really towable four wheels down this model year? It is time to replace the Tracker.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #18
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhouse View Post
One responder says All Escapes are towable, another says Only the All Wheel Drive. The current 2010 Ford tow booklet seem slightly confusing and most dealars have no clue so I remain confused.

So, any one know for sure whether or not a non-hybrid 2WD and or the AWD is really towable four wheels down this model year? It is time to replace the Tracker.
Here is your answer on the Ford web site.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Post Ford Flat towing Escape

Very nice, Ford has it spelled out the way it should have done a long time ago. If you are looking at an older version of the Ford Escape, look at the owners manual that comes with it. I tried before I bought my 2008 Escape, to get info from all the Ford dealers and got so many answers or passed from one department to another, to no avail. Sales answer is yes to anything you ask and service managers really don't know much about the flat towing issue. The mechanics may know but you can never get time with them. I was finally told by Ford in an e-mail if the owners manual says you can, you can. If their are conditions they will spell it out. In 2008 the all wheel drive non hybrid could not be flat towed, but the hybrid could. It has a completely different transmission. We have had no trouble flat towing our 2008 Escape Hybrid, and have towed about 8,000 miles. I have only added a Toad-charge to the car. By the way a hybrid has an active brake system, so the brake system is not dead when you are towing so it may discharge your battery on longer trips and normal braking systems will not work. The explanation of a dead brake system is when you have power on, the power brakes work by just tapping them normally, but when you shut the power off you must force the brake down to apply them. On an active brake system they have power all the time. I do not have a new brake system for this car yet and I am trying to find the best one for a hybrid. I am going to create a new post to find out other owners experiences on the active brake system that they have.
JimO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #20
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Click here for Ford towing guides from 2002 to 2010. The Ford towing guides are excellent.

4 wheel down towing and trailer towing info is available on this site.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #21

My 2005 Saturn Vue owner's manual states that any AWD or FWD with VTi transaxle should not be towed 4 down - use a dolly
bobemills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is the Ford 2012 4 down tow guide: https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...wdtow_Sep6.pdf
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Honda CRV All Wheel Drive is flat towable with no mods.
All CR-V's are towable including the two wheel drive only model.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote