Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #1

Flat towable truck

Hello from Tampa, Fl. I am happy to join as I am a new RV owner.
I have a question being new to rving. I just purchased a 2016 Entegra Aspire. Took delivery three weeks ago. Still getting to know the MH. My wife and i will be flat towing a pickup with a Motor Cycle in the bed of the truck. I am about to purchase a 2013 F 150 STX 4X4 SUPER CAB. I have had lengthy discussion with the dealership regarding this vehicle's flat tow capabilities. We have read the owners manual starting on page 284 "vehicle towing". The manual describes "emergency towing proceedures" and recreational towing". The proceedure for rec. Towing is several steps and if you follow them you get a confirmation on the display screen indicating you are in flat tow mode.
With that said I would like someone to confirm that I am buying a vehicle that can be flat towed without any problems. Just trying to be prudent and not purchase the wrong vehicle. Thanks in advance for any help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We have a 2012 Ford 4x4 crew cab that is perfect for flat towing.
Just follow the procedure in the owners manual for "neutral towing" setup.
Takes all of 60 seconds!

Bob

the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:40 PM   #3

Welcome to iRV2 .

I take it from your description of the steps and confirmation info for flat towing that this truck is equipped with an electronic shift transfer case.
I'll let the Ford boys , give info for sure but , all Dodges with 4X4 are ok to tow with transfer case in neutral.

You can enter the truck's info here to confirm what you read in the owners manual.

Store : Remco
Old 04-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #4

If it says it's OK in the Owner's Manual, then it is OK. That is the final authority, if it doesn't work then it's on Ford.

Doesn't matter what the Ford salesman says, what Remco says, what the guy at the RV store says, or anybody else. If you're worried about warranty, then what matters is what Ford says in writing, like in the Owner's Manual.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Children,

I have the same truck.

I posted the correct info on the flat towing capability.

It has a knob on the dash that you turn for 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive.

There is a read out display in the information center on the dash above the steering wheel to let you know what configuration you're in.

There is a specific and easy to follow procedure in the owners manual that tells you exactly what steps you follow to put it in "Neutral Tow"

You HAVE to leave the key in the ignition during flat towing.
This is because the steering wheel CANNOT be locked!

I had a "dummy" key(non-chipped) made to use for this purpose.
That prevents the unlikely possibility of unauthorized starting(theft) of the vehicle while in "Neutral Tow".

It's easy- It's not rocket science

Bob
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #6

Old 04-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Yes it is towable, we tow a 13 super crew with Roadmaster tow brackets and a Blue Ox 10,000 tow bar and M&G toad brakes. I lamated the procedure for putting the truck in towing mode and taking it out and keep it on the dash, another thing that is needed is a charge line if you use a toad brake that presses the foot brake in the truck as it can run the battery down and the owners manual has a warning that states that a low voltage could cause the trans fear case to shift out of the tow mode.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsims6979 View Post
Hello from Tampa, Fl. I am happy to join as I am a new RV owner.
I have a question being new to rving. I just purchased a 2016 Entegra Aspire. Took delivery three weeks ago. Still getting to know the MH. My wife and i will be flat towing a pickup with a Motor Cycle in the bed of the truck. I am about to purchase a 2013 F 150 STX 4X4 SUPER CAB. I have had lengthy discussion with the dealership regarding this vehicle's flat tow capabilities. We have read the owners manual starting on page 284 "vehicle towing". The manual describes "emergency towing proceedures" and recreational towing". The proceedure for rec. Towing is several steps and if you follow them you get a confirmation on the display screen indicating you are in flat tow mode.
With that said I would like someone to confirm that I am buying a vehicle that can be flat towed without any problems. Just trying to be prudent and not purchase the wrong vehicle. Thanks in advance for any help
Rsims,
Ford, in its infinite wisdom, did not allow any of its F-150 fleet 4x4 trucks to to be flat towed from 2011 and back. But, in 2012, someone at Ford thought: "Hmmmm, the others are doing it so, why don't we"? So, in 2012, they changed the operative procedure for the electronic shifting of the transfer case to provide a NEUTRAL and, therefore, allow the truck to be flat towed. Yes, there's a few steps to getting it ready but, you'll get used to it.

Now, on the motorcycle side. May I ask what type/size etc. that you will be hauling? The main reason I ask is, we also haul a bike in our toad. We tow an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab. We use the Rampage motorcycle lift/carrier in the bed and, we carry an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing. That lift works very well. Just wondering what you'll be hauling.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #10

Hello Scott, thanks for info. As for the bike i will be loading my Harley ultra glide limited, 900 lbs and installing a rampage lift system. I have done a lot of research and it appears to be the best choice for my situation.

Tags
tow