Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2015, 06:44 PM   #1

Flat towing 2015 F-150 problem

We purchased a 2015 Ford F-150 to tow behind our motorhome. The owner's manual has clear instructions on how to put the transfer case and transmission in neutral. I get a display on the dash confirming it's ready to tow. But, one problem I'm having is the F-150 security alarm (flashing lights and horn honking) starts as soon as I pull ahead with the F-150 in tow. I guess you have to leave the doors unlocked when you tow? Has anyone else had issues towing their F-150?
ChiefC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't lock my doors on my toad or coach while towing. In case of an emergency I want full instant access.

I have fire extinguishers available on both sides of the coach in the bins and one in the toad.

Does the alarm go off if you leave the toad unlocked?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I doubt if the doors have anything to do with it. Does it stop alarming if they are unlocked?

The anti-theft system thinks the truck is being stolen, i.e. moved without the keys. If the key in the ignition (ACC mode) or the coded key (chip) present? What does the owner manual say about the alarm? The 2015 Ford Owner Manual has a section on Anti-theft that includes detection of theft or tow-away. Supposedly this can be customized when the anti-theft is armed, but I couldn't find it in the one I browsed. See your owner manual or ask a Ford dealer for help.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:25 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
ChiefC, looks like it depends on how you activate the system.
1)Reduced Guard (If Equipped)
To monitor the following:
• Doors.
• Hood.
• Tailgate.
Lock your vehicle using the key in the driver
door lock cylinder.

2) To monitor the following:
• Doors.
• Hood.
• Tailgate.
• Movement inside your vehicle.
• Change in vehicle inclination, for
example, unwanted towing.
Lock your vehicle using the remote control
or the power door lock control with the
accompanying door open and then close
all doors.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:44 AM   #5

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It is, needless to say, embarrassing to pull away with your tow vehicle honking its horn and flashing its lights. I looked again in the owners manual for the 2015 F-150, but specifically for Anti-Theft Alarm. Unlocking the doors did stop the alarm horn from honking. Leaving them unlocked when towing the F-150 was the only thing that worked to keep the alarm from activating while under way. Just have to remember to lock the doors when stopping somewhere for lunch.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
ChiefC, re-read my post if you lock the door from the outside with the key it will not alarm when being towed.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We have never had an alarm go off on our 2014. I'm thinking we may have just hit the door lock button, since the key remains in the ignition. Then we use the digital pad to unlock. We don't always lock the door while towing, just when we think about it or when we park somewhere and leave it unattended.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We have never had that problem on our 13 , but we did have to install a charge line.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
The 2015 F-150 Lariat has an Advanced Security Pack including SecuriLock®
Passive Anti-Theft System and Inclination/Intrusion Sensors. The way you arm the system determines which features are active.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefC View Post
We purchased a 2015 Ford F-150 to tow behind our motorhome. The owner's manual has clear instructions on how to put the transfer case and transmission in neutral. I get a display on the dash confirming it's ready to tow. But, one problem I'm having is the F-150 security alarm (flashing lights and horn honking) starts as soon as I pull ahead with the F-150 in tow. I guess you have to leave the doors unlocked when you tow? Has anyone else had issues towing their F-150?
What light kit did u use to connect to the Rv?
petegemelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #11

I used the BX8848 tail light wiring kit, diode, installed by a Blue Ox dealer. This kit was used because there is no room in the 2015 Ford F-150 tail light assembly for another bulb. The BX8848 kit has worked flawlessly since May 2015 and about 15,000 miles. A link to the Blue Ox information on the 2015 F-150:

http://blueox.com/products/baseplate...-ecoboost-acc/
Old 09-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
This is my tow lights cost about $30 on eBay, if you have a toad brake that mashes the brake peddle the toad brake lights will cover up your coach turn signals if you don't install a fuse bypass or a brake light relay. I was using a Roadmaster Brakemaster but I installed a M&G (easy install ) about a month ago, I love the M&G.

I see the light picture didn't make it they are LED light strip attached to the bottom lip of my tail gate.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
This is my tow lights cost about $30 on eBay, if you have a toad brake that mashes the brake peddle the toad brake lights will cover up your coach turn signals if you don't install a fuse bypass or a brake light relay. I was using a Roadmaster Brakemaster but I installed a M&G (easy install ) about a month ago, I love the M&G.

I see the light picture didn't make it they are LED light strip attached to the bottom lip of my tail gate.
Tell me about your M&G install..... I am looking at a new brake system and saw that on the M&G website they say:

SELF INSTALLATIONS: In rare cases, very qualified mechanics can successfully install the system on some vehicles. We do not recommend this approach as it has often proven to be trouble-prone

Sort of turned me off that product if they say it is so hard to install.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:02 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Pan I have looked at the M&G for years and I felt the same way as you but after reading Fire Up explanation on his install on his GMC pick up I bought one for my F50 and it is a easy install, one of the concerns is the brake lines but that can be easily worked out. On my install the hardest part was relocating the coolant tank and not the M&G . What vehicle are you looking at for the install, they don't have all toads available .Check out post #7 in my past.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/insta...ff-248724.html

Tags
tow, towing