Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Flat towing

Okay I started my search for a vehicle I could flat tow behind my 2007 Winnebago j35. The vehicle also needs to be able to pull my 21 foot pontoon. The only thing I found that I like is the 2012 gmc terrain with the v-6 engine. Any thoughts on this crossover or anther vehicle that work for these two uses?
Rsanchez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rsanchez24,
As long as the owner's manual says you can tow it, GMC is noted for making heavy duty vehicles. I have a 05 GMC ENVOY and have towed it for 6+ years and 82K+ miles with no problems.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your 2007 is on the W22 or W24 chassis, it has a 5000# max tow capacity. The '12 Terrain with the V6 capable of towing up to a 3500# trailer has a GVWR well over 5000#, so you may be pushing it weight wise with that toad. Curb weight of the Terrain loaded will be close to your MH's hitch max.

My 2007 Winnie would love a lighter toad going over mountains. (4500# jeep now)

safe travels
j
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We towed a Colorado Crew 4x4 over 50K miles. It was a Z71 and weighed 4200 with a 1/4 tank of gas. It could tow 4000. It was a good reliable vehicle. We also drove it about 80K. Now our son has it! The non Z71 weighs less than 4000.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #5

I own a 2010 GMC Terrain with the V6. We've owned it for a year and a half and I can say, it's a terrific SUV. We've pulled it with our Allegro Bus ( must pull one fuse-very easy to reach) and we don'y even know it's behind us. We also use it to pull our 13' Scamp that's fully loaded and probably weights close to 2,000 lbs when we have it all loaded. The Terrain tows the Scamp effortlessly and that includes travels trough the Rocky Mountains.
I can strongly recommend the Terrain as a TOAD and as a tow vehicle. If you purchase one, you'll not only enjoy it when you're RV'ing, it drives like a dream. We like everything about this fine mid-sized SUV!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder
I own a 2010 GMC Terrain with the V6. We've owned it for a year and a half and I can say, it's a terrific SUV. We've pulled it with our Allegro Bus ( must pull one fuse-very easy to reach) and we don'y even know it's behind us. We also use it to pull our 13' Scamp that's fully loaded and probably weights close to 2,000 lbs when we have it all loaded. The Terrain tows the Scamp effortlessly and that includes travels trough the Rocky Mountains.
I can strongly recommend the Terrain as a TOAD and as a tow vehicle. If you purchase one, you'll not only enjoy it when you're RV'ing, it drives like a dream. We like everything about this fine mid-sized SUV!
I bought a terrain today, really like it. Now trying to figure out if I want to dingy tow it or tow dolly and not accrue miles. Decisions decisions.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsanchez24 View Post
I bought a terrain today, really like it. Now trying to figure out if I want to dingy tow it or tow dolly and not accrue miles. Decisions decisions.
You will NOT accumulate miles on the speedo as it's electronic and does not register when being towed. What small amount of "wear" you put on the suspension during towing is negligible so I wouldn't worry about that either!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder

You will NOT accumulate miles on the speedo as it's electronic and does not register when being towed. What small amount of "wear" you put on the suspension during towing is negligible so I wouldn't worry about that either!
I am thinking the same thing. I really want to flat tow it so I don't have a tow dolly to store.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The Terrain is nowhere near the 5000 lb tow limit on his chassis. I have a GMC Acadia, the much larger brother of the Terrain, and it weighs about 4900 lbs when on the road. I've scaled it along with the coach, so I'm sure of that. Remember, there is no driver when under tow so that pretty much offsets the weight on any gear you may have onboard.

And it does NOT accumulate miles when towed 4-down.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer
The Terrain is nowhere near the 5000 lb tow limit on his chassis. I have a GMC Acadia, the much larger brother of the Terrain, and it weighs about 4900 lbs when on the road. I've scaled it along with the coach, so I'm sure of that. Remember, there is no driver when under tow so that pretty much offsets the weight on any gear you may have onboard.

And it does NOT accumulate miles when towed 4-down.
Thanks Gary.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

A fulltimer buddy of mine bought a Terrain back in November. Hasn't towed it very far yet since they are wintering in FL, but they love it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote