Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #1

Flat towing

I hope someone can help. We just had a base plate and a brake buddy installed on a 2013 Ford Flex. As we are getting ready to leave the dealership, the car want start. Can't think of anything that would have been done to cause a problem, but I am not qualified so can't be sure. Any advice would be appreciated.
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #2

Does any dash lights come on with ignition? tells if you are getting voltage to switch. Is the shifter in park, might have bumped out of gear and neutral safety switch preventing starting. Could a wire have been bumped and a disconnect at a connector or end?

All else fails you could disconnect battery and see if that reset cures whatever might be preventing it from starting.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:17 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby49 View Post
I hope someone can help. We just had a base plate and a brake buddy installed on a 2013 Ford Flex. As we are getting ready to leave the dealership, the car want start. Can't think of anything that would have been done to cause a problem, but I am not qualified so can't be sure. Any advice would be appreciated.
'

I guess I don't understand. If you are still at the dealership, and the car operated fine before they worked on it.....seems to me that this is their problem and they should figure out what is wrong. They obviously did something to cause this.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #4

We had that happen when we had base plates installed on our Sonic. I think they ran our battery down while trying to figure out the electrical connections from the coach to the car. Once we charged the car battery everything was fine.
Dan and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:58 PM   #5

Make sure they didn't install a switch for fuses and it is on.
Wbitz81670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:27 PM   #6

Installing a base plate and a Brake Buddy should not affect wiring. Now, if they also wired the lights in the car, that could be your problem (or as pointed out, their problem. Your car started fine before they worked on it!) Good luck
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:02 AM   #7

Quote:
As others have stated, if you are at the dealership as you say, why are you asking the forum for help? We would have no idea what they may have done. I hope you walked into their service dept and told them to fix it.

EdIT: I removed the big rear rubber flap and stopped all rock chips on the Avalanche and trailer. The individual flaps behind the wheels is all that's needed to do the job. FWIW, I have a brand new "Still in the Bag" Protect-a-Tow kit that I won't be needing.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #8

I was at the dealer, however they could not find the trouble. Ergo, I went to the professionals.

After having the vehicle towed to a mechanic I trust (at their expense) discovered a blown fuse and a missing fuse. To rhetoric dealerships credit they have agreed to reimburse me.

Thanks to all of you for your willingness to help.
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:26 PM   #9

Quote:
I was at the dealer, however they could not find the trouble. Ergo, I went to the professionals.
After having the vehicle towed to a mechanic I trust (at their expense) discovered a blown fuse and a missing fuse. To rhetoric dealerships credit they have agreed to reimburse me.
Thanks to all of you for your willingness to help.
Arby49
Glad to hear that!

But sad to hear that that dealership does not hire professionals.
I suggest the next time you need work done...go the mechanic you trust FIRST.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing