Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cool Flat Towing

Have a 2003 National. The hitch is rated 5000 lb towing and 500 lb tonque weight. I am using a Blue Ox tow bar rated at 7500 lb.
I have been towing a 1999 Chey Blazer that has a curb weight of 4129 lb.
I now will be towing a 2055 Chey Crew Cab with a curb weight of 5299.
In my opinion I do not believe it is nesscary to install a higher rated hitch on the MH. What do you think?
u00jdd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #2

Sounds to me like the hitch is fine, but the motor home's frame is too light for the towed vehicle...IMO.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sounds like a denied insurance claim if something happens. Are you certain that your quoted toad weight is correct? Will you be adding more weight to it by carrying stiff in it that is not part of curb weight? will your MH be near GVWR? Are you really buying something about 42 years from the future?

Bottom line to me (and you asked for opinions) is that it is a mistake to exceed manufacturer's specifications. I would not accept any vehicle brochure specifications as being exact so when you go get it weighed, it could weigh less or more. Don't forget that the truck bed will just beg to be used so you can carry stuff in it thus adding to your toad weight.

Sounds like you have already committed to this configuration. Sounds like you might be looking for validation instead of opinion.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #4

Aside from the insurance claim issue (already mentioned) and if you had to try and use it..........don't think for a moment that insurance companies won't investigate every limit mentioned for any claim!!!!!!!

Maybe you've exceeded the amount of tow vehicle you're towing for the rig you've got.

Just my two cents on the topic.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by u00jdd2 View Post
Have a 2003 National. The hitch is rated 5000 lb towing and 500 lb tonque weight. I am using a Blue Ox tow bar rated at 7500 lb.
I have been towing a 1999 Chey Blazer that has a curb weight of 4129 lb.
I now will be towing a 2055 Chey Crew Cab with a curb weight of 5299.
In my opinion I do not believe it is nesscary to install a higher rated hitch on the MH. What do you think?
Check the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of your coach, subtract the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). This is what your coach can tow based on full weights. Better yet to weigh your coach fully loaded and subtract this weight from the GCWR. This is how much weight your coach can tow as certified by the manufacturer based on your actual weights.

Technically, you will be pulling more weight than the hitch is rated for. You know what they say about good lawyers...
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #6

Wow! I would never pull that much weight with that motorhome.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #7

Flat towing is a BIG difference from a trailer. A trailer follows anywhere it is pulled, a flat towed vehicle has to be steered everywhere it is towed. There is a lot of side to side pressure on a hitch especially at slow speeds. The ratings are there for a reason. Do a search on flat towed accidents just for fun.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I'd do two things before towing overweight.

1. Weigh the truck with it in the condition you'll be towing it. "Curb" weights as listed in the owner's manuals/brochures can be optimistic at best.

2. Crawl under the motorhome and look at the frame extensions. I found this under a Sightseer we were looking at.

There was a 1" strap welded to the other side as a "reinforcement" but the same welder did it and the welds looked just as bad.

I have a friend that tows a rock crawler on 39"s on a trailer, figure 6500lbs total, behind his Ford based class C with a huge overhang, no issues yet but darned if I'd do it.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hello , you are talking about 5% more than the rated cap. of the hitch. The hitch is tested at 125 % or more of the rated cap. The frame has higher rated and tested cap. than the hitch that is bolted to it, Will it cause you problems? because of the 5%, I doubt that a investagation would insue to see or find that you were over by 5%.
I guess it all depends if you are a "by the book " type of guy. My self........ lets roll
Old 12-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Check the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of your coach, subtract the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). This is what your coach can tow based on full weights. Better yet to weigh your coach fully loaded and subtract this weight from the GCWR. This is how much weight your coach can tow as certified by the manufacturer based on your actual weights.

Technically, you will be pulling more weight than the hitch is rated for. You know what they say about good lawyers...
NO NO NO

If the hitch is rated at 5000# it is 5000# whether or not the MH is below/at/over GVWR.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hello , you are talking about 5% more than the rated cap. of the hitch. The hitch is tested at 125 % or more of the rated cap. The frame has higher rated and tested cap. than the hitch that is bolted to it, Will it cause you problems? because of the 5%, I doubt that a investagation would insue to see or find that you were over by 5%.
I guess it all depends if you are a "by the book " type of guy. My self........ lets roll
Your point is to ignore manufacturer limits? How about 10% based on the theory the manufacturer actually meant 125% of published is the "real" standard.

Tests are just that, tests. That assumes every hitch comes out as well constructed and mounted as the test hitch. In fact, do you know these are actually torture tested with a representative sample of productions parts or are they just computer tested? I don't the answer specifically but I don't think I want to bet my life and financial future on intentionally exceeding specs.

The OP does't appear to actually know the real weight of the toad. Maybe so but it isn't clear and, after all, it is a truck and I guarantee that if it is convenient to put something in the bed of that truck it will be done.

I won't argue too much about how thorough of an investigation might ensue over how much the toad weighed. However, if there is any indication that the behavior of the towing vehicle was influenced by the toad, it can open up that avenue of investigation. Working with a team of NTSB investigators after an aircraft accident I can assure you that they have some very detailed investigatory practices. When ever aircraft controllability is suspect, they will figure out where passengers were seated, how much they weighed, where the luggage was and all other factors affecting controllability.

I'm not foolish enough to say that a 5% excess is guaranteed to screw up the rotation of the world or destroy the MH. It is just not smart to go down that slipper slope no knowing what is at the bottom.

OH...I do know that at the bottom of every slope is a hungry lawyer.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=Sky_Boss;

The OP does't appear to actually know the real weight of the toad.

Quote from OP:
I now will be towing a 2055 Chey Crew Cab with a curb weight of 5299

Sounds like he knows what he is going to tow to me.....

You also missed " if you are a by the book kind of guy"......

And you are more worried about the 21st than me....... I can tell
Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK I heard you all and did what I should have done in the first place. I put the spare tire for the MH and a half tank of fuel in the truck. Went and had it weighted. I do not like the answer but will have to live with it. It weighted 6020 lbs.
Anybody want to buy a nice truck? Tried to kill two birds with one stone but only killed one.
Thanks to all for your opinions.
u00jdd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by u00jdd2 View Post
OK I heard you all and did what I should have done in the first place. I put the spare tire for the MH and a half tank of fuel in the truck. Went and had it weighted. I do not like the answer but will have to live with it. It weighted 6020 lbs.
Anybody want to buy a nice truck? Tried to kill two birds with one stone but only killed one.
Thanks to all for your opinions.
...feel your pain. We had an Avalanche that weighed in at just under 6,000. Knew we couldn't tow it, sold it.
Tried the car on the dolly thing, our car not such a good fit, now have a Wrangler, setting it up for towing 4 down.

Tags
towing