Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2015, 07:54 AM   #1

Flat towing

Hi Guys,

I currently tow a Honda civic using an acme dolly with surge brakes, works great. DW is not very good at guiding on etc. I just retired and want to get a newer luxury car and I am thinking about the Lincoln MKC. both FMCA and MH magazines say it is towable flat. I have several questions that I am having trouble getting clear answers for.

I Does anyone tow a Lincoln MKZ? any Issues?
2 What is the best towbar? I know there will be different opinions but I need the nitty-gritty, not just the sales hype
3 Best source for base plates and tow bars?
4 What is the best Braking system? Is wireless good?
5 I would plan on having electrical hard wired into the tow vehicle with a just plug in type harness/connection. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance

Michael Boyle
2009 HR Neptune 35SBD, Cummins 340, Allison 6. Air brakes. Hot to trot!
Boyle908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2015, 08:32 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check with M&G to see if they have a brake unit for the MKZ. Very fine brake system and NO electrical problems.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built in ReadyBrake! It is the least expensive package out there. The towbars are rated at 8000 lbs, the ReadyBrake is simple, easy to install, yet effective. I've never understood why anyone would want to use anything else! JMHO!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:04 PM   #4

x 2 on the Readybrute Elite tow bar. Blue Ox makes a baseplate for the MKX
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:20 PM   #5

You are talking about a vehicle that is above average weight. If it were my decision, I would go with the BlueOx Avail. This is a 10,000 Lb steel bar with extra length to allow for tighter turns. See attached link.
As for a braking system, there are many on the market and IMO, are all good. Some maybe better than others but they all have pros and cons. The BlueOx Patriot for instance requires zero modification to your vehicle and can be switched easily from one vehicle to another. The con is that it takes about two minutes to install and set up each time you hook up and you need to store the device when not in use.
I have not had experience with other braking systems but can say that I have about 20,000 miles with my BlueOx and have no complaints what so ever.
You will not go wrong with the BlueOx Product.
Regardless of what you pick, proper installation, care and use is "Critical"

BX7420 Avail Towbar | Blue Ox
Old 12-31-2015, 06:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you go with the Lincoln it will defiantly need a charge line or a toad charger, most of the Ford products toads will have a dead or low battery after a day or two of towing. The charge line is easy to install and cheap and the toad charger are reasonable cost. The tow brackets tow bar and toad brakes are going to be a personal decision, I would look at the brackets installation breakdown on line and decide, I personally like Roadmaster brackets, Roadmaster Brakemaster toad brake and M&G if they make one to fit your toad, M&G is hands down the best toad brake out there in my opinion but they don't make one for the MKZ.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing