Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #1

flat towing 2011 Honda CR-V & 2011 ODY

just read in owners manual (available on line) the emergency towing shifting procedure for the CR-V on page 403 & 404 and noticed it varies from towing behind motorhome procedure on page 334. Any ideas why? Have 2011 Ody EXL 5 speed and trying to figure out what procedure I should use. The emergency towing procedure for the ody is same as that for the CR-V, but wondering if that is the best. Any help would really be appreciated.
BarbandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #2

I looked at the manual for my 2012 CRV, which I assume is very similar. Towing behind the vehicle is flat or dinghy towing with all four wheels down. Emergency towing is with two wheels off the ground. That's my best guess.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbandBob View Post
just read in owners manual (available on line) the emergency towing shifting procedure for the CR-V on page 403 & 404 and noticed it varies from towing behind motorhome procedure on page 334. Any ideas why? Have 2011 Ody EXL 5 speed and trying to figure out what procedure I should use. The emergency towing procedure for the ody is same as that for the CR-V, but wondering if that is the best. Any help would really be appreciated.
Please read the 2011 manual which allows emergency flat towing as well as flat towing behind motor-home. The 2012 does not allow any flat towing period. States " call a professional towing service"

You can view this manual online.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:46 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
You saying no flat towing for the Odysey, or the CRV?
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #5

Flat Towing Honda Ody & CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
You saying no flat towing for the Odysey, or the CRV?
What I am trying to do is decide if I can flat tow (4 down) my 2011 Ody EX-L.

Honda 2011 ODY manual states - only emergency flat tow max 35mph for max 50 mi using specified shifting procedure prior to tow. Remco states it is acceptable to tow @ max 65mph no mileage using the emergency shifting procedure (however they deny any liability). This only applies to the 5 speed trans.

Honda 2012 Ody Manual does not allow any flat tow 4 down towing. Recommend professional towing. Remco has same comments as for the 2011

Honda 2011 CR-V manual states flat towable behind motor home see page 334. Remco states flat towable following theHonda manual procedures (however not liable)

Honda 2012 CR-V manual states no towing whatsoever. Use professional. Remco has recommend a procedure for flat towing (however not liable)

Please verify all this information for yourself, reading The Honda manuals and the viewing the Remco Transmission Pump website.

Would appreciate any advice on towing the ODY.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We used to have an 09 Ody and the manual for it was the same as you are quoting. I have heard that several people have towed their Ody's using the same procedure as for the CRV but I wasn't willing to roll the dice and try it. We traded the Ody in for a 2013 CRV to be safe.

Curious why you have two references for the 2012 CRV one saying per manual and one saying not towable. I knew that Honda had changed transmissions for 2015 and that they were not towable but had not known of non towable CRV's before that date.
tim myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:05 PM   #7

Flat Towing Honda Ody & CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
We used to have an 09 Ody and the manual for it was the same as you are quoting. I have heard that several people have towed their Ody's using the same procedure as for the CRV but I wasn't willing to roll the dice and try it. We traded the Ody in for a 2013 CRV to be safe.

Curious why you have two references for the 2012 CRV one saying per manual and one saying not towable. I knew that Honda had changed transmissions for 2015 and that they were not towable but had not known of non towable CRV's before that date.
Re the 012 CR-V the Honda Manual does not permit any flat towing of any sort.
Remco suggests using the a procedure the same as provided in 011 Honda`Manual. But Honda does not have a procedure in their 012 manual which is the same as the 013 procedure, which I just read.

I am really having a hard time deciding on using the 011 Ody emergency tow procedure or the 011 &013 CRV tow behind motor home procedure.

Is there any possible way to contact these other folks towing the Ody. Would really appreciate any help you can give me. Use PM if you wish. Thanks

Really need the ODY for my handicap scooter.

Tags
honda, tow, towing