Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #1

Flat towing 2015 Ford Fiesta ST

We just bought a 2015 Ford Fiesta ST (Manual Trans.) and like to tow it 4 down. Did anybody flat towed a Ford fiesta ST? If so, then where can we buy the bar/plate for the front? Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Doing a quick browse it appears the '15 is unchanged from the '14 and BlueOx has the baseplate for the '14 so you should be able to get one thru etrailer.com or other online blueox dealer.

Were you going to install it yourself or have it done? If you need a dealer local to you I would call BlueOX - they're very helpful, service is outstanding from them.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After reviewing the owner's AND supplement manual for my FOCUS ST, it was not clear if I could or could not tow 4 down. Since I had a dolly, I opted to use it. As it turns out, the Ford towing guide states you can not tow the Fuchs ST 4 down. You may want to look at towing guide for the Fiesta ST for the absolute answer.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
After reviewing the owner's AND supplement manual for my FOCUS ST, it was not clear if I could or could not tow 4 down. Since I had a dolly, I opted to use it. As it turns out, the Ford towing guide states you can not tow the Fuchs ST 4 down. You may want to look at towing guide for the Fiesta ST for the absolute answer.
Cannot go wrong with towing on a dolly but I did not see any indication in the Focus owners manual and supplemental guide about not towing 4 down. After reviewing the 2014 Fiesta ST guide (Ford has not posted the 15 yet) I did not see any indication that it cannot be towed 4 down.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought I read recently where someone had dug into this and spoke with engineers at Ford and found out they had changed the design of the transaxles and were no longer good to go for flat towing. It could also just be Ford covering their behinds for liability reasons.

I'm also inclined to think enough people do it or you wouldn't find a base plate available for them.

You'll definitely want to dig into it some more.

Now I'm curious why you didn't do this before you bought it??
Old 08-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Assuming the 2015 Fiesta ST is the same as my 2014, it is not flat towable. All Fiestas except the ST are towable. The information is not easy to find. Remco and an online PDF from Ford state this. It is not in the owners manual. A dolly is the way to go.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately, I cannot go for the dolly method since my storage space is limited (Can only fit my RV). Are there other methods? Also, if it helps, I attached photos of the towing section of my '15 Fiesta manual. Though I'm doubting if the manual is correct or not. Should I go call Ford about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
Assuming the 2015 Fiesta ST is the same as my 2014, it is not flat towable. All Fiestas except the ST are towable. The information is not easy to find. Remco and an online PDF from Ford state this. It is not in the owners manual. A dolly is the way to go.
kjburns, I'm curious on why ST models cannot be towed. Do you have any information on the issue? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0810141651a.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	70449   Click image for larger version

Name:	0810141652.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	70450  

Old 08-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's something about the transaxle. Quite a few manual trans cannot be towed flat. Some autos can and some sticks can - gotta choose right.

My subie is allwheel drive and tows like a dream. I got my kid a Mazda3 with a 6 spd manual and it cannot be towed either. It is a nicer driving car than the Crosstrek and I would take one in a heartbeat, but if no RV towing then it's crossed off the list.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I'm sure it's something with the transaxle. The other Fiestas have a five speed and the ST has a different transaxle with a six speed. There is something different about it, but I don't know what. I was surprised to find the ST couldn't be towed since my initial research showed all Fiestas, auto or manual, could be. Even the manual and the supplement didn't say anything.

It wasn't until I bought one that I found that it couldn't be towed. I've always flat towed Jeeps, a Cherokee and two Grand Cherokees. I really wasn't thrilled about towing with a dolly, but I do really like the car. It is a hoot to drive, so that makes up for the inconvenience.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:40 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
This is the PDF from Ford that states that Fiestas are towable, except the ST. See page 11 for the bad news.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #11

Thanks for all the information guys! I'll see what are my other options. I'll send an email to Ford and see what they'll say. Thanks again.

Tags
ford, tow, towing