Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Flat towed vehicles also Dolly capable?

Hi. I have been researching many options for towing vehicles behind the MH, both flat 4 and with a dolly. I need to buy both the toed and the towing method. My question is, if a vehicle is a AWD, 4WD or RWD compatible for flat towing four wheels 'down", is it also compatible for dolly towing "two wheels down"? It seems sensible to me but I am interested if there are any exceptions to this rule that others have found with their vehicles.

Thanks
Mark

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #2

I can only give you the info I have researched. I looked at Subaru manual transmission, you can flat tow but not tow on a dolly. Not sure about Jeeps but I am sure there are folks who will respond to that question. Not sure why you would want a RWD but most FWD that are flat towable, like my Jetta, are also towable on a dolly, which I do. Towed on a dolly until I got the base plate and stuff hooked up. Now tow flat. I could not find an AWD that was towable both ways so kept to the FWD cars when I was looking since I was not set up for flat towing at the time.

Good luck

Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think there will be a general catch all answer to your question. The more likely situation as described by Dan DeBruin is that some are and some are not.

In all cases however you should consult the owners manual for towing instructions of any vehicle before you commit to towing it in any manner.

It is not something I personally would take someones word for without verifying with the owners manual.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Both the owner's manuals in our Wrangler and Cherokee have this warning in them.

CAUTION!
Internal damage to the transfer case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing.

Ours are older but the transfer cases haven't changed their design much over the years. Jeep is still using the NP-231 in all Wranglers with the exception of the NP241OR in the Rubicon.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
you must check the owners manual. do not take the verble word of a sales person or a an RV freind. not a one answer fits all.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
During your travels look what other people are towing and ask a lot of questions. Remco.com is a good source for what can and what cannot be towed. I presently tow a Chev HHR auto 4 down without mods, other than removing a fuse (now have a switch) prior to that towed an AWD Honda CVR and Toyota 4X4 with stick(for sale) so find what you like and do your home work.

Don
Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check with Remco. They have always advised us on towability and have been right on the money. Their number is 1 800 228 2481 Or go online.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #8

We used to tow on a dolly, hated it! Flat tow now and much better!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
The problem with towing an all wheel drive vehicle with the front wheels on a dolly is the transfer case. It is expecting both sets of wheels going about the same speed. When they aren't, it is likely to overheat.

Unless the transfer case has a neutral (like a true 4 wheel drive vehicle) that can be locked out, I don't know of any all wheel drive vehicle that can be towed with 2 wheels down.

The Remco pump can solve the problem of lubricating the transmission, but doesn't help with the transfer case...
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Honda CRV AWD can not be towed on a dolly. It must be 4 down or all four on a trailer. I don't think you will find any AWD that will allow dolly towing. On my 4X4 Colorado, it can be towed on a dolly using the same xfer case to neutral method as 4 down.

Glenn
Old 12-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
There are many 4WD vehicles with a neutral position in the transfer case that CANNOT be towed on a dolly.

It's either 4 up or 4 down. GM/Chevy is like this. There may be exceptions.

Even though the transfer case has a neutral to isolate it from the transmission, the transfer case can be damaged by only one drive shaft tuning.

Always confirm towability by reading the owners manual.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICURV2 View Post
Hi. I have been researching many options for towing vehicles behind the MH, both flat 4 and with a dolly. I need to buy both the toed and the towing method. My question is, if a vehicle is a AWD, 4WD or RWD compatible for flat towing four wheels 'down", is it also compatible for dolly towing "two wheels down"? It seems sensible to me but I am interested if there are any exceptions to this rule that others have found with their vehicles.

Thanks
Mark
Hello Mark,
If you are committed to non-FWD vehicles than it is unlikely a dolly is the right choice for you.

A dolly provides options to use different vehicles but that is generally only true for FWD. Others have already stated and I think you will find with more research that AWD and 4WD vehicles need both front and rear wheels to be turning at the same speed. If a RWD vehicle can be flat towed (I doubt there are many) it should be able to be dollied.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #13

My toad is a 2012 Wrangler. Xfer case in N, trans in P, lock and roll.
And that is the only way with this one.
I've watched people load their dollys. I'm gone before they get it half done.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the valuable info. Hopefully I will make up my mind in the new year.

OICURV2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly