Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Will I need to get a dummy key made?

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #72

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Will I need to get a dummy key made?
I was told by the local locksmith not to use a fake key without the computer chip. They said that using key without the chip would set the cars computer into a non start lock out mode as the computer would think you were trying to steal it. Just repeating what we were told but it does make sense as the keys do have chips in them. We just use the factory key and lock it with the other one.

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ditto what GeorgeZ said. Locksmith told us the same thing.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Chevy Equinox Toad

Please, just check the owners manual. All concerns will be answered. It will provide the instructions of the steps to follow when towing behind your motor home. Pull fuse as Identified, when you are finished making the connections. Go to the passenger side and the fuse box is on the center console side. Mine is a 5 amp fuse. It disables the drain of power and the ability to log miles.
All explained in the owners manual in the towing section.
I have the same model and that was why I got it, it is factory approved for towing!!
Hope this helps you going forward.
Surprised the dealer did not know this.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
Equinox ignition

I have been driving our 2012 Equinox this past week with my switch removed and the original fuse installed. The key is still getting stuck if I turn it off slow. In doing a web search I am finding the Equinox has lots of problems with the ignition switch. I will be taking ours back to the dealer. Happy trails everyone.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey32 View Post
I have been driving our 2012 Equinox this past week with my switch removed and the original fuse installed. The key is still getting stuck if I turn it off slow. In doing a web search I am finding the Equinox has lots of problems with the ignition switch. I will be taking ours back to the dealer. Happy trails everyone.
Yes, ours took two trips back to the dealer to get it right. First they replaced the lock cylinder and that didn't do it. On the second trip, a factory rep advised the shop tech on the proper alignment of the cylinder parts, relay contacts and the key lock housing. No problems since and I am continuing to use my fuse bypass switch which I made and installed.

Hope you get it resolved quickly.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #77

I have the same type of Equinox and towed it 7000 miles last year with none showing up on the odometer.You have to pull the fuse identified in the owners manual. I also use the SMI brake system so the things that I need powered are. You also have to start the engine and run it in neutral every 250 miles to lubricate the transmission and to charge the battery. I am surprised that you did not drain your battery if you did not pull the right fuse.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
I have the same type of Equinox and towed it 7000 miles last year with none showing up on the odometer.You have to pull the fuse identified in the owners manual. I also use the SMI brake system so the things that I need powered are. You also have to start the engine and run it in neutral every 250 miles to lubricate the transmission and to charge the battery. I am surprised that you did not drain your battery if you did not pull the right fuse.
Do you have to reinstall the fuse when running the engine say at a rest or fueling stop while still hitched up?
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #79
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stant View Post
Do you have to reinstall the fuse when running the engine say at a rest or fueling stop while still hitched up?
No. The car will start and run fine without the fuse.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
I realize that this is an old thread but it may help someone doing a search. I have towed a 2012 Equinox for a year now. The fuse that needs pulled to keep from registering mileage is #32 in the panel on the passengers side of the console below the dash. The manual has this and the towing information. I replaced the fuse with a blown fuse and connected wires to it through a new fuse holder and rocker arm switch. I mounted the switch on the drivers side under the dash. One thing you need to remember, that fuse also supplies power to an ignition solenoid. If the switch is left open or the fuse blows, the ignition key can not be removed unless you turn it off fast. If you turn it slow, it recognizes that the solenoid did not operate so the key won't come out. This sounds kind of crazy but I was made a believer.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I realize that this is an old thread but it may help someone doing a search. I have towed a 2012 Equinox for a year now. The fuse that needs pulled to keep from registering mileage is #32 in the panel on the passengers side of the console below the dash. The manual has this and the towing information. I replaced the fuse with a blown fuse and connected wires to it through a new fuse holder and rocker arm switch. I mounted the switch on the drivers side under the dash. One thing you need to remember, that fuse also supplies power to an ignition solenoid. If the switch is left open or the fuse blows, the ignition key can not be removed unless you turn it off fast. If you turn it slow, it recognizes that the solenoid did not operate so the key won't come out. This sounds kind of crazy but I was made a believer.
interesting, I have only towed my 2013, a few times and have juust pulled the fuse to do so. I have about 3,500 on it and the last couple of days I have noticed that I have had trouble getting the key out. will try your trick the next time.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #82

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I realize that this is an old thread but it may help someone doing a search. I have towed a 2012 Equinox for a year now. The fuse that needs pulled to keep from registering mileage is #32 in the panel on the passengers side of the console below the dash. The .manual has this and the towing information.I replaced the fuse with a blown fuse and connected wires to it through a new fuse holder and rocker arm switch. I mounted the switch on the drivers side under the dash. One thing you need to remember, that fuse also supplies power to an ignition solenoid. If the switch is left open or the fuse blows, the ignition key can not be removed unless you turn it off fast. If you turn it slow, it recognizes that the solenoid did not operate so the key won't come out. This sounds kind of crazy but I was made a believer.
How did you connect the wires to the blown fuse?? I tried using a blown fuse o my HHR, ended up soldering and crimping wires then pushing into clips where fuse once was. Would prefer a better way on our Equniox.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #83

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Used spade end soldered to universial fuse holder to new switch and back to another spade wire end. Filed spade ends down slightly to fit in existing fuse socket. Have never had a problem with our 2011.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #84

Ford Super Duty Owner
I HAVE A QUESTION AND AM LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER ON A 2013 EQUINOX. I AM LOOKING FOR A WAY TO DISABLE MY BRAKE CIRCUIT. I USE A Rvi BRAKE AND WHEN THE BRAKE IS ACTIVATED IT LIGHTS THE TAIL LIGHTS WHICH INTERFERES WITH THE SIGNALS FROM THE MOTOR HOME ( NO TURN SIGNALS AS THE BRAKE LIGHTS BEING ACTIVATED FROM THE TOAD WILL NOT ALLOW TURN SIGNAL TO SHOW). I DO NOT WANT TO INSTALL A BRAKE RELAY AS CUTTING THE WIRE TO BRAKE SWITCH TO INSTALL THE RELAY HAS THE POTENTIAL TO EFFECT WARRANTY. I AM LOOKING FOR A FUSE TO PULL TO DISABLE THE BRAKE LIGHTS. ANYONE WHO OWNS ONE OF THESE VEHICLES KNOWS THAT FINDING THIS FUSE IS NOT AS EASY AS IT SOUNDS. THIS CIRCUIT IS QUITE COMPLEX. HELP, MOE

Tags
towing