Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Flat towing 2003 Ford 4x4 automatic

After much looking at cargo trailers for our trike, with the thought that sometimes we might want more vehicle...I came up with the brain storm that we could tow the trike on a flat bed and have both. My GMC Sierra is not 4x4 and I don't really want to drive a flat bed full time LOL After looking at new ones I am not wanting to pay for...I know the 2014 models can be flat towed in neutral but what about a 2003 Ford 250 4 wheel drive? If so , we have a paid for model , that would tickle me pink LOL adding a suitable flat bed to it would prob be around the same cost as a trailer and a lot cheaper than a 2014! So is this feasible ? THANKS! Trying to get out of the drive with it all in one pkg. LOL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #2

Manual shift 4x4 with a neutral position yes, Electric 4x4 (switch), no.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
:( ok , I have been told that I could put a loop pump on my GMC automatic, but again I don't really want a flat bed. Probably a dumb ? but I have to ask, could you put a loop pump on the Ford 4x4, or is there any way to flat tow it? Thanks!
Old 08-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegirl2u View Post
:( ok , I have been told that I could put a loop pump on my GMC automatic, but again I don't really want a flat bed. Probably a dumb ? but I have to ask, could you put a loop pump on the Ford 4x4, or is there any way to flat tow it? Thanks!
okiegirl2,
You crack me up. "loop pump", that's great. What it's called is a "Lube pump" and, it's marketed by "Remco", a company that deals a lot in towing situations. The "lube pump" is for automatic transmission equipped vehicles that CANNOT be flat towed, due to inappropriate lubing of all the transmission components. The lube pump, is mounted in the engine compartment of that vehicle, and is connected to the transmission cooling lines. When the tow vehicle, or, motor home is started, it sends a signal, via the pig tail between the two vehicles, to that lube pump, to start pumping ATF through those lines, and, that is supposed to be enough to protect that expensive automatic transmission, while you're towing the car/truck down the road.

I'm not a fan of them but, that's simply a preference thing. Now, there are quite a few threads on motor cycle and trike carrying lately so, it might behoove you to look around on both IRV2 and, RV.net to see what other folks have done in your situation.

Since Ford, in its infinite wisdom, did not allow ANY of it's F-150 series with automatics, (almost no stick shifts were produced) with what's called an "electronic shift" transfer case, manufactured prior to the year/model 2012 to be flat towed, many folks turned to GMC or, Chevy or, Dodge, all in the 1500 series 4x4s to be flat towed, since all of those manufacturers allowed those units to be flat towed, way earlier in model years. Imagine that. Ford finally came around in 2012 and set their F-150 4x4 trucks up to be flat towed.

Anyway, if your F-250 is, 4x4 and, has a "manual shifted" transfer case, that is, one that can be physically shifted into NEUTRAL, ("N" indicator on the shift knob or, on a panel next to the shifter) then yes, that unit can be towed. Once the transfer case is in neutral, then that protects all the rest of the drive train from damage due to spinning gears and bearings that otherwise would not be lubed properly when being towed down the road.

Now, as for getting your trike into the bed of a regular bed truck, there's lots of folks out there that are accomplishing that. They use of what's called a "Rampage" lift which, does it very easily. There are other lift/carriers for pickups out on the market but, I'm only really familiar with the Rampage unit because I have installed and use one. I set it up so that, it's instantaneously removable when, the bike isn't being hauled. It takes me and the wife, about 1-2 minutes to remove that lift.

Anyway, hope this info clears some things up for you. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fire Up, ok ....I got it. LUBE not loop. lol . Thanks for the help, I have done a lot of searching and was hoping to find an answer that would allow use of one the vehicles already available. I surrender , I gave it a good fight. haha guess I'm getting a new truck for towing for now and later think we will add a hydralift on the back of MH for the trike. I am going to check the forums later for that set up and hopefully gather some feed back on that. Supposedly you can carry trike on the lift and still use ox to tow vehicle. I don't really mind replacing my 07 Sierra but I don't really want to drive a flat bed full time just for the sake of the trike traveling with us on trips.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Fire Up, ok ....I got it. LUBE not loop. lol . Thanks for the help, I have done a lot of searching and was hoping to find an answer that would allow use of one the vehicles already available. I surrender , I gave it a good fight. haha guess I'm getting a new truck for towing for now and later think we will add a hydralift on the back of MH for the trike. I am going to check the forums later for that set up and hopefully gather some feed back on that. Supposedly you can carry trike on the lift and still use ox to tow vehicle. I don't really mind replacing my 07 Sierra but I don't really want to drive a flat bed full time just for the sake of the trike traveling with us on trips.
okiegirl2u,
You're most certainly welcome for that info. Yep, this RV stuff, including toads, can get to be a pain, once in a while. But, once it's all settled and you're motoring down the road, it's all great. What kind of trike are we talking about, Harley, Honda Goldwing, what? Most of the time, the weight of either of those two brands, is fairly close. We just returned from a 5 week, 4,000 mile trip that was very close to Sturgis, SD. You should have seen all the trikes we encountered.

There was even a new BMW, K1600 trike at one of our last campground/RV parks. Never seen one of those. Anyway, it you're even remotely thinking about a Hydralift, I've got lots of info for you on that issue. You see, we used to have one on the back of our coach. I did the install. The Hydralift is by far, the best lift/carrier on the market. However, they know that and price it accordingly . The last time I checked, it hovered around $4,500.00 and, that's without tax and, shipping and, installation.

It is a very capable and stable unit though. Now, you don't say what kind of RV you have, how long it is, engine, trans, GVWR, and all that kind of stuff. You see, applying a lift on the back ads a fair amount of weight but, put a bike or, a trike in your case, will ad a serious amount of weight back there. And, it's not weight that's directly over the rear axle. It's weight that's "cantilevered" back behind the coach which, is intensified due to physics and geometry. Levers and all that stuff type talk.

So, if and when the time comes for you to start thinking about a Hydralift, surely PM me and I'd be very happy to help you with some issues, suggestions, and thoughts about that system. We used it for over 8,000 miles without any issues at all. Good luck.
Scott

Old 08-14-2014, 01:08 AM   #7

I'm not sure they make a lift for a trike.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:41 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hoping to put 2014 Harley Tri Glide on back of 08 Rev LE. Talked to a local dealer yesterday and he claims the lift will work for our trike. I am a bit nervous about the idea of hanging it in the air, particularly since if it falls off it will be crashing into what looks like is going to be my new pickup ;as opposed to any of our old ones, I have given up on that .
Old 08-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
And Scott, your setup is perfect! It gives me hope. As scary as it seems to me, yours gives me hope.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #10

Quote:
And Scott, your setup is perfect! It gives me hope. As scary as it seems to me, yours gives me hope.
Okiegirl,
Thank you again. Our setup, as you see it, was used for well over 8,000 miles. And, many on here and other forums thought I'd pull the back of the coach off, the front end would pull "wheelies", the coach would handle erradicly and be dangerous. Yeah sure it did. We had absolutely no ill-handling issues, no wandering, no breakages, no damages, no "porpusing" NOTHING!

The ride height control valves, take care off all the additional weight it accumulates or, looses. You see, we made trips with that total system on the back and, some without it. The coach, rode at the same EXACT height, front and back, with or without the lift or, the lift and bike, on or off the coach.

So, yours being a longer, heavier chassis'd coach, with much greater GVWR and, most likely greater GAWR of each axle, will handle that system with even greater ease. Hope this helps some. Good luck.
Scott
Old 08-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #11

I installed a remco disconnect from inside car which disconnects rear end on my mustang automatic.
call cliffs welding in mesa who did mine see if yours can be adapted
Old 08-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
okiegirl2u,
You're most certainly welcome for that info. Yep, this RV stuff, including toads, can get to be a pain, once in a while. But, once it's all settled and you're motoring down the road, it's all great. What kind of trike are we talking about, Harley, Honda Goldwing, what? Most of the time, the weight of either of those two brands, is fairly close. We just returned from a 5 week, 4,000 mile trip that was very close to Sturgis, SD. You should have seen all the trikes we encountered.

There was even a new BMW, K1600 trike at one of our last campground/RV parks. Never seen one of those. Anyway, it you're even remotely thinking about a Hydralift, I've got lots of info for you on that issue. You see, we used to have one on the back of our coach. I did the install. The Hydralift is by far, the best lift/carrier on the market. However, they know that and price it accordingly . The last time I checked, it hovered around $4,500.00 and, that's without tax and, shipping and, installation.

It is a very capable and stable unit though. Now, you don't say what kind of RV you have, how long it is, engine, trans, GVWR, and all that kind of stuff. You see, applying a lift on the back ads a fair amount of weight but, put a bike or, a trike in your case, will ad a serious amount of weight back there. And, it's not weight that's directly over the rear axle. It's weight that's "cantilevered" back behind the coach which, is intensified due to physics and geometry. Levers and all that stuff type talk.

So, if and when the time comes for you to start thinking about a Hydralift, surely PM me and I'd be very happy to help you with some issues, suggestions, and thoughts about that system. We used it for over 8,000 miles without any issues at all. Good luck.
Scott

Hey Fire Up, I think you need a few more toys
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #13

Can I flat tow my 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser with transfer in neutral and tranny in park?
Old 09-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
Hey Fire Up, I think you need a few more toys
navychaps,
Lol, man cannot have enough toys, especially while on trips. While on one of our trips a few years ago, I happened upon a gent who, had a flat bed trailer and was carrying the smaller Chevy Blazer on the bottom (deck of the trailer, a 19' deck boat on the upper deck of the trailer and, a Harley across the front end of the trailer. Yep, toys, it's all about that. Have fun out there.
Scott

Tags
ford, tow, towing