Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:32 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well you know what they say, read the f*&#ing manual and then read it again before you perform anything. And if you are still not sure then ask someone for help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
I did a fuse shut off for the dome light on my TJ Wrangler but its the same for anything. Take your fuse out and short it out to 'blow it' . I took a Dremel and cut a little plastic off the top of the fuse to expose more metal and soldered wires to that and put a switch and a fuse holder in between . The circuit is still protected by the same size fuse but has a switch to shut off power easily.
Ok guys.....made my own switch fuse holder harness and it seemed to be working ok. Then out of the blue the ignition key started getting stuck in the ignition. After three trips to the dealer, a replacement key cylinder, mounting housing and a visiting tech from GM, with no fix to the problem, they replaced my fuse switch holder with the original fuse in slot no. 32 and the key worked fine. So....be careful with your homemade switch and fuse holder it could cause other problems if not constructed properly. For the record, GM never did say what was wrong with my fuse holder. They just said it shouldn't be there.

Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #59

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Well you know what they say, read the f*&#ing manual and then read it again before you perform anything. And if you are still not sure then ask someone for help.
You misspelled "fine"
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
The lgnition switch on my 2012 Equinox is doing the same thing. I have the switch and fuse holder I wired on fuse 32 (on the console). I just replaced my switch assembly with the original fuse and it makes no difference. If I turn the key off slowly it will not go to the "off and out" position. If I turn the key off fast it will work every time. We bought the car just before we left to go south for the winter so the dealer said if I could live with turning it off fast they will repair it when we get home.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey32 View Post
The lgnition switch on my 2012 Equinox is doing the same thing. I have the switch and fuse holder I wired on fuse 32 (on the console). I just replaced my switch assembly with the original fuse and it makes no difference. If I turn the key off slowly it will not go to the "off and out" position. If I turn the key off fast it will work every time. We bought the car just before we left to go south for the winter so the dealer said if I could live with turning it off fast they will repair it when we get home.
When you go in for dealer work, replace the original fuse or GM might tell you the repair the ignition is on you since youbtampered with the original fuse.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #62
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The info provided by the above members is found on page 10-78 of your owners manual.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post

Follow the instructions for recreational towing in your owners manual and there should be no need for a battery disconnect switch to be used. Removing fuse #32 (Discrete Logic Ignition
Switch fuse) will keep the battery from going dead and stop the mileage from adding up while towing. Following the transmission sequence will insure no transmission problems, and if the lights are properly wired with diode installations, you should have no problems there.
We have many towed miles on our 2011 Equinox with no problems or accumulated miles We have copied and laminated the RV towing instructions to keep available in the car whenever we hook up. Also have installed a switch on fuse 32 so removable is not necessary.
George (my middle name), I just had my 2012 Equinox set up for 4 wheels down towing with a blue Ox Alpha Bar, a blu Ox lighting harness, and an Air Force One brake controller for air brakes. Regrettably, I now have a check engine light on, also a notice that the steering mobile servicing unit needs addressing. Chevy says the unit was not installed correctly and the installer says didn't tap into any toad electrics.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
It could be coincidence that the light came on. We have a 2012 Equinox & our check Engine light came on last week. We took it in for service & the dealer said it was really nothing & it doesn't take a lot for those to come on. In fact, he said it was getting ready to reset itself. Don't know much about cars, but you probably did nothing wrong.
karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by karencollins View Post
It could be coincidence that the light came on. We have a 2012 Equinox & our check Engine light came on last week. We took it in for service & the dealer said it was really nothing & it doesn't take a lot for those to come on. In fact, he said it was getting ready to reset itself. Don't know much about cars, but you probably did nothing wrong.
Chevy referred us back to the RV installer. They were adamant that they did not tie into anything electrical. When they examined the car they found and admitted (with much to their credit) that theirvtech may have accidentally bumped the brake pedal sensing switch and pushed the sensor out of the range of proper control. It was a 5 min fix and we were on our way. Chevy should have caught this. All seasons RV in Easton, PA stood by their work and Chevy passed the buck!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stant View Post
Ok guys.....made my own switch fuse holder harness and it seemed to be working ok. Then out of the blue the ignition key started getting stuck in the ignition. After three trips to the dealer, a replacement key cylinder, mounting housing and a visiting tech from GM, with no fix to the problem, they replaced my fuse switch holder with the original fuse in slot no. 32 and the key worked fine. So....be careful with your homemade switch and fuse holder it could cause other problems if not constructed properly. For the record, GM never did say what was wrong with my fuse holder. They just said it shouldn't be there.
I am not an expert, but I wonder if the added wire to the fuse cicuit could be adding to much resistannce to that circuit. these new electronics are very sennsitive to voltage.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
I am not an expert, but I wonder if the added wire to the fuse cicuit could be adding to much resistannce to that circuit. these new electronics are very sennsitive to voltage.
Interesting idea. I used 16ga stranded automotive wire to make the bypass loop for a 5amp fuse. I doubt resistance would because problem.....No?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Equinox ignition

We just came home from AZ for the winter. As I said before our 2012 Equinox also has the key problem. If I turn the key off fast it will work every time. If I do it slowly it will get stuck every time. I removed the switch I put in and replaced it with the original fuse. It made no difference. Now that we're home I am going to put the fuse back in and drive it for a while. I would like to know how many have tried the switch and how many of those have had the problem. Does anyone have the problem with the Equinox who have not installed the switch?I will enter a post in a week or so of my results.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey32 View Post
We just came home from AZ for the winter. As I said before our 2012 Equinox also has the key problem. If I turn the key off fast it will work every time. If I do it slowly it will get stuck every time. I removed the switch I put in and replaced it with the original fuse. It made no difference. Now that we're home I am going to put the fuse back in and drive it for a while. I would like to know how many have tried the switch and how many of those have had the problem. Does anyone have the problem with the Equinox who have not installed the switch?I will enter a post in a week or so of my results.
Per son ally, I don't think it has anything to do with the switch. Chevy removed mine (which i rebuiltvand reinstalled) and the problem persisted until they made adjustments to the key switch housing. My fuse bypass is in now and key problem is still fixed with no problems. Chevy wanted it out because they knew corporate would not eat the bill if t.he car was "tampered with".
Old 04-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #70

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Installed and have been using switch in our 2011 with no problems. I believe your ignition switch has a mechanical problem.

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing