Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:06 AM   #1

Flat towing a 2012 Ford Fusion fwd 3.0 V6

We purchased our MH last Saturday and had the Blue Ox and a brake system installed on the Fusion. We followed the instructions according to the owners manual for towing. We got home from our 3.5 hour drive and the Fusion battery was completely dead. After reading on here about my battery issue, I found that a dead battery was probably the least of my worry. I read about all of the transmission failures and that Ford has rewritten the owners manual to state the the Fusion can not be flat towed. Now I've got all this money in the towing setup and do not want to risk towing it flat again. As of right now, I have charged the battery and the car seems just fine. I would be satisfied if Ford made the car towable or bought the base plate and harness from me, reimbursed me for the labor and replaced the plastic piece in the bumper that had to be cut for the base plate.

Can anyone give me advice on how to handle this with Ford?

bluegrassrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Who sold you the base plate? Most places I've seen that sell the plates are specific about what models can be towed. Your post sounds like Ford sold you the tow plate and installed it. Is this correct?

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #3

Call the Ford Customer Service 800 number in your owners manual, to start. Get their response in writing. Then contact an attorney if they refuse to provide assistance.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #4

I bought the base plate from Tom Johnson's Camping Center. We went by the owners manual.

I'll call Ford and see what they say.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Blue ox wouldn't sell it if you were in danger. For cars you can't tow their website tells you that.

Blue Ox Products

You should be ok, but you might need a battery hookup. I would still call ford and ask.
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 07-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can also call blue ox, they are really good people with a lot of knowledge
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 07-16-2014, 07:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I might have missed it, but is your Fusion the Hybrid? I believe the Hybrid is the only Fusion which is towable 4 down because of the CVT transmission.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:11 AM   #8

My Fusion is not a hybrid. According to the owners manual the 3.0 V6 fwd can be towed, the 3.5 V6 and/or awd can not be towed. I haven't spoken to Ford yet, but I plan to.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I feel for you but have you thought about just letting the car idle when you tow the fuel usage would be almost nothing also would not need to install a charge wire. We had a member on another forum that came from Canada to Florida each year and pulled a Lincoln town car with the enbine idling
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
What are the chances of letting the fusion go and picking up something right for the towing you want to do? There are a lot of good but inexpensive cars that double well for a toad and a grocery getter.

That's how I ended up with the cheapy subaru (manual base model), all in all though, it's been an excellent car that we paid 15k for. Sold our other cars outright.

Some really like to to tow expensive cars like the grand cherokee... or even the CRT I thought was too much money for what it was.

So, interested in hearing your resolution and welcome to the world of Motorhoming.. it's a never ending story (cupie doll for anyone who sings that) of stuff like you've just experienced. And that's ok, because the freedom is amazing.
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 07-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #11

I talked to the Ford dealer where we bought it and they said go ahead and tow it according to the manual, it's under warranty. I'll probably install a charge wire from the coach to the Fusion battery or leave it running at idle. I've thought about towing my truck but I really don't want to tow a one ton dually and I don't want to spend the money on setting it up to tow because I really don't need a dually anymore. Hopefully, I'll be able to sell or trade it soon. We are looking to replace it with a suburban. I know Suburbans are very tow friendly as are most GM 4x4's. Then the Fusion can rest easy in the driveway. I just wish I had not spent the money for the tow setup on it.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The little bit that I've read about cars that were first ok'd by the manufacturer to be towed and later disallowed, which includes some Fords and Chevys in which some models share the same transmission believe it or not, is that in some cases it's just a matter of making sure the transmission fluid level is not too high. It seems the transmission is ok to pull 4 down if the fluid level is in the low end of still being full instead of the high end of being full on the dip stick, if that makes any sense. I'd ask your dealer for approval to tow in writing and stating that the warranty will cover it if any problems develop. It'll be interesting to see if he's willing to put his own words into writing.

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing